Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Non-round chainrings, Zwift (and Chris Froome)
Quote | Reply
I watched Stage 6 of the virtual TdF run on Zwift. Ineos' team included Froome - the video of him on the bike/trainer was pretty spectacular - in the shade of a tree with a phenomenally attractive background. But it was totally apparent that he was running non-round chainrings. Actually, pretty extreme non-roundness. Now, maybe this is what he rode pre-crash, or maybe this is some compensatory effort to adapt to any residual effects of his injury.

More importantly (and more generally - I don't care about Froome in the vTdF, or the vTdF overall b/c the charity and novelty/experiment aspect of this event clearly trumped the accuracy and fairness components)...do non-round chainrings provide any advantage/disadvantage in Zwift? Which is another way of asking how individual, controllable trainers/bikes 'handle' non-round chainrings. My guess is that this is known (certainly should be known by the trainer manufacturers, at least for commercially available non-round chainrings).

Just probing the ST hive mind about this and if there *could be* a way to design a chainring that provides some advantage in power reporting... Just to be clear, I'm NOT implying anything negative about Froome, just opening the discussion of the power reported by non-round vs round chainrings from Zwift-compatible trainers (and power meters, I suppose, such as pedal-based or other systems).
Quote Reply
Re: Non-round chainrings, Zwift (and Chris Froome) [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Froome has ridden Osymetrics a long time.

Here's a good article by TomA that dives into the "benefits" of non-round rings.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Non-round chainrings, Zwift (and Chris Froome) [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giorgitd wrote:
I watched Stage 6 of the virtual TdF run on Zwift. Ineos' team included Froome - the video of him on the bike/trainer was pretty spectacular - in the shade of a tree with a phenomenally attractive background. But it was totally apparent that he was running non-round chainrings. Actually, pretty extreme non-roundness. Now, maybe this is what he rode pre-crash, or maybe this is some compensatory effort to adapt to any residual effects of his injury.

More importantly (and more generally - I don't care about Froome in the vTdF, or the vTdF overall b/c the charity and novelty/experiment aspect of this event clearly trumped the accuracy and fairness components)...do non-round chainrings provide any advantage/disadvantage in Zwift? Which is another way of asking how individual, controllable trainers/bikes 'handle' non-round chainrings. My guess is that this is known (certainly should be known by the trainer manufacturers, at least for commercially available non-round chainrings).

Just probing the ST hive mind about this and if there *could be* a way to design a chainring that provides some advantage in power reporting... Just to be clear, I'm NOT implying anything negative about Froome, just opening the discussion of the power reported by non-round vs round chainrings from Zwift-compatible trainers (and power meters, I suppose, such as pedal-based or other systems).

I'd have to guess it shouldn't matter on a direct drive trainer. Most of these events make you use the direct drive trainer power, not a separate power meter reading at an unknown location (pedals, crank, etc...). This makes it consistent, all readings at the trainer. Next, the trainer per the terrain (percent grade) likely just holds a torque on the rotating assembly. The faster you spin through that load, the more power it takes.

I don't think it would suffer from the anomaly that crank meters suffer with non-round rings. Which is a known thing:
https://powermetercity.com/...ers-oval-chainrings/
https://4iiii.zendesk.com/...th-4iiii-Powermeters

So, since the game isn't using your crank power meter in the more "legit" races............shouldn't be anything to gain or lose.
Quote Reply
Re: Non-round chainrings, Zwift (and Chris Froome) [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are Osymetric chain rings still available and for sale? Does anybody know? I went to the website and they show "out of stock" on every single thing.

For what it's worth I feel they work for me and wanted a set for my new gravel bike.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Non-round chainrings, Zwift (and Chris Froome) [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven’t used the Osymmetric rings but I use the Rotor QXL rings and I love them. I have heard that if you are using SRAM you can have shifting problems but I use Shimano and havent had any problems.

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Non-round chainrings, Zwift (and Chris Froome) [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, I knew that Froome was on Osymetric (or similar) previously, but watching him today, the variation in chain position per revolution seemed super noticeable. Maybe the appearance is just because we don't often see him side-on, especially stationary.
Quote Reply
Re: Non-round chainrings, Zwift (and Chris Froome) [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
Are Osymetric chain rings still available and for sale? Does anybody know? I went to the website and they show "out of stock" on every single thing.

For what it's worth I feel they work for me and wanted a set for my new gravel bike.

I have a set of 5 bolt 110 here.
Quote Reply
Re: Non-round chainrings, Zwift (and Chris Froome) [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TizzleDK wrote:
I haven’t used the Osymmetric rings but I use the Rotor QXL rings and I love them. I have heard that if you are using SRAM you can have shifting problems but I use Shimano and havent had any problems.
I have used Rotor Q and QXL fine with Sram and Shimano but I couldn't get Osymetric rings to work at all. They went on and came off my bike pretty quick and back to Rotor.
Quote Reply