Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
No more Triathlon Taren
Quote | Reply

Guess he’s finally admitting he’s no longer triathlon taren. At least he’s being honest about it. Cant say I didn’t see it coming in the past year
Quote Reply
Re: No more Triathlon Taren [Kontich55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Alternative Medicine and Homeopathic Taren" doesn't really have the same ring.

He was at his best when doing local tri's being the "everyman triathlete" . His improvement was impressive, but the channel became about his results at big races (70.3 worlds qualifying, Roth) and ignored the average triathlete that does multiple local races and the occasional long distance. He killed his own brand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i admire the guys who have been doing this for 10+ years. Well I just hit 10, but everyday as Im not hitting previous performances question what I am doing with myself. Seems like '10,000' rule is in effect no matter what hobby you take up. But I am personally fascinated by those who go beyond that time. running, swimming, computer programming. whatever it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It appears he used triathlon as a means to a business opportunity. He could continue a healthy lifestyle and not be so single focused, but instead he's bailing on endurance sports it seems.

His content had really gone downhill along with viewership. It looks like a combination of overtraining, poor diet, over supplementing, and lack of balance caused him to hang it up.

The unfortunate thing is he preached a healthy diet and active lifestyle, but he seems to be walking away from both. It's not like you need to KQ to still enjoy the lifestyle.
Quote Reply
Re: No more Triathlon Taren [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
i admire the guys who have been doing this for 10+ years. Well I just hit 10, but everyday as Im not hitting previous performances question what I am doing with myself. Seems like '10,000' rule is in effect no matter what hobby you take up. But I am personally fascinated by those who go beyond that time. running, swimming, computer programming. whatever it is.

This sport is not about getting better relative to yourself of yesterday or the people around you.

The sport is about getting the most out of yourself with the cards in the hand NOW, enjoying it repeating that daily.

I am 36 years from my first tri and the same process repeats 36 years later. I went from MOP to FOP to sliding way back in the overall, but if I compare what I get out of myself daily it is very motivational and enjoyable for myself. The actual numbers on the clock and power meter and at races are completely different.

on a side note I recently went 4:54 in a half Ironman. My first half Ironman was in 1986, so 35 years ago. I was 20 seconds faster this time....however,

• 1986: no wetsuit swim, close to 2000m climbing between bike and run, 35C heat high humidity in vermont, no wetsuit, standard road bike, no aerobars, no race wheels, no racing flats, water and dates for bike and run nutrition (33 + 2:42 + 1:33)
  • 2021: wetsuit swim, fast bike on a formula 1 circuit, 20C low humidity day, tri bike, aero bars, racing flats, gatorade, coke and gels for modern nutrition (31 + 2;29+1:49)

Still it was cool to beat the 1986 time, but I needed everything lined up in my favour this round to beat it. In 1986, I had youth and a big engine. I ran a 7:08 1.5 miles in my military fitness test 2 weeks later in military issued running shoes (4:43 mile pace). On a good day today, running a 5km at 4:43 per km is a massive acheivement. This was my mile pace!!! But last year I still ran 3200km just because
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably one of the better videos by Taren and I would be curious to hear him a little more about the change as I suspect it also has to do with money. He said he is focusing on business and at the end of the day nearly everyone that sort of rises to the top of influencers realizes that triathlon is still a very small sport. Can he pivot and stay relevant. Only time will tell.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: No more Triathlon Taren [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I liked Triathlon Taron. I only watched about 6-7 of his segments, but they always motivated me and got me refocused to where I would enjoy my training and not just drag through another day. It didn't really matter what he was talking about either. He could be talking about using duct tape to fix a hole in your bike shoes and he would be so animated and excited about it that I would forget about everything that was holding me back in my training and racing and just want to have the same level of excitement and enjoyment for the sport as he had during my next training. I am not trying to KQ or do any international races, etc so yes, his average triathlon guy doing local races material is what worked for me. I skipped over anything else he was doing. Thanks Taron. Good luck at where ever else you are moving on to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So is his trainiac coaching program all done too?

“The answer is hard work. What are you doing on Christmas Eve? Are you riding your bike? January 1st – are you riding your bike?”- Lance Armstrong
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I listened to his podcast the odd time when he had someone interesting on, you could prety much skip the first ten minutes and he'd still be talking about Dogs or something after missing 10 mins of sponsers and other stuff.
Quote Reply
Re: No more Triathlon Taren [608Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty clear that no one has actually watched the video. He's no longer going to refer to himself as Triathlon Taren and the viewers as Trainiacs. He'll still be putting out content, probably as a Mottiv-ator or something like that.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
synthetic wrote:

This sport is not about getting better relative to yourself of yesterday or the people around you.

The sport is about getting the most out of yourself with the cards in the hand NOW, enjoying it repeating that daily.

I am 36 years from my first tri and the same process repeats 36 years later. I went from MOP to FOP to sliding way back in the overall, but if I compare what I get out of myself daily it is very motivational and enjoyable for myself. The actual numbers on the clock and power meter and at races are completely different.

on a side note I recently went 4:54 in a half Ironman. My first half Ironman was in 1986, so 35 years ago. I was 20 seconds faster this time....however,

• 1986: no wetsuit swim, close to 2000m climbing between bike and run, 35C heat high humidity in vermont, no wetsuit, standard road bike, no aerobars, no race wheels, no racing flats, water and dates for bike and run nutrition (33 + 2:42 + 1:33)
  • 2021: wetsuit swim, fast bike on a formula 1 circuit, 20C low humidity day, tri bike, aero bars, racing flats, gatorade, coke and gels for modern nutrition (31 + 2;29+1:49)

Still it was cool to beat the 1986 time, but I needed everything lined up in my favour this round to beat it. In 1986, I had youth and a big engine. I ran a 7:08 1.5 miles in my military fitness test 2 weeks later in military issued running shoes (4:43 mile pace). On a good day today, running a 5km at 4:43 per km is a massive acheivement. This was my mile pace!!! But last year I still ran 3200km just because

The above is more valuable than every TT video ever made, combined.

"FTP is a bit 2015, don't you think?" - Gustav Iden
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"This sport is not about getting better relative to yourself of yesterday or the people around you." The sport is about getting the most out of yourself with the cards in the hand NOW, enjoying it repeating that daily."

This is the key to longevity in triathlon or in any sport. I just discovered it, this being my 25th year in the sport
Quote Reply
Re: No more Triathlon Taren [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbie Hancock wrote:
"This sport is not about getting better relative to yourself of yesterday or the people around you." The sport is about getting the most out of yourself with the cards in the hand NOW, enjoying it repeating that daily."

This is the key to longevity in triathlon or in any sport. I just discovered it, this being my 25th year in the sport

I'm only in my 17th so still a relative baby, but yes, this. And it seems I need to re-learn it every couple years, particularly when things are not going as planned or as well as I'd like.

Doing IM CA as my 6th and will probably be the most undertrained going into it, so need to find different motivations than comparing prior efforts and judging myself based on that metric
Quote Reply
Re: No more Triathlon Taren [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
pretty clear that no one has actually watched the video.

I'm running a perfect game in not having ever watched one of them. Why would I give up a double in the bottom of the 9th?
Quote Reply
Re: No more Triathlon Taren [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
pretty clear that no one has actually watched the video.

I'm running a perfect game in not having ever watched one of them. Why would I give up a double in the bottom of the 9th?

I wish I could say the same thing. He has some kind of road kill-like fascination factor to me.

I actually turned to his videos as a new athlete and was immediately struck by how bad of advice he gives, then his whining weird personality sucked me in as some kind of contest to see how long I could watch before losing my mind. I bet in two years I'm up to 20 minutes of total content watched including about 6 minutes of his latest farewell video. Funny, he struggles with figuring out why so there's so much animosity out there for him, but he never takes any accountability. Anyways, if he was for realz about his new start he'd ditch the screen name and start over. How many would search him out?
Quote Reply
Re: No more Triathlon Taren [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You and me both.
Quote Reply
Re: No more Triathlon Taren [Matt J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% the same
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good riddance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m probably one of the few who is sad to seem him go. He’s not right 100% of the time but he did put out engaging triathlon content about his journey and I enjoyed listening along. Kept me motivated to have a virtual training partner.

I don’t get his reasoning 100%…why aren’t races fun for him? I love races. They can even be fun if your not competing for a Kona slot and are a MOP guy like me. It doesn’t have to be about suffering and time.
Last edited by: Tribike53: Sep 21, 21 12:12
Quote Reply
Re: No more Triathlon Taren [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Idk, seems like he knows he could make more money by going the ben greenfield route. But Ben has the physique
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't followed Triathlon Taren and his journey that closely other than knowing he's out there and listening to his podcast with the PTO Ceo (really good btw).

It seems like he may have fallen into the 5-Step path to burn out that many age grouper do.

Step 1: Sign up for a triathlon
Step 2: Sign up for an Ironman (this could also be step 1).
Step 3: Decide you want to get better and the only way to do this is train with lots of volume AND intensity.
Step 4: Get better (for a while)
Step 5: Get burnt out after 3-5 years and quit sport.

The key to being good at endurance sports is building a large aerobic engine.

The key to building a large aerobic engine is to train consistently over a VERY long time (10+ years)

How do you train for a long time? You don't train too hard. You sleep. You control intensity. You keep it fun.

Go on long bike rides (and don't stare at your powermeter). Stop for coffee. Run trails. Lift some weights. Eat well. Go to bed.

The Norwegians have figured this out.

Mark Saroni
Re: No more Triathlon Taren [Tribike53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As another one who enjoyed watching him (prior to Covid and no races), I understand that he's advice and comments are not always 100% right for me. But he was enjoyable to watch as someone who is a beginner and he was able to motivate me into doing tris.

Covid really messed with his mind. He lost his own motivation and there was even a video several months or a year ago where he talked about this. He said like he thought he liked training for training sake, but learned he liked training for the race outcome sake. This last 18 months derailed him and a lot of other people.

But he's not going away. He is changing the channel to something more broad and around their MoTTiv (or whatever it is called). So, Taren haters rejoice - you can still hate on him. :)

I'm seeing a lot of changes in the YouTube world for many of the channels I watch (on different subjects). The same thing is happening in a lot of cases. Part of this is because of the progress the channels have made going from complete beginner and many years later being much more developed in their area. Even the Vegan Cyclist's videos are quite different than when he started.

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Re: No more Triathlon Taren [Mark S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark S wrote:
I haven't followed Triathlon Taren and his journey that closely other than knowing he's out there and listening to his podcast with the PTO Ceo (really good btw).

It seems like he may have fallen into the 5-Step path to burn out that many age grouper do.

Step 1: Sign up for a triathlon
Step 2: Sign up for an Ironman (this could also be step 1).
Step 3: Decide you want to get better and the only way to do this is train with lots of volume AND intensity.
Step 4: Get better (for a while)
Step 5: Get burnt out after 3-5 years and quit sport.

The key to being good at endurance sports is building a large aerobic engine.

The key to building a large aerobic engine is to train consistently over a VERY long time (10+ years)

How do you train for a long time? You don't train too hard. You sleep. You control intensity. You keep it fun.

Go on long bike rides (and don't stare at your powermeter). Stop for coffee. Run trails. Lift some weights. Eat well. Go to bed.

The Norwegians have figured this out.

Mark - it seems like you have it figured out.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: No more Triathlon Taren [LEBoyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even in a 'confession' video he can't be honest. No one watched his chanel to see him 'train like a maniac'. Its hilarious the dribble he comes up with when trying to justify the change to Motiv. Just be honest and say its for a larger market...
Quote Reply
Re: No more Triathlon Taren [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Probably one of the better videos by Taren and I would be curious to hear him a little more about the change as I suspect it also has to do with money. He said he is focusing on business and at the end of the day nearly everyone that sort of rises to the top of influencers realizes that triathlon is still a very small sport. Can he pivot and stay relevant. Only time will tell.

Doesn't he have over 1k people on some type of subscription on his Trainiac platform? Or is that also being spundown or sold off?

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next