Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Normatec for pure swimmers?
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I am a triathlete and like the idea of normatec, or Air relax boots, for recovery but I'd like the idea even more if my two kids could use them. My kids are pure swimmers and I just wondered how much benefit the boots are for whole body recovery or is it mainly for leg recovery? I see they also do arm sleeves, but wondered if that was a gimmick add-on or as much benefit as the boots?

Many Thanks,

Tubs
Quote Reply
Re: Normatec for pure swimmers? [Tubs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you're working on justifying a purchase??? I would doubt there would be much benefit to the swimmers. I think stretching and massage would be where I'd put the money for a swimmer. I remember Dara Torres was infamous for her recovery methods, but I have yet to see any recent comments or reviews of any of the "Resistance Stretching" methods she touted. Buy the boots for yourself, but I would not expect much use even with the arm sleeves for swimmers.
Quote Reply
Re: Normatec for pure swimmers? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert on the recovery boots / sleeves, but with swimming the bits that take the most abuse and fatigue are shoulders, lats, pecs, upper back, and not so much the arms themselves.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Normatec for pure swimmers? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I'm no expert on the recovery boots / sleeves, but with swimming the bits that take the most abuse and fatigue are shoulders, lats, pecs, upper back, and not so much the arms themselves.

Jason, have you heard anything about the resistance stretching ideas? Interesting and she used it, but it does after her Olympics. As I'm not following elite swimming any more, is that a thing at all? I know all good swimmers I've known stretch a LOT.
Quote Reply
Re: Normatec for pure swimmers? [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard mention of it, but haven't really seen it done in practice.

I do find that as I'm aging ( and aging sucks, although it is better than the alternative) my flexibility is going to pot. I'm planning on getting in some good strength and flexibility work over the winter.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I've heard mention of it, but haven't really seen it done in practice.

I do find that as I'm aging ( and aging sucks, although it is better than the alternative) my flexibility is going to pot. I'm planning on getting in some good strength and flexibility work over the winter.

I hear you! I keep saying I'll do that but I don't; hopefully this will be the year. That is one thing I always say about swimmers is that the best are crazy flexible, but as triathletes it's usually the last thing we do. Only when we get injured......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tubs wrote:
Hi,
I am a triathlete and like the idea of normatec, or Air relax boots, for recovery but I'd like the idea even more if my two kids could use them. My kids are pure swimmers and I just wondered how much benefit the boots are for whole body recovery or is it mainly for leg recovery? I see they also do arm sleeves, but wondered if that was a gimmick add-on or as much benefit as the boots?

Many Thanks,

Tubs

So I have a set of arms for Air Relax, I do not have a set for Normatec, but I never use the arms, it is just much easier and I feel I need it much more for the legs. I know Greg Mueller's pro squad was here a couple of years ago in Clermont FL and they were in a big swim block swimming 6k-8k a day and I know they were using the arms. To me, even if you are a swimmer, you should be using your lats and your core to drive the workout, not necessarily the arms. You could send him a message on FB and ask for his experience.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A real swimmer would never be caught dead with Normatec boots on. Much less the sleeves.

(yes that is a joke)
Quote Reply
Re: Normatec for pure swimmers? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's Real Swimmer (tm)

they don't wear jammers unless at a shave/taper meet. Only wear Swedes. No watches. Have pulling on the lane line during backstroke sets without coach noticing it down to a science. pre-warmup on deck activation concludes (always) with 3 lat slaps per arm, and a kickboard toss to the far end of the pool.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
that's Real Swimmer (tm)

they don't wear jammers unless at a shave/taper meet. Only wear Swedes. No watches. Have pulling on the lane line during backstroke sets without coach noticing it down to a science. pre-warmup on deck activation concludes (always) with 3 lat slaps per arm, and a kickboard toss to the far end of the pool.

LOL! Perfect and exactly as I remember. I still to this day use the backstroke pull on the lines..... Thanks for the memories.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought a pair of Air Relax boots and they get lots of use with my 15 yo daughter who is a swimmer. But we have also been going to a local "sports institute" where they have compression boots, compex, game ready, cold laser, hot./cold pools, sauna for her, as she had a little tendonitis in the long bicep head starting. In the last month, her pain level with the shoulder is basically gone and I *think* her workouts are more effective. She's a good swimmer, and they are probably 50-65k a week right now?

Time in the boots is as much about relaxing and sitting still for her, I think but she feels like her legs are less beat up than they have been.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of elite swimmers use them...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, we know when you're pulling on the lane line. It's whether or not we decide to call you out on it.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply