Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

None Triathlon related : Kevin Durant
Quote | Reply
Can someone explain to me how an injury in Jun 19 will stop someone playing for a year. Even if you had surgery the day after and did a 3 month rehab surely you could come back in Jan 20? Given the experts that are involved and the money that is available I don't understand the time line? Runners have come back quicker from worst injures?

Apologies if we already have an NBA thread but the Nets need KD back to make the game winning shots that KI likes to miss :)
Quote Reply
Re: None Triathlon related : Kevin Durant [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Achilles Rupture recovery timeline among NBA players is a roughly 9-12 months.

Here's some data on historic recovery timeline of recent Achilles ruptures: https://twitter.com/.../1138469292876472321

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have top runners really been back competing at a top level 6 months after rupturing their Achilles? Maybe they have, but that's amazing. Used to be that a ruptured Achilles meant their career would be over or they'd never be the same, so coming back strong after just one season out is great. A few guys came back after only about 8 months out, but none of them were close to their pre-injury level for quite awhile or never.

https://www.sbnation.com/...tate-warriors-future
Last edited by: HardlyTrying: Oct 30, 19 16:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take into account that the guy is nearly 7 foot tall and the impact that pro BBall would have on his ankles, feet & Achilles would be massive. Its not like he is recovering to do a 5 or 10km jog. Plus Achilles are a terrible injury, 6-8 months for most people
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thank you interesting information.
Quote Reply
Re: None Triathlon related : Kevin Durant [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Achilles Rupture for a guy 7' tall to me is going to likely have him going to be a shell of himself. I'm not saying he's going to turn into a 8 pt game kinda guy. But his explosiveness, his defense ability, his shooting are all going to suffer moving forward, let alone he's going to be 32 then. Of course that's not a take ESPN wants to have when he's still basically the face of the NBA and they are "partners".

But his superstar career is going to be done once he comes back. Sure he'll be marked and talked about, but that's from his past ability. He's not going to be the same player, period.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a partial tear of my Achilles and it took me 3-4 months to return to running. I did not need surgery but I cannot imagine a full rupture of the Achilles tendon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Piling on:

My wife, about 125 pounds soaking wet, ruptured her Achilles clean off the bone playing squash. It took her a good while to get back to "normal" and even now, almost 20 years later, the tendon can be stiff or painful. The surgeon recommended she never play squash, volleyball, basketball or a similarly explosive sport ever again. I can only imagine that a 7 foot 250 pound man who does this for a living is going to take his sweet time before he risks the thing rupturing again.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: None Triathlon related : Kevin Durant [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It also should be noted with his "medical" history and what just happened in the post season with his lower leg injury and coming back "too soon"......He came back from an injury after being medically cleared and the same game completely tore his achilles tendon.

Coming back as fast as possible is the furthest thing on his mind anymore. He's going to look out for "him" moving forward...I mean he's always done that, but the circumstances surronding the playoff re-injury is def going to play a role in this "please hurry back KD" timeline.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Achilles injuries in basketball players are one of the biggest/longest injuries to recover from for basketball, unfortunately. There have been quite a few pro basketball players who have undergone this, so they know from experience - even the nonmedical sports commentators are quite aware of it and repeatedly mention the long recovery interval it when talking about expected recovery for KD.
Quote Reply
Re: None Triathlon related : Kevin Durant [sjc166] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sjc166 wrote:
Plus Achilles are a terrible injury, 6-8 months for most people

Yeah I tore both of my Achilles in 2016 and it was a terrible injury for me. I also live in a third floor walk up and had to walk up the stairs basically backwards on my heels.

It’s just a real cruel injury.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: None Triathlon related : Kevin Durant [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Big KD fan, but I doubt he’ll ever be the same. Being 32 doesn’t help. I imagine Brooklyn will regret giving him that huge contract.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How sought after are you if you decline a 30 million dollar option for a season when you're injured for that entire season. LOL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dominque Wilkins came back from this injury 20 years ago. As Cris Carter said, sports science has made huge strides in 20 years. I know a guy who was playing second division soccer tore his Achilles was back playing a year later and was back to what he was. You can also look at Emmanuel Sanders in the NFL he tore his last year and his back to 100%. In fact some observers say he looks faster than before. Of course there is no guarantee that KD comes back in the same manner but even if he is 90% of his former self he will be at top 15 player and yes he's a huge fan draw so thats what's the Nets are paying for.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ground reaction forces during running are 2-3 x bodyweight max. Ground reaction forces during basketball (jumping etc...) 20-22 x bodyweight ground reaction forces. So factor in that he’s 250lbs versus 170lb runner or soccer player that’s a LOT of Nm force being bourne by ligament/tendon/muscle that is structurally same whether 170 or 250 lbs. As pointed out his game play won’t ever be close to being same as in the past.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
newManUK wrote:
Can someone explain to me how an injury in Jun 19 will stop someone playing for a year. Even if you had surgery the day after and did a 3 month rehab surely you could come back in Jan 20? Given the experts that are involved and the money that is available I don't understand the time line? Runners have come back quicker from worst injures?

Apologies if we already have an NBA thread but the Nets need KD back to make the game winning shots that KI likes to miss :)

Because they're paying him $164M over 4 years, probably to be extended again, and it's not worth ruining his career to get him back at anything less than full health. Plus NBA 7 footers tend to be fragile given their massive frames, the game requires a ton of dynamic movement where running is straight line, etc, etc and there's also narratives around franchises prioritizing profits over player health and you don't want to be known as the franchise that ruined one of the best players in the NBA

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: None Triathlon related : Kevin Durant [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
newManUK wrote:

Because they're paying him $164M over 4 years, probably to be extended again, and it's not worth ruining his career to get him back at anything less than full health. Plus NBA 7 footers tend to be fragile given their massive frames, the game requires a ton of dynamic movement where running is straight line, etc, etc and there's also narratives around franchises prioritizing profits over player health and you don't want to be known as the franchise that ruined one of the best players in the NBA

https://www.foxbusiness.com/...9-salary-mlb-players

I had assumed he wouldn't be getting paid for this year but ...

The Nets must of took out some insurance that is a massive bill for maybe never playing again?

PS pretty clear during the last NBA finals what a different KD made to GSW. He is a class act for trying to play and win the championship.
Quote Reply