Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
North Carolina 70.3 and Hurricane Florence
Quote | Reply
Pink font implied with the thread title.

In all seriousness, I still consider NC home even though I was born and raised in NY and lived the last 15 years in godforsaken TX. The middle third of my life was spent in NC and that was my favorite place to live. My wife's immediate family still lives about 40-45 minutes south of Raleigh.

Everyone be safe in NC, SC, or wherever it hits. Wilmington is dead center of the projected path so it will no doubt take a shot. Thoughts go out to you all and hope for the best. Everyone can worry about the race issues after we see what happens over the next few days. I'm not racing or registered or anything. I just know that someone would ask about it eventually so I thought I'd toss a thread out there.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: North Carolina 70.3 and Hurricane Florence [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know OBX and another tri was cancelled, as well as some other rides and runs. I typically try to do OBX, but luckily this year it wasn't in my budget. Its a shame because OBX was introducing a new run course, but now I guess I can still be one of the firsts to race it next year. Def going to get insurance on the registration though.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

My wife's immediate family still lives about 40-45 minutes south of Raleigh.

I'm in the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area. 40-45 minutes south of Raleigh has got to be near me.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for thinking of us here in Wilmington. Lived here my entire life (51 years) and have never seen people here so nervous. I will be working throughout the entire storm (local power company). So I’m just depressed thinking about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's going to be crazy windy here in Raleigh. Gas stations and grocery stores are nuts right now.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: North Carolina 70.3 and Hurricane Florence [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

My wife's immediate family still lives about 40-45 minutes south of Raleigh.

I'm in the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area. 40-45 minutes south of Raleigh has got to be near me.

Her parents are in Fuquay-Varina and her sister is in Angier.

My brother lived in Southern Pines when he was stationed at Ft. Bragg. Sister-in-law worked at Pinehurst Resort. Played #2 a couple of times for free.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Sep 11, 18 8:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
lived the last 15 years in godforsaken TX.

[pink-ish] Well then go back from where ya came from and don't let the door hit ya in the ass. ;-)

In all seriousness, my wife and I have been watching this storm pretty closely. While we've been through many storms here in Houston over the last 47 years and our kids have for all their lives, this is the first one that one of our kids will go through without us.

Our middle child is a freshman at Virginia Tech and most tracks have the storm stalling out in the Blacksburg and Roanoke area for several days dumping anywhere from 25-40 inches of rain in the mountains. He'll be fine of course with his friends in the dorm but still sucks for him to be so far away. I did authorize him to make a grocery run using our credit card this morning and I think he bought about $100 of Oreos, Pringles and beef jerky and no water. He's prepared.
Quote Reply
Re: North Carolina 70.3 and Hurricane Florence [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
are you positive that is what he bought. . .or was it beer??

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: North Carolina 70.3 and Hurricane Florence [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:

Probably a trip to the family planning aisle also.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My in-laws retired to Myrtle Beach 15 years ago and live in Carolina Forest. They are in their mid 80's and until this morning were going to try to ride this out. As of 30 minutes ago they were heading for our house on Long Island. I finally convinced them that this is not a storm you want to screw with.

I'm guessing the house will make it, but I fear it will be water locked and powerless for weeks. Not a condition you want an elderly couple to endure, although they are in very good health and tough as nails, like true Long Islanders :)

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:

Ha, if you knew me you'd know that wouldn't bother me at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He said his kid went to VT not ECU.......(half kidding but not really).

Here at NC State we've had classes cancelled Wed by noon. We are getting rainfall every day before this thing hits.....it's not going to be looking good.

But I also read on WRAL that it's going to be slightly downgrade just before landfall (or atleast predicted too).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: North Carolina 70.3 and Hurricane Florence [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

He'll be fine of course with his friends in the dorm but still sucks for him to be so far away. I did authorize him to make a grocery run using our credit card this morning and I think he bought about $100 of Oreos, Pringles and beef jerky and no water. He's prepared.

:) Our daughter lived in mid-town Manhattan during Hurricane Sandy. She and her roommates stocked up on beer, etc., but I made her get cash. Glad I did. Electricity was out for a week and she ended up walking to Brooklyn to stay with a friend who had electricity.

I've done B2B a few times and Wilmington has been complete delight for me. Wishing the residents all the best.
Last edited by: Vienna VA tri: Sep 11, 18 12:54
Quote Reply
Re: North Carolina 70.3 and Hurricane Florence [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

I went to ECU - he is not half kidding. I miss the hurricane parties and jet skiing in the streets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Latest update and forecast is not good with the stall and left turn it's going to make. High winds, rain, and storm surge for 2-3 days on the NC/SC coastal area.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My family has a place just south of Wilmington, so I'm very familiar with the area and I've been following this one closely.

Don't count on 70.3 NC this year if that storm track holds.

Everyone in NC/SC please be safe and smart, especially those who have to stay and work. If you don't HAVE to stay in the coastal area or other areas predicted to be highly impacted, please leave immediately and get somewhere safe. There are better stories to tell your grandkids, but it's on you to be around to both make those stories and tell them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:

Here at NC State we've had classes cancelled Wed by noon. We are getting rainfall every day before this thing hits.....it's not going to be looking good.

But I also read on WRAL that it's going to be slightly downgrade just before landfall (or atleast predicted too).

Here in Hampton Roads they cancelled school starting Tuesday.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live and train here on Oak Island, NC which I'm guessing is ground zero for destruction.

We live in a piling home which will give us an additional 10' of elevation but those 130mph winds will be the killer.

Just went downstairs to undo my Computrainer electronics and get them off the floor, replacing that stuff might not even be possible anymore. My bikes are probably heading for the bedroom, surf boards will stay where they are, just might need them !

Wish my wife and I luck.

Ron W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My brother goes to UNC Chapel Hill and he headed home to Charlotte yesterday after they closed down everything at 5 PM. Up here in Fredericksburg, UMW has even shut down everything starting today at 5 PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IM NC’s first year was 2016 I think after they took over B2B. Hurricane Matthew hit around this time, maybe a little closer to the race. It came up the coast line and I think it just dumped lots of rain, not so much storm surge. I’ve read it dumped 18” in parts of eastern N.C. that was enough that the roads were still flooded on race day and emergency response personnel were still assisting in the disaster recovery efforts. That shortened the full bike course to 56, the same modified course for the 70.3. This storm is calling for 30-40” of rain at the coast. There just isn’t anywhere for the water to go when the Cape Fear river is 10+’ high.

I saw videos on FB today and Southport (southern eastern tip of N.C.) was already flooding during high tide. Already! And the major surge and rains haven’t even arrived yet.

I was born and raised in N.C. and have lived all over the state, including 4 years in Wilmington after college and rode out one minor hurricane. We live in Indiana now but sending mad prayers for all friends and family in the storms path. It’s going to be ugly.

Team Zoot - Great Lakes
Quote Reply
Re: North Carolina 70.3 and Hurricane Florence [tjones2k9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2016 did feature a hurricane two weeks or so before the race and the full bike course was cut in half. The run course is around a lake where gators live. Hope any flooding does not move the gators into new areas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am about an hour and a half North- North East of Wilmington in Kinston, NC and we are pretty much in watch, wait and see mode here. It looks like regardless of where it makes landfall at we are going to get a ton of water.The good news, if you want to call it that, is that the windspeeds have started to slowdown, the bad news is the the speed of the storm itself has also slowed down- which means it's going to be here for a long time and there is going to be a lot of flooding and beach erosion from storm surge. And also the potential for tornadoes. It's going to be ugly the next couple of days.
Quote Reply
Re: North Carolina 70.3 and Hurricane Florence [ckelly22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't even know what to say to you and others that were in the eye of this storm. Thoughts with you all right now.
Quote Reply
Re: North Carolina 70.3 and Hurricane Florence [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks man. Unfortunately it is still raining here in Kinston and the river is starting to flood so our area will be under water for the second time in two years. I’m one of the fortunate ones that lives on high ground and shouldn’t have to worry about getting flooded but I won’t be able to get to work and it will be a challenge getting to a grocery store. But with all of that being said I am in a lot better shape than a lot of people in eastern NC. This storm has been devastating to our area.
Quote Reply
Re: North Carolina 70.3 and Hurricane Florence [biglazybum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess- IM NC 70.3 will be cancelled even though we are what 5 weeks out.

New Bern, NC about 90ish mins NEE of Wilmington is completely under water. They are now going to get crushed by flooding from the rivers. Wilmington is under water and the storm has simply dumped 3+ days of rain on them. They aren't even going to allow their own residents back for a few more days. Mayor is saying power wont be restored for likely 10+ days. Eastern NC is being destroyed as we speak, and we havent even hit the flooding which will be bad. I heard Cape Fear is suppose to crest at something like 63' and flood stage I believe was 19'. Like it's going to be this much devastation.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Sep 15, 18 16:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next