Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No Cervelo S3 for 2012?
Quote | Reply
Could be old news, but I just pulled up their website and the S3 is gone.

http://www.cervelo.com/en_us/bikes/2012/
Quote Reply
Re: No Cervelo S3 for 2012? [%FTP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the only real difference between the s2 and s3, was the seat stays, which in the pic on their website of the 2012 s2, has the 2011 s3 seat stays, but the pics aren't the best to know definitively.

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Re: No Cervelo S3 for 2012? [nebmot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To compensate for the skinnier seat stays the S3 has larger chainstays. The S2 pictures on Cervélo's 2012 website show the standard seat stays, not the S3's skinnier stays.
Quote Reply
Re: No Cervelo S3 for 2012? [GregW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, as I am sitting here looking at my S3 next to my desk.

Good call...

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nebmot wrote:
You're right, as I am sitting here looking at my S3 next to my desk.

Good call...

An S3 and a P4? So. Jealous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also ride an S3 and last week rode with someone on an S2 so the differences are fresh in my mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ride on an S2 is much harsher huh?

I swapped with my friend and made it about a block before I wanted to swap back…

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Harsher yes, how much is open to debate. In my experience size and weight has a significant influence. My wife for example complained more than I did when we test rode them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the size and weight of your wife? hahaha
Quote Reply
Re: No Cervelo S3 for 2012? [worldonastrng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forget the S3, the P2 has jumped significantly in price(2011 retail was $2200-2400; now listed at 2800).
Quote Reply
Re: No Cervelo S3 for 2012? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:
Forget the S3, the P2 has jumped significantly in price(2011 retail was $2200-2400; now listed at 2800).

I was looking at a R3 Ultegra and they went from $4000 to $4300. Wish I was getting a 7.5% pay raise for 2012.

18x Ironman, 3x Hawaii
US Army (Ret.), Vietnam Vet ('71-'72)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the sudden absence of the S3 is bizarre.
It is probably the most overly praised aero road bike-ever. Recently, they've just been cashing in on incredible reviews from VeloNews, Bicycling, etc, and they've won a ton of Olympic medals and road stages on it. It is more comfortable than the S5 though marginally less aero.
But it has always been very hard to find/get.

Yet why are they pulling the plug on it now?

I don't get it. Either it was too expensive to build at solid profit margin, it has durability issues, or Cervelo is just dead set at continuing to push the envelope. Given that Cervelo charged less for the base S5 than the S3 leads me to think that materials and manufacturing were somehow higher for the S3.

I think the S3 will go down as a rare and sought after Cervelo, similar to the Super Prodigy.
Bizarre considering the huge popularity of the R3, P2, and P3.

Personally, I own an R3 and an S3. The R3 is incredibly comfortable and a joy to ride long distances. The S3 isn't as comfortable but is exciting and engaging to ride. And it looks awesome (the S5 is ungainly IMO). Shame they are discontinuing the S3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not that it really matters, but I noticed the T3 is gone as well. The Cervelo forums are abuzz with images of the new T4 coming out.

I want a P5 frame at the same cost as a P2. Take that Trek & Specialized!
Quote Reply
Re: No Cervelo S3 for 2012? [twain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twain wrote:
It is more comfortable than the S5

says who?

Quote:
Yet why are they pulling the plug on it now?

The S5 is better in every way?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My take is that they're afraid that people won't choose an ugly fast option over a beautiful "almost as fast" option.

In other words, the P4 traumatized them and they aren't going to make the same mistake twice.
Quote Reply
Re: No Cervelo S3 for 2012? [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
ugly fast

I do agree, the S5 is quite ugly looking. It has to be the head tube and dropped down tube.

I still want one though!
Quote Reply
Re: No Cervelo S3 for 2012? [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ugly fast, haha! So true
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be hard to justify a slot for the S3 among their aero bikes.

Lowest priced S2 at 2800
Base S5 at 3800
Team S5 at 4800
(Last year's technology-slower-than-new-S5) S3 at 6000(?)
VWD S5 at 7500

That line up would not make any sense.
Quote Reply
Re: No Cervelo S3 for 2012? [IzzyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that makes sense. Still why/how is the S5 less expensive than the S3? I guess they are counting on volume and by eliminating the S3 they are counting on sales going to the S5.
Quote Reply
Re: No Cervelo S3 for 2012? [Runless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Runless wrote:

Perfect! Now I'll get more for my P2C when I sell it this spring to buy a P4/Px/P90x/whatever
Last edited by: matto: Oct 13, 11 14:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 S5s are cheaper and 1 is more expensive. The S3 is a pretty light frame and there are 2 ways you achieve that, one is expensive materials and the other is being carefull with how you use those materials.

I think it was Specialized that said that their lightest frame takes so much time to build because the pieces of fabric have to be placed very precisely. They are cut to exact size and have to go just so, to get the overlap correct. The lesser frames are made with oversized fabric pieces so if they aren't placed as precisely their is still the proper amount of overlap.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: No Cervelo S3 for 2012? [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Translation: the S3 was a PIA to make, hence the high price.
The base S5s are easier to make--while the high end S5 is a PIA. To eliminate buyer's choice, eliminate the S3.
I think I am getting it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its likely noit so much about eliminating buyers choice as it is eliminating a bike from the line up that wont sell in sufficient numbers. Better to have that equipment, people, materials going towards building the bikes that will be ordered in much greater numbers.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not a botanist or anything, but I can't imagine the s5 is easier to make.*

The base S5 does however use cheaper carbon which is why it is "heavy"

*the botanist thing is a joke reference to the movie idiocracy. I'm not THAT stupid

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply