Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Norseman + Zwift = get a chance to race in 2019
Quote | Reply
As a Norseman fan and a person that like tech, I think this is great.
On August 4th you can by training on Zwift win a place in the lottery for the 2019 race.
From the Zwift website.

The Norseman Xtreme Triathlon ranks up there as one of the toughest Iron-distance events on the planet. Fourteen years ago, the first Isklar Norseman Xtreme Triathlon carved its own category in international triathlon. Norseman continues to attract triathletes from around the world in the ultimate test of endurance, grit, and friendly competition through some of Norway’s most amazing landscapes.
Here’s your Viking day: swim 2.4 miles in 55 degree water (basically an ice bath), bike 112 mi // 180 km along Norway’s mountains, and run a hellacious marathon with a summit finish. Competitors gain over 15,000 ft // 5,000 m of elevation in the bike + run, and have to manage on their own. That’s because Norseman is an unsupported race. Bring your own stuff and get your family and crew to carry it. Another rule? A buddy must pace with you for the final 3 miles of the run, as the race organizers are gravely concerned that you won’t make it up the peak.
As such brutal organized races go, entry slots are in high demand and based on a competitive lottery system. We’re lucky to have TWO slots up for grabs (1 male / 1 female) for the 2019 race. You’ll need to make your payment in watts, with a Norseman inspired race in Zwift.
Get ready for the Four Horsemen: Total of 55.5 miles // 89.3 km and 6,929 ft // 2,112 m of elevation gain. We’ll climb every major mountain in Watopia. All finishers will unlock the wicked Norseman kit. We’ll do a random drawing of all finishers under 4:00 across all four races in this challenge, where the winner will be at the starting line in Norway 2019.
IS THIS A RACE?
Yes. Be prepared for fast starts and hard racing against the clock. Pace it out, so you’ve got enough gas in the tank for the final alpine climb and make it across the finish line.
PRIZES
Zwifters who finish the course will unlock the Norseman kit, and own the bragging rights forever. Wear it in style and let everyone in Watopia know you survived the route!
All riders who finish under 4 hours will be entered in a random drawing for entry slots to the 2019 Norseman Xtreme Triathlon.
https://zwift.com/...series/the-norseman/

Quote Reply
Re: Norseman + Zwift = get a chance to race in 2019 [Halvard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is indeed very cool, and just shows the incredible untapped potential lying in zwift!
You can litteraly do training rides and be awarded stuff, that is a great motivator! Smart of them to do random drawing under 4 h to avoid having to check so many files for cheating.

I know we have seen wheels/bikes before, but giving out access to events is pretty cool and good advertisement for companies/products too.
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman + Zwift = get a chance to race in 2019 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't really use zwift but could be interested in trying this, does anyone know how difficult the route would be to do under 4 hours?
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman + Zwift = get a chance to race in 2019 [Joeb100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just looked and most folks I follow have done it in <3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It shouldn't take you much longer to complete the ride than it would take you to do a 55 mile ride outdoors so 4 hrs is pretty generous.

Zwift does slow you down significantly on the climbs but you make back most of the time on the descents. In Zwift you descend at full gas including flying through the hairpins at 30+mph so you get down the mountains unrealistically quickly. I haven't done Alpe du Zwift very often but my average speeds over the mountain climb are close to what I would average on a flattish road training outdoors.
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman + Zwift = get a chance to race in 2019 [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
That is indeed very cool, and just shows the incredible untapped potential lying in zwift!
You can litteraly do training rides and be awarded stuff, that is a great motivator! Smart of them to do random drawing under 4 h to avoid having to check so many files for cheating.

I know we have seen wheels/bikes before, but giving out access to events is pretty cool and good advertisement for companies/products too.

ST'er TriowaCPA recently won an entry from Zwift into one of the TT stages at the Tour of California (or at least I think that was the race).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at the strava segment leader board for that route, it appears 1151 people have done it in sub 4. So I would say not overly difficult, as long as you are ok with a 3-4 hour trainer ride. (that's honestly probably the hardest part)
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman + Zwift = get a chance to race in 2019 [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:

I won a trip to Daytona, FL (airfare, hotel, rental car, invite-only group ride, and access to one of the car races; just had to pay for meals outside of events and bike transport), without even realizing I had entered a drawing for it, by doing a group ride on Zwift.

Try not to drown / rock the bike / hobby-jog
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman + Zwift = get a chance to race in 2019 [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
It shouldn't take you much longer to complete the ride than it would take you to do a 55 mile ride outdoors so 4 hrs is pretty generous.

Zwift does slow you down significantly on the climbs but you make back most of the time on the descents. In Zwift you descend at full gas including flying through the hairpins at 30+mph so you get down the mountains unrealistically quickly. I haven't done Alpe du Zwift very often but my average speeds over the mountain climb are close to what I would average on a flattish road training outdoors.

That's what I was going to say. You may go 7-10mph up the climbs, but how often do you hold 35-40+mph on descents? You can make any time up on the descents really easily.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! I read reviews about best zwift trainer and I'm thinking of buying one for myself. Want to train at least 20+ hours a week. Hope it'll help me to make my first few sprints next year.
Last edited by: WilliG: Jul 24, 18 1:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gonna give this a go if I can. 4th year trying my luck in the lottery and I'll do anything to improve the odds!!

R
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when i saw the facebook posts about this event i got excited. when i saw on my schedule i was at work all day away from my trainer i got super bummed. really i would be happy as a clam just to get the iskur race suit.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm due for a 4 hour ride that day and will give it a try. I'm a lousy cyclist and my real issue will be spending time on the trainer when I'd rather be outside. It's not that I hold any illusions that I'd win and get to go, but I will look forward to getting my butt kicked. Look for "Cocaine Nick" and say hello if you see me that weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since this event is happening on the 4th. You can watch the coverage of Norseman while you are on the trainer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember that you can do a Zwift race a win a spot in the Norseman lottery.
A new race starts every 4h.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just finished up the 8AM PDT Norseman Zwift race - in for the lottery. We'll see what I'm doing next August :)

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman + Zwift = get a chance to race in 2019 [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any idea how to view the results? Just curious as to the population for the drawing.

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman + Zwift = get a chance to race in 2019 [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked via zwiftpower.com. there's a tab for viewing results.

I'm out running errands right now, but from memory, zp showed 87 folks under 4:00 for the four races.

I figured about 75 guys, so basically 1/75 odds, assuming they throw out the postcard entries a la wtc. The women have much better odds :)

One wild card is whether they use the zp list, which seems to toss out folks without pms, smart trainers, etc.

Good luck!

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman + Zwift = get a chance to race in 2019 [owtbac86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks!

I’m new to Zwift (this was my first ride) and feeling somewhat technologically incompetent.

Found Zwift Power based on your post, and puzzled by the fact I am not included in the results. Maybe I am looking at the wrong page. Do you have a link to the 8am PDT?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman + Zwift = get a chance to race in 2019 [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You definitely picked a monster ride for your first time on Zwift!

Here's the link:

https://www.zwiftpower.com/events.php?zid=74150

Keep in mind, when you look at the time in link above, it says yesterday at 16:00, which refers to London time, but this is the 8:00AM PDT ride.

Team Kiwami
Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Found Zwift Power based on your post, and puzzled by the fact I am not included in the results. Maybe I am looking at the wrong page. Do you have a link to the 8am PDT?
You need to opt-in with your Zwift account in order to see yourself in ZwiftPower results.
It's available at the bottom of this page: https://my.zwift.com/profile/connections
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman + Zwift = get a chance to race in 2019 [SimonN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bingo; thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Norseman + Zwift = get a chance to race in 2019 [SimonN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have just had to do the same and "opt in" to ZwiftPower - but how do i now get my Norseman ride uploaded into ZwiftPower?
When i looked at the approximate numbers of people doing the Zwift Norseman there were at least 600+ doing the event and i would guess that most went under the 4 hour time limit.

Chris Walker.
Gibraltar,
Europe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone here get the lucky 🍀 spot?

WINNER NOTIFICATION: ”The potential Grand Prize winners (or parent/legal guardian for any minor winners) will be notified on or about August 15, 2018 by the Administrator at the e-mail address affiliated with his/her Zwift account or by U.S. Mail.”

And, what is up with this?
”If a winner is a Canadian resident, she must answer unaided a time-limited arithmetic skill-testing question as a condition to winning the Prize.”

WTF? A math test?

Scott
Quote Reply