Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Noisy hubs (like Zipp's)
Quote | Reply
Here's an unusual question: I'm rebuilding a wheelset, and I really like the noise the hubs like Zipps and White Industries make when they are freewheeling. What other high-quality hubs are "noisy" or "rachety" like those two?
Quote Reply
Re: Noisy hubs (like Zipp's) [Saber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The old version of the Nimble Croswwind hubs were quite "rachety." Of course they weren't made to accomodate spokes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never heard the Zipp or WI hub noise, but Campagnolo rear hubs are quite noisey when freewheeling.

Something that's caused people to go to Shimano gear. But a Campy hub probably won't work in you instance if you run Shimano. What about Chris King hubs?

Sean
Quote Reply
Re: Noisy hubs (like Zipp's) [jaylew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well... it would be sort of hard to build a new wheel with them, huh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well... it would be sort of hard to build a new wheel with them, huh? Exactly my point ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes you can run Campy hubs with ShimaNO parts...

Loudest hands down is Hugi...Chris King is pretty darn loud too.

The loudness is due to stonger springs/pawls in the hub body. You may notice that the hubs that are loud tend to be super high quality hubs too...the stronger springs engage faster than the ShimaNO stuff. I cant remember what one but there is some hub out there with 4 pawl springs in it (Most have 3). And I think that the Hugi has a spring clutch in it as opposed to pawls all together.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Noisy hubs (like Zipp's) [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow......our new hub is loud. i thought people wouldn't like that. how can i use this in marketing?

frank.......renn multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the Rolf Vector Pros were Hugi hubs, and THAT's obnoxiously loud... I had a guy freewheeling periodically next to me on a group ride once and I had to find another spot! TOO much noise!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that the Rolf hubs are obnoxiously loud. Frank, your new hub is pretty loud too :-) It adds to the intimidation factor when I'm in a tuck coasting down a hill, Renn hub buzzing away, passing folks who are pedalling and still going 3-4 mph slower than me with their 32-spoke wheelsets :-o
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry - didn't get your point (or post)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure I understand how you can run a CampagNOlo hub with a Shimano cassette/drivetrain. With an adapter?
Quote Reply