Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nose on my JOF55 is just a tad too wide, solutions to reduce width and/or alternative noseless saddles?
Quote | Reply
I've been using this saddle since 2015 (though technically only for 2.5 years, as I was off the TT bike for two years due to injury). The width at the nose is 60 mm, which is 20 mm more than the width on my Cobb V-flow Plus. While the JOF55 was fine back when I rode outdoors quite a bit, but it's rather aggravating to ride indoors, which I have to do due to the winters here in Madison.

Would I be able to say, zip tie the split nose to reduce width of the saddle? If not, any other similar saddles with a narrower nose?

I would ride a V-flow Plus, but I experienced soft tissue pain issues that went away on the JOF55. Otoh, due to the shaping of the chamois on various shorts I have, I tend to get quite a bit of chafing, even though the chafing "disappears" on the very same shorts when I ride the TT bike outdoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Nose on my JOF55 is just a tad too wide, solutions to reduce width and/or alternative noseless saddles? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could zip tie the rails under the nose to make it narrower. I do this on my ISM PN1.1 but I use a metal hose clamp instead of a zip tie.
Quote Reply
Re: Nose on my JOF55 is just a tad too wide, solutions to reduce width and/or alternative noseless saddles? [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went from the JOF55 to the Randee which is narrower then went to a Fabric saddle bc the Randee is still too wide.

If you want to try the randee lmk I think I still have it laying around somewhere.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Nose on my JOF55 is just a tad too wide, solutions to reduce width and/or alternative noseless saddles? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you know the nose width of the Fabric? CycloLogic got me to switch from the Fizik Arione Tri 2 to the Bontrager Hilo. (I'm actually riding my wife's Hilo Comp for the moment.) It's alright for a 4km individual pursuit but I'm not sold on it for the long haul. However, I will say the Hilo is multitudes better than any stock ISM saddle that I've ridden.
Quote Reply
Re: Nose on my JOF55 is just a tad too wide, solutions to reduce width and/or alternative noseless saddles? [Ohio_Roadie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the 50-52mm wide range.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.dashcycles.com

Strike is 48mm nose, Stage is 50 in narrow. I have a stock Strike and I love it. Not sure I need 48mm, but it does get wider as it goes back so you can find the spot for your tush to snuggle into and set it up there. It's also nice to sit up for climbing since it's got sides.

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Nose on my JOF55 is just a tad too wide, solutions to reduce width and/or alternative noseless saddles? [Emma'sDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the responses :)

j.shanney wrote:
You could zip tie the rails under the nose to make it narrower. I do this on my ISM PN1.1 but I use a metal hose clamp instead of a zip tie.

does the clamp wear away at your shorts? I thought about this (clamping it or using something), but it just seems that the shorts might get ruined from the rubbing

desert dude wrote:
I went from the JOF55 to the Randee which is narrower then went to a Fabric saddle bc the Randee is still too wide.
If you want to try the randee lmk I think I still have it laying around somewhere.

I think i'll lay off of the Randee, as it doesn't seem that much narrower.

Emma'sDad wrote:
https://www.dashcycles.com
Strike is 48mm nose, Stage is 50 in narrow. I have a stock Strike and I love it. Not sure I need 48mm, but it does get wider as it goes back so you can find the spot for your tush to snuggle into and set it up there. It's also nice to sit up for climbing since it's got sides.

Matt

Have you used any other JOF (as in literally, junk off the front) saddles? If so, how would you compare the Strike to them?

The thing I like about the JOF is the firmness of the saddle, and it'd be ideal if the Strike would be similar
Quote Reply
Re: Nose on my JOF55 is just a tad too wide, solutions to reduce width and/or alternative noseless saddles? [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j.shanney wrote:

I'd also consider trying the Power from Specialized. I'm testing one out now (Arc Expert 155mm), and really like how narrow it is up front. Combined with how short it is, I feel zero thigh chafing or rubbing. I *think* I might want a bit more curve (or 'arc') to it, a la SMP, but I really like how minimal the front end is. It's on my short list of favorites. If you like really flat saddles, the non-Arc would be for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it’s pretty dang firm actually, but I’ve not ridden any other noseless saddles. Heckuva lot more firm than ISM thumb test in store IMO. For $$$, you can get custom to however you like. I think they do testers too.
Quote Reply
Re: Nose on my JOF55 is just a tad too wide, solutions to reduce width and/or alternative noseless saddles? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got a JOF55 also, but said within the last 10 years on this forum I wished it was a bit narrower--great saddle. But am considering a Dash for the next saddle or bike, to at least try. Have you tried the Dash for long distance comfort & aside from price, what doesn't "do it for ya" regarding that vs say--the JOF55?
Quote Reply
Re: Nose on my JOF55 is just a tad too wide, solutions to reduce width and/or alternative noseless saddles? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not desert dude, but had the Dash saddle been more affordable when I was looking, I'd certainly have given it a try.

On the road, I've used V-Flow Plus since 2011, so when I needed a noseless for the TT, my preference was Cobb, despite how heavy the JOF55 is.

It's just that the nose width is really bothering me in ways I haven't noticed before (and amazing how much less annoyed I am when I get to ride outside)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had similar issues with the 55 and went to ISM Road (PS2.0 now) and it seems to be the ticket for me. Dash was close as was the PN3.1 but i think both are just slightly too hard for my position.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you like the saddle outside, have you considered buying/building a rocker plate?
Quote Reply
Re: Nose on my JOF55 is just a tad too wide, solutions to reduce width and/or alternative noseless saddles? [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not ridden the JOF55. But re: long distance comfort, I've been riding a long time, and I find that a saddle that is actually comfortable initially is nearly always too padded in the long run. I think there's an element of breaking in soft stuff, and I'm not thinking only the saddle as much as your butt. It takes a while to adapt to a new saddle, but if it's close, I've never had it not work out eventually.

Yes, the Dash is firm. I can ride it in aero for 3 hours- I haven't tried longer, and yes, I stand up occasionally. I could not plow through a full hour on a trainer without a brief standing moment, but I've never thought it good for my bits to sit that long anyway.

I guess I just don't like squishy seats. But I really like the Strike.

https://www.dashcycles.com/test-program
It's effectively $50 to test if you don't keep it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the previous generation Hilo is about as narrow a Tri/TT saddle as you will find. One of the models had an adjustable nose width that was similar to the hose clamp idea only much more functional.
Quote Reply
Re: Nose on my JOF55 is just a tad too wide, solutions to reduce width and/or alternative noseless saddles? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Well the previous generation Hilo is about as narrow a Tri/TT saddle as you will find. One of the models had an adjustable nose width that was similar to the hose clamp idea only much more functional.

Was just about to post with the same recommendation to try - the Bonty Hilo RXL Speed Dial. I was struggling with width and this saddle worked for me as I was able to adjust for undercarriage comfort vs inner thigh rub. It isn't perfect and it isn't truly noseless, but it might be worth a bash. It hit the sweet spot for me and one thing I like is that it is also comfortable (for me) riding out of aero on the bullhorns, which was helpful at Norseman.

Ta,
Rich.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the JOF 55 and it was almost the perfect saddle for me, I really liked the shape, firmness and rail length but had the same issue with nose width. I bought a Dash and have never looked back. My first Dash was purchased used here and was pretty inexpensive. It was a Stock Stage in the narrow version and upon riding it the first time I was immediately impressed. One thing though, it seems that every race I do I incur a little bit of damage to the leather under the nose. When the volunteers rack my bike they hang it from the nose and it tears, over time it just gets worse. On my current Dash Stage I added a little bit of black gorilla tape to protect it.
Quote Reply
Re: Nose on my JOF55 is just a tad too wide, solutions to reduce width and/or alternative noseless saddles? [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j.shanney wrote:

This is what I do.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Nose on my JOF55 is just a tad too wide, solutions to reduce width and/or alternative noseless saddles? [sorelegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that's kinda the rider review I needed. Agreed that everything else about the JOF55 is fine, just that thing about width that gets me.

Also, which of the two (Stage v Strike) is more similar to the JOF55?
Last edited by: echappist: Sep 26, 19 8:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the bisaddle extt, uou can adjust the width to your liking

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply