Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Northerners....anyone cyclocross thru all weather? I'm thinkin about buyin!
Quote | Reply
My lbs is having a sale and I can pick up a new Bianchi Axis cyclocross bike for pretty cheap. I usually ride a computrainer thru the winter but was wondering if anyone braves the elements and heads outside. Tell me why I should go ahead and buy or why I shouldn't. Thanks.

Doug in MI

Doug in Michigan

Quote Reply
Re: Northerners....anyone cyclocross thru all weather? I'm thinkin about buyin! [campbell53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have trained outside in MN all winter this year. So far it's been not a bad year and you guys get more snow than we do. I can dress good enough for 3hr rides between 25-40 degrees and 2 hours between 15-25. Under 15 it is usually and hour may 1 1/2 before the toes go. So it can be done and so far its been easier than the trainer so I enjoy it. Consideration has to be given on what you will need to get to stay warm in MI for the length you need to train. You have to have layers and the harderst part to keep warm of course is the feet and hands. I have cycling shoes with the am fib Pearl izumi covers. I then have the toes cut off old neoprene booties under brand new Performance neoprene booties all covering two pairs of cycling sox, just enough room to wiggle the toes a little. I use mittens on the hands and that isn't an issue until the end when I'm soaked in sweat. I have an assos ear warmer deal under a Nashbar winter mask and that can get too warm, but that's fine. I also need a good thermal tight and it has to have a windproof front. I alternate what to wear underneat them as shorts is a must and add a pair of longjohns for insulation underneath. This can get expensive, so that must be factored. I purchased the widest 700c tires for my axis and can ride the local snowmobile trails. This can be very hard at times but going slown reduces wind chill and improves bike handling. You may have too much snow to do that though. Those snowmobilers will give you the "what a dumba$$" look and people will think your nuts. One problem that I'm having a hard time with is that your drink (even with stuff in it) will freeze within an hour or two making hydration a problem. Nothing worse than a slushy mister misty headache when your body is qite cold. There will be a time on any ride where I'll hit the sweet spot where I feel great and am not to hot or cold. That makes it worth it and is a signal that it is time to head for home as the big chill will soon set in. Good luck and stay warm
Quote Reply
Re: Northerners....anyone cyclocross thru all weather? I'm thinkin about buyin! [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in MN too, and I have ridden outside all year since I lived here, about 15 years. I draw the line at zero for a commute to work, but I won't just go out for a ride in the winter - takes too long to get dressed. If you are going to ride on the road, get some fenders. Get some good tights, I have old cannondales that are super warm. I think the Craft winnter tights are similar. Big shoes so you can wear extra sox are important, I like big ol wool sox from smartwool, the mountaineer. booties are nice, needed of you are going out for more than 1 hour and it is under 20. Don't pack your feet into existing shoes with extra sox, your feet will just get cold much faster due to decreased circulation. When your feet do get cold they will warm up quickly if you just get off and run for a bit.
Up top I wear a light wool sweater and windbreaker down to around 20 or 25 degrees and add more as it gets colder. A (winter) headband (got mine at target for about 5 bucks) or thin hat will be all you need, a thick cap will be way too much. A fleecy gaiter keeps the neck warm. Wind makes a difference, you will just have to ride some to find what works for you.
offroad you will go slower and so wind will not be as much of a problem, dress so you are chilly for about the first 5-10 minutes, if you are comfy after a block you are probly wearing too much. -Andy

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: Northerners....anyone cyclocross thru all weather? I'm thinkin about buyin! [campbell53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doug,

It really depends on whether your goal is to "train" or to "ride."

I lived in South Bend, IN for 6 years and I've "ridden" in lots of weather. However, it was rarely good quality training. The combination of slick conditions, cold extremities, and limited outdoor time (due to light and misery) rarely made this much more than a group gaggle with friends or a "cabin fever reliever."

If you are trying to "train," stay on your CT. Heck, I rode a lot of trainer miles last SUMMER when training for Kona because it's just that much more efficient when you've got lots to do.

In short, outdoor riding in bad weather will provide a little extra volume or "junk miles," but I don't believe you'll get a lot of quality training miles completed.

My advice is that CCX bikes (I have one) are great for:

1. Commuting

2. Riding in weather ABOVE freezing (30 degree Fahrenheit)

3. Racing CCX

I agree that fenders and extra reflective gear are a must for winter outdoor riding.

Good luck,

Puskas

www.bamcoach.com

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My lbs is having a sale and I can pick up a new Bianchi Axis cyclocross bike for pretty cheap. I usually ride a computrainer thru the winter but was wondering if anyone braves the elements and heads outside. Tell me why I should go ahead and buy or why I shouldn't. Thanks.

Doug in MI

Doug,

I'm in MI as well and looking for a cheap CCX bike! Would you mind sharing the price/info for the bike/LBS you mentioned? THX!

I ride thru the winter in Stony Creek an old/beat-up road bike w/ a way oversized frame... and looking to get into CCX soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Northerners....anyone cyclocross thru all weather? I'm thinkin about buyin! [marko16] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Camelback under your jacket should stay liquid long enough for any workout. Forces you to drink regularly as you have to keep the straw clear.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply
Re: Northerners....anyone cyclocross thru all weather? I'm thinkin about buyin! [puskas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Puskas and all - thanks for your posts. Based on everyone's posts (especially Puskas) I think I'll hold off on the purchase. I live in Niles, MI right next to South Bend and am afraid that the lower quality training is probably right. I had an extra $1000 fall into my lap and thought this would be a good addition to my bike stable but I'll stick with my mountain bike for cabin fever release. Btw, my lbs is Proform bike shop in SOuth Bend. They have a 2004 55cm Bianchi Axis for sale at 10% off list ($1299) making it a buy at $1169 or so. Thanks again all for your responses.

Doug

Doug in Michigan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As much as I love Ken Glick...You can get better deals on CCX bikes than that.

If I were spending my money, I'd take a visit to Ebay and buy a CCX bike this time of year (there were quite a few for sale just after Natz...Held here in beautiful Portland, OR)...

...Or I'd order a Salsa Las Cruces (Scandium) with Winwood Carbon CCX Fork...You can build that rig for about $1200 with Ultegra/XT and have a lighter, better CCX racing bike.

Cheers,

Puskas

http://wattieink.com/elite-team/
Raising funds to help wounded veterans and racing RAAM 2013 with http://team4mil.org/
"If you are gonna charge... CHARGE HARD!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You already have a mountain bike? yes, by all means use that - a cross bike is fun and all, but for winter I think a mountain bike is really what you want anyways. Now, mountain biking on a cross bike in the summertime, that is really fun.

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is ProForm, I'll be in S.Bend this coming week and wanted to drop by.

I know 31/20/933 and some of the main streets, can you give me directions perhaps from 80/90?

Thanks
-SD
d_koesel@hotmail.com

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in Canada and use a mountain bike with studded tires in winter. Sure beats doing all the winter long rides on a trainer. Find the traction on ice better than the traction on rollers.
Quote Reply