Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No races outside hot season
Quote | Reply
I'm an open water swimmer living in southern China who also do aquathons for cross-training.

All races nearby, apart from one which is my target race next year (including triathlons, aquathons, open water swimming races), are held in extremely hot weather (e.g. 32°C air and 29°C water). There are no wetsuit-legal triathlon / aquathon races in my region, races are never held in wetsuit-legal season, while for open water swimming races, the only race with wetsuit allowed is my target race (while my target is to compete in non-wetsuit category).

I am very afraid of heat, and always do badly in those races, especially the run segment. Also, these races may not be enough to prepare me well for my target OW swimming race (probably the only cold water swimming race in Asia, which is considered the most demanding race in Asia with world class marathon swimmers participating)

The extent I'm heat-adverse is that, I constantly complain about the standard heated pool temperature of 28°C being too hot in the squad training of my triathlon club, sometimes jumping out of the pool between sets to cool down. For me, any temperature where wetsuit is not allowed is too hot, while I swim happily in skin while all other people are wearing wetsuits.

I swam at a local beach today at 20°C air and 19°C water, i.e. standard wetsuit temperature, without a wetsuit for about an hour. I can swim for hours in this temperature but I was tired from the pool training in the morning today (The pool I use is unheated, which was 22°C today which I felt warm but still tolerable). I met a local triathlon club at the beach doing their training, and most were in wetsuit. A guy in that club who didn't have a wetsuit got hypothermia and had to be pulled. In fact, this winter is a warm winter and the normal sea temperature this season should be 16°C, now it is already 3°C warmer than normal. I want to swim in skin in 16°C but I can't, but for those tri guys, it would be cold like hell.

I'm very bored and also frustrated now. I'm bored because I can't train in my desired temperature (16°C water), and also the lack of races now where I can perform the best (I expect my run is at least 20% slower in hot weather (30°C air) than in cold weather (10°C air)), and frustrated because I don't know how I can overcome the hot season and how I can prepare for my target cold water race without any other cold water races.

Can anyone give me guidance how I can overcome my boredom and difficulties, such that I stay motivated for my training and prepare for my target race enough?
Last edited by: miklcct: Feb 9, 19 5:07
Quote Reply
Re: No races outside hot season [miklcct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s kind of hard to help you plan for anything when you’re so vague. You don’t indicate the region within which you live. There are cold weather races all over the place in Europe. Triathlon and SwimRun. In North America you’re more limited but there are options.
Quote Reply
Re: No races outside hot season [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in southern China.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re going to obviously have to travel to find cool weather races from southern China (a long way too). I’d recommend heat acclimatization. Indoor treadmill sessions followed by sauna. In terms of swims, do more indoor swims. You could hop in the sauna for a couple minutes before hitting the pool. It will make the water feel a lot cooler or even cold. Also swimming without a swim cap is an option. Are you able to lose any weight? Extra lbs can compound lack of heat tolerance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
You’re going to obviously have to travel to find cool weather races from southern China (a long way too). I’d recommend heat acclimatization. Indoor treadmill sessions followed by sauna. In terms of swims, do more indoor swims. You could hop in the sauna for a couple minutes before hitting the pool. It will make the water feel a lot cooler or even cold. Also swimming without a swim cap is an option. Are you able to lose any weight? Extra lbs can compound lack of heat tolerance.

Actually we have cool weather and water between Dec and Mar, but I simply fail to find any races in these few months except my target marathon swimming race.

On your point about sauna, I think it is a Nordic-specific thing, isn't it? I have never tried any sauna before as I've only been to the north once in my life and missed that chance, and want to try out out on my upcoming trip to Sweden / Finland this April, combined with cold water swimming.

Also, can you give me some hint how I can reduce my weight? I'm 174 cm tall, and currently at 67 kg. I was only 62 kg when I graduated from university, but after an unhealthy year I became 73 kg, and even with about 14 km of swimming per week now I no longer see any decline of my weight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathlon is mostly a warm weather sport, hence there are no races where you live from December to March. Your weight looks proportionate to your height, so it’s not like you’re overweight and overheating. I live in the southeast U.S. and we have Saunas here. They’re not just a thing in Scandinavia. Saunas are generally pretty universal maybe just not where you’re at. If that’s not an option due to lack of availability then run on the treadmill more and do more trainer rides. Sometimes I’ll do an hour in a small room with no fan or window open. There are ways to build heat tolerance if you look outside your comfort zone. If it’s hot where you’re at then train in those conditions to build tolerance. Start with workouts in mornings or evenings when it’s cooler. Most races start in the morning anyhow.

If none of this works you will have to travel to cooler climates to race or move.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
miklcct wrote:
I am very afraid of heat, and always do badly in those races, especially the run segment.,,The extent I'm heat-adverse is that, I constantly complain about the standard heated pool temperature of 28°C being too hot.... For me, any temperature where wetsuit is not allowed is too hot... I swam at a local beach today at 20°C air and 19°C water, without a wetsuit for about an hour. I can swim for hours in this temperature...I'm bored because I can't train in my desired temperature... frustrated because I don't know how I can overcome the hot season and how I can prepare for my target cold water race without any other cold water races...Can anyone give me guidance how I can overcome my boredom and difficulties, such that I stay motivated for my training and prepare for my target race enough?

You've mentally shut the door on training in the heat. Look at the comments made in your post... Ok it's hot. So acclimate and move on... Tell yourself you like training in the heat... Embrace it... Invoke rule #5... Triathlon is what we sign up for. Embrace the challenge you face... http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Also, can you give me some hint how I can reduce my weight?

Eat less, train more.
Quote Reply
Re: No races outside hot season [TommyTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, we’re telling the guy the most basic advice in regards to addressing his issue and he is acting as if his problem is totally unique and singular. It’s not that complicated as others have pointed out. He just has his mind made up. He acts like being hot natured means Norseman is his only racing option. Here’s an idea, register for Norseman and race in a Speedo to stay cool. Lol!

TommyTris wrote:
miklcct wrote:
I am very afraid of heat, and always do badly in those races, especially the run segment.,,The extent I'm heat-adverse is that, I constantly complain about the standard heated pool temperature of 28°C being too hot.... For me, any temperature where wetsuit is not allowed is too hot... I swam at a local beach today at 20°C air and 19°C water, without a wetsuit for about an hour. I can swim for hours in this temperature...I'm bored because I can't train in my desired temperature... frustrated because I don't know how I can overcome the hot season and how I can prepare for my target cold water race without any other cold water races...Can anyone give me guidance how I can overcome my boredom and difficulties, such that I stay motivated for my training and prepare for my target race enough?

You've mentally shut the door on training in the heat. Look at the comments made in your post... Ok it's hot. So acclimate and move on... Tell yourself you like training in the heat... Embrace it... Invoke rule #5... Triathlon is what we sign up for. Embrace the challenge you face... http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Yep, we’re telling the guy the most basic advice in regards to addressing his issue and he is acting as if his problem is totally unique and singular. It’s not that complicated as others have pointed out. He just has his mind made up. He acts like being hot natured means Norseman is his only racing option. Here’s an idea, register for Norseman and race in a Speedo to stay cool. Lol!

This is my first thread on this forum yet the replies are so harsh. Triathlon isn't my main sport, and if it is really the case, I simply won't do it. I do triathlons only as cross-training between open water swimming and orienteering which need running speed.

Norseman is not for me because it is cross-country, which I absolutely hate to the extent that I even given up forest orienteering despite I love orienteering. Also it's a wetsuit compulsory race, which means an additional equipment to get, and it's uncomfortable to swim in a wetsuit as well. I'm just looking for standard races in wetsuit-optional temperature where I intend to never use a wetsuit.
Quote Reply