Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Non Matching wheels
Quote | Reply
Hi
I have been in this forum forum for quite sometime and I would like to check with guys about different wheels for triathlon bike
I have the bolide TR+ and I have 2 lightweight fernweg wheels, now. want to buy a rear Disc Wheel of ROVAL,
doest it make any difference if I'm using. the front wheel of lightweight and the rear wheels is ROVAl Disc Wheel ?

PLEASE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

TONY.
Quote Reply
Re: Non Matching wheels [GOAT12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GOAT12 wrote:
Hi
I have been in this forum forum for quite sometime and I would like to check with guys about different wheels for triathlon bike
I have the bolide TR+ and I have 2 lightweight fernweg wheels, now. want to buy a rear Disc Wheel of ROVAL,
doest it make any difference if I'm using. the front wheel of lightweight and the rear wheels is ROVAl Disc Wheel ?

TONY.
No, other than aesthetics, if that matters to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO going with an aero rear disc first is a mistake. Go with a deeper front first. It may look funny with a smaller rear, but that's the correct order of operations for improving aero.

I doubt with owning Fernwegs that affordability is a big deal. If it is, sell the those and downgrade so you can own all you ever wanted. Lightweight and aero.

But, front then rear.
Quote Reply
Re: Non Matching wheels [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Go with a deeper front first. It may look funny with a smaller rear, but that's the correct order of operations for improving aero.

may also make handling a bit trickier since most front wheels will stall before the rear wheel.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GOAT12 wrote:
Hi

TONY.

You will lose some "cool guy" points for looks but Ride On.....you will be fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serious?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GOAT12 wrote:
Hi

TONY.

put the faster wheel on the back, and the slower wheel on the front. Otherwise the speed differential between the front and back of the bike will cause the frame to stretch and probably explode.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Non Matching wheels [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
GOAT12 wrote:
Hi

TONY.

put the faster wheel on the back, and the slower wheel on the front. Otherwise the speed differential between the front and back of the bike will cause the frame to stretch and probably explode.
Incorrect.
Carbon fiber is far stronger in tension. So you'd be wrong even if it weren't for your more crucial flaw..... bikes are rear wheel drive and mostly front braking, so there's nothing much putting the frame as a whole in tension. Put the quick wheel on the front and there's less compression on the top tube (might be more tension on the downtube but what the hell).

You're welcome
Quote Reply
Re: Non Matching wheels [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
GOAT12 wrote:
Hi

TONY.

You will lose some "cool guy" points for looks but Ride On.....you will be fine.

How embarrassing. I wouldn't be caught dead with an unmatched set. Big L on the forehead!
Last edited by: WHITEJM74: Oct 6, 20 9:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GOAT12 wrote:
Hi

TONY.

10 days on the forum is "quite some time"? Hmm.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You gotta like a guy thats signs his name all caps and then punctuates it with a full stop.

Youd be running a risk with mismatched brand wheels, depending on bearing size they use you could have a rotation friction imbalance which can cause issues cornering and braking

Mismatched wheels on a bollide is about as lame as wearing a mellow johnny shirt and bianchi world championship pista bibs at the same time
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wheels don't need to match/be the same brand. There are lots of top pros who run different brands (typically when their sponsor doesn't make a disc, or if they have the latitude to pick the fastest wheels without sponsor considerations).

Chris Froome at a small race in France (HED3 front, Shimano PRO disc).

70.3 WC Gustav Iden (Zipp front, Corima disc).

TT World Champion Tony Martin (Roval front, HED disc)

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
GOAT12 wrote:
Hi

TONY.

That's terrible logic. You always put the horse in front of the cart. I've always found it an unpleasant experience when my back wheel overtakes the front...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
GOAT12 wrote:
Hi

TONY.

LMAO!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
got to take all the decals off.......you'll need a hair drier or other heat source.
Quote Reply