Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Noise coming from inside wheel
Quote | Reply
I have a 40mm Carbon Wheel that was making a strange sound like there is one small pebble inside the wheel rolling around.

I took the tire and tube off and definitely a small piece of something is rolling around inside.

It seems really small and light and I have tried but can’t get it to fall out of the valve hole.

I haven't taken off the rim tape (I have never actually done that myself) but do you think I need to? I mean like take the spokes out and all and try to fix it?

And by that I mean have someone do it because I have no idea how to do it.
Quote Reply
Re: Noise coming from inside wheel [Animalmom2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had something like that once. Just trying to roll it out the valve hole didn’t work, but pointing the valve hole down and shaking vigorously did. It eventually found its way out. It was a small rubber piece that looked like maybe it was from the manufacturing process?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am going to guess a spoke nipple, or least a part of the nipple has broken off. I would fix this because a broken nibble will give you issues down the line in terms and terms of broken spokes. A 40mm carbon rim will be stiff enough that its not always obvious when a failure of this sort occurs.

Given you have a tube removing the rim tape is almost certainly trivial. The vast majority of clincher wheels come set up with a rubber/nylon strip that isn't actually stuck or glued to the rim. All you have to do is physically stretch it and remove it (without breaking it) and then it can be installed back again without any hassle. A screw driver/tire levers can be helpful but its not a technical job. If the wheels are set up tubeless or if they were built to save weight they may have a true tape. In this case you will have to peal off the tape and then re-tape the rim but again its trivial. Electrical tape does the job and all you have to do is cover the holes.

Once the tape is removed you should be able to quickly see if a nipple has broken. If it has that needs to be replaced and in the process you can recover the metal bit in the rim. Replacing the nibble is a trivial task but I guess there is a risk of damaging the rim if you over torque the spoke during install. Also you want to make sure the rim hole did not get damaged and that's what caused the spoke nibble issues. So if you aren't sure take it to shop and they can have a look.
Quote Reply
Re: Noise coming from inside wheel [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much for that - what a great and concise response.

I will follow your advice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this once. I got a piece of super sticky tape, wrapped it tightly around a small screwdriver and stuck it in the valve hole. I worked the noisemaker towards the area then shook. It stuck, and I pulled it out.

Most satisfying bike mechanical work I've done in 10 years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take the rim tape off and shake the wheel until the loose piece falls out.

No need to remove spokes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a rubber sleeve from a Silca valve extender fall into my HED wheel. Not matter what I did to the tape or shaking it, it would not come out so I had to send it to HED to have them remove the fairing and re-skin the wheel. They were great about it though.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It might be a small piece of the plastic bladder used in the mfg process. If so, it’s not structural, just a noisy annoyance.

By the different sounds, you should be able to tell if it is a bladder fragment, or part of a broken nipple (less likely, but not impossible).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Noise coming from inside wheel [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
I had this once. I got a piece of super sticky tape, wrapped it tightly around a small screwdriver and stuck it in the valve hole. I worked the noisemaker towards the area then shook. It stuck, and I pulled it out.

Most satisfying bike mechanical work I've done in 10 years.

This has worked for me as well, though I think I stuck a piece of chewing gum on the screwdriver instead of tape..
Quote Reply
Re: Noise coming from inside wheel [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So this was in the wheel.

My LBS guy has no idea what it is

I can’t figure out how to post the photo but here’s the image url

https://ibb.co/yPqMZmB
Last edited by: Animalmom2: Feb 13, 20 3:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like a plastic covering that is put over some tube-stems. I'm thinking I've seen them on brand new Vittoria latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: Noise coming from inside wheel [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh ok - I use those - the silca ones.

And there you have it.

Cool, thanks Slowtwitch sleuths
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's this:

Last edited by: jaretj: Feb 13, 20 4:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That tube is usually attached to the bladder and is used to blow it up.
Quote Reply