Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Normal for Di2 batter to be dead after 2 weeks with no riding?
Quote | Reply
I have the current Di2 road group that’s got less than 2,000 miles on it. Charged the battery 2 weeks ago. Haven’t ridden since and it’s currently dead. Normal? Doesn’t seem normal.
Quote Reply
Re: Normal for Di2 batter to be dead after 2 weeks with no riding? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No definitely not normal.

Is there any kind of error when you plug in to a PC and use the Etube program?

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Normal for Di2 batter to be dead after 2 weeks with no riding? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t own a PC. Mac only!! I’ll prob take it to my LBS before spring riding gets going.
Quote Reply
Re: Normal for Di2 batter to be dead after 2 weeks with no riding? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did you hit a shift button without spinning the cranks? that tends to leave it trying to shift non-stop
Quote Reply
Re: Normal for Di2 batter to be dead after 2 weeks with no riding? [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually yeah. Last time I charged it I shifted the RD back and forth to make sure all was working. Never turned the crank.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s it. I have also had mystery dead battery after a wheel change without shifting up and down (while turning the crank) to settle it in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it only matters if you do not shift back into starting gear when shifting up and down, ie not in same gear so it keeps trying to shift chain over, but cant cuz wheel not turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely not normal, battery lasts for many, many months without any riding.

Lasts for 30-40hrs of riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven’t charged mine since tour down under, which reminds me I really should do that. Are you sure you really charged it or that there is not a loose connection to the derailluer ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It could be the push-the-button-without-completing-the-shift above. OR, did you, by chance, lean the bike against something in such a way that a button was leaned against a surface. (I once leaned my Di2 bike against a work bench overnight. The shifter paddle was the point of contact, so it essentially shifted all night long -- or until the battery ran out.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, it's not normal for the battery to die that soon.

Same thing happened to me last fall. I did IMLOU and before I left home I had it fully charged. All I did was drive 5 hours and when I got to Louisville it was completely dead. Took it to the tech people and they told me that the buttons are super sensitive and something probably lightly touched one of the buttons. Got through my race just fine but I was nervous. Got home and once again it was completely dead. Charged it and let it sit for a few days and sure enough it was dead again. I knew something wasn't right so I took it in.

They asked me if when I check the battery level I turn the crank to give the shifter a chance to change gears. Sometimes the shifters will run and try to change gears, thus draining the battery. Never thought of that. However, they decided to check the wires just to make sure everything was okay and it actually turned out that the wire connecting the battery to the one of the shifters was damaged. It was replaced and I haven't had an issue since. If the shifting thing doesn't work it might be worth taking it in.

I love my electronic shifters but when something goes wrong with them it does become kind of a pain :-)!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What some of the others posters said about accidentally clicking a shift button, not pedaling, and the derailleur trying to shift repeatedly until the battery dies is probably the most likely. It's stupid Shimano doesn't have some sort of failsafe built in to the system so your bike can't try shifting non-stop. It's why I travel with the rear derailleur unplugged so the system is not active and can't shift on accident.

That being said, when I upgraded from the btr2 to the dn100, I was having the same problem you are. I would charge it and the battery would be dead within a week. Once time I charged it overnight, unplugged the system, and plugged it back in a few days later. Dead. Turned out to be a bad battery that was replaced right away. No problems since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few weeks ago Shimano released Etube software updates to help with battery drain problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Normal for Di2 batter to be dead after 2 weeks with no riding? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
What some of the others posters said about accidentally clicking a shift button, not pedaling, and the derailleur trying to shift repeatedly until the battery dies is probably the most likely. It's stupid Shimano doesn't have some sort of failsafe built in to the system so your bike can't try shifting non-stop. It's why I travel with the rear derailleur unplugged so the system is not active and can't shift on accident.

That being said, when I upgraded from the btr2 to the dn100, I was having the same problem you are. I would charge it and the battery would be dead within a week. Once time I charged it overnight, unplugged the system, and plugged it back in a few days later. Dead. Turned out to be a bad battery that was replaced right away. No problems since.

This. From what I was told, the RD senses vibration while traveling and will micro adjust constantly. Unfortunately I found out the hard way last summer when I drove to Vail and started my ride up the pass only to be stuck in the little ring in Front and big in the rear. So I could only climb about halfway up before tapping out then had to coast back to town as I was undergeared to pedal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a similar issue when I upgraded my battery to the latest model. turns out i needed to update the firmware on the system. that seemed to have solved everything for me
Quote Reply
Re: Normal for Di2 batter to be dead after 2 weeks with no riding? [TAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TAC wrote:
dangle wrote:

This. From what I was told, the RD senses vibration while traveling and will micro adjust constantly. Unfortunately I found out the hard way last summer when I drove to Vail and started my ride up the pass only to be stuck in the little ring in Front and big in the rear. So I could only climb about halfway up before tapping out then had to coast back to town as I was undergeared to pedal.

I haven't ever read that. I just meant if one of my buttons got clicked (accidentally) while moving stuff around, it wouldn't be a dead battery hours later when I figured it out. Sometimes I'll go to an event with a friend and our bikes are stuffed into a van instead of being on a rack and it's easy for things to get bumped. Etap will drain (slowly) while moving because movement is what keeps the system (specifically the derailleurs) on. Di2 doesn't stay on due to movement (because the shifters are hardwired to the derailleurs on a charged system) or 'micro adjust' from detecting movement. If it micro-adjusted because of movement, the battery would die way faster from riding.
Last edited by: dangle: Mar 6, 19 10:46
Quote Reply
Re: Normal for Di2 batter to be dead after 2 weeks with no riding? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I had not heard that before either and could’ve been bad information from the bike shop that I asked. I’ve traveled with the same bike on a hitch mount carrier and had no problems. This time it was in a fork mount and would seem that it was caused more from a switch getting hit without turning the Kranks, or the limit adjuster was touching on the big ring in the back. I have heard other cases of that causing adjustment. In either event I was able to charge it that night and had full battery the next day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to think that it shouldnt be normal, but I have had similar issues with the Ultegra Di2 on my Felt IA10. I fully charge and ride, 1 week later its dead.

I purchased a new battery a while back, but never got around to installing it. From this thread it sounds like there could be other causes I wasn't aware of. I'll probably try the new battery anyway since there were certain options in etube I couldn't use with the old one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also make sure your firmware is up2date...there was a firmware glitch related to the new group that caused batteries to drain unexpectedly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I encountered this issue when I started using Di2 on my TT bike. What work for me was to make sure that I never store or transport the bike with the chain on the biggest or smallest cassette cog. If the RD stops aren't perfectly adjusted while you're in the top or low gear, it will drain your battery.
Quote Reply