Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No Olympics for Canada - ITU Worlds?
Quote | Reply
Just saw the headline that Canada is not sending athletes to the Olympics, assuming they even happen.

Does this mean ITU worlds is most likely a no-go? Would be a major bummer as I finally got a slot on team USA.
Quote Reply
Re: No Olympics for Canada - ITU Worlds? [ADabs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm competing as well so hope it is on.

The Canadian olympic committee has nothing to do with the ITU worlds (unless it was the governments decision to not go to the olympics, then they may ban ITU worlds also), so hopefully it will be ok.

The olympics takes a lot more time to organize, aparently broadcasters need 2 months to set up in Tokyo. The athletes have to start training again, do qualifying events and then have a bit of a gap before the olympics. The ITU worlds needs way less notice to happen. I would guess if Coronavirus is under control by the end May (which I think is when each federation needs to submit who is competing) that would be plenty of time. But managing to get it under control by then is a big ask.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ADabs wrote:
Just saw the headline that Canada is not sending athletes to the Olympics, assuming they even happen.

Does this mean ITU worlds is most likely a no-go? Would be a major bummer as I finally got a slot on team USA.

The COC has stated they will not be sending athletes to the Olympics if they remain as scheduled this July/Aug. They are not pulling out of the Olympics entirely, but pushing for them to be held in 2021.

Here is a piece of the communication I received today:

The COC’s position to the IOC will reiterate that qualified spots should remain qualified and that we look forward to the updated qualifying process for our remaining team members and that Team Canada is intent on participating. We will send our full team.

What we know about today is that there is no safe way for you to train for the Olympics. What we don’t want to do is put you, your coaches and your families at any risk by trying to be the exception to what is the consistent advice of our national health care professionals. The COC and the CPC are urgently calling on the IOC to postpone the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games.
Last edited by: Josh S: Mar 22, 20 23:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
COC may have made a mistake. The IOC can work with the USOC. These are corrupt organizations. Don't box yourself in so early. HEY USOC, do you want 50% of COC's funds? Don't think they won't play hardball.

But in reality I think most OC's are going to be making the same call this week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been thinking about this too. Unless there’s some miracle vaccine or treatment available soon then even if they hold the race most of those qualified won’t show. Edm is only a 3hr drive from me, so easy for me to get to, but I don’t want to race in a vastly diluted field. Would love to see Edm worlds postponed till 2021, then Bermuda worlds pushed to 2022 etc
Quote Reply
Re: No Olympics for Canada - ITU Worlds? [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
COC may have made a mistake. The IOC can work with the USOC. These are corrupt organizations. Don't box yourself in so early. HEY USOC, do you want 50% of COC's funds? Don't think they won't play hardball.

But in reality I think most OC's are going to be making the same call this week.

COC did not need to box themselves in (I am a Canadian). We could have just said we would not want to participate should WHO declare it unsafe in July and the organizers proceed against WHO's declaration and we would go to the Olympics when WHO declares it is SAFE to proceed and thus should postpone to a safe date later in the year.

In boxing ourselves in we basically hurt all of our athletes who will finish between 4th and 100th place in their events, have no chance of a medal anyway and just want the experience of a lifetime. Our 20 or so medal hopefuls have less of a chance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ADabs wrote:

Not feeling so bad for having to DQ myself at nationals, because of accidentally cutting the course you a mere 8 miles 😂

I doubt they will hold the 2020 world championships
Quote Reply
Re: No Olympics for Canada - ITU Worlds? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m just impressed you managed out accidentally cut an out and back course by 8 miles
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ADabs wrote:
I’m just impressed you managed out accidentally cut an out and back course by 8 miles

Wish I could take credit for being able to do that

😀

Course I was on wasn’t out and back

What course are you talking about?

I was taking about Miamiman HIM distance
Quote Reply
Re: No Olympics for Canada - ITU Worlds? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah - I was talking about Oly distance nats in Cleveland.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ADabs wrote:
Ah - I was talking about Oly distance nats in Cleveland.

Ah sorry about that

My understanding is Miamiman is much easier to qualify vs OH nationals

But knowing my ineptitude I could manage to go 8 miles off an out and back bike course Lol
Quote Reply