Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No Beef with OAR/Russia Winning Olympic Hockey
Quote | Reply
This one is funny for me, and I suspect others are in the same boat. We had the NHL in the last bunch of Olympics as has the NBA, with my assumption is that there is no way the IOC was testing a bunch of doped up NHLers at previous Olympic games.

So my assumption was that I have been watching fully juiced NHLers in previous Olympic games. So no need to ban any Russians and single their hockey players out.

For the other sports, this is not my assumption. For traditional Olympic sports, I have been assuming that what we're watching is not a free for all, but that any doping going on, is low octane, under the radar, conformant with blood passport. Basically not a free for all. My assumption has been that with Russia applying systemic doping in the traditional Olympic sports, this was making the playing field totally skewed. Thus I was/am supportive of Russia being banned from the other sports (and I would prefer if athletes competed as Olympic athletes, not Olympic athletes from Russia).

But for hockey, I don't really care if they call this the Russian team. It feels they are rightfully there on a level playing field with any other hockey team past and present. The entire IOC stance is pretty circular on all of this. Congrats to the Russian hockey team. Bummer for Germany, what a run they had and almost took the win in the 3rd period of game 3. I have not been watching a ton of NHL hockey in the last few years, but enjoyed this Olympic tournament!
Quote Reply
Re: No Beef with OAR/Russia Winning Olympic Hockey [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No "spanish" Beef I assume.
Quote Reply
Re: No Beef with OAR/Russia Winning Olympic Hockey [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Russians won the men's hockey event. IIRC, the Americans beat the Canadians in the women's final.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are very long winded, so my apologies if I interpreted your post wrong.......

So, you are OK with doped up athletes as long as it is confined to (men's) hockey?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
This one is funny for me, and I suspect others are in the same boat. We had the NHL in the last bunch of Olympics as has the NBA, with my assumption is that there is no way the IOC was testing a bunch of doped up NHLers at previous Olympic games.

So my assumption was that I have been watching fully juiced NHLers in previous Olympic games. So no need to ban any Russians and single their hockey players out.

Huh? Why are all nhl players assumed to be "doped up" at all times?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Dev,

I assume that Canada has a US version of Witness Protection for you given your "turncoat" post.

How about Yellowknife for your new address, or, White Horse? Oh, but, I but they take their hockey a wee bit seriously there too. Humm....

:-)

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you’re saying that NHL players are dopers, which is completely unfounded.

In the same breath, you are saying that you’re good with the Russians winning the hockey tournament amid a systematic doping scandal.

You and I think very differently.
Quote Reply
Re: No Beef with OAR/Russia Winning Olympic Hockey [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "Russians" have never won the Olympic gold in hockey.

The Soviet Union has won it.
The Unified Team has won it.
and the Olympic Athlete from Russia has won it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ewwwww - I could never cheer for the Russian hockey team
i'd even cheer for the americans over them.....

this feeling predates the whole doping thing by like a million years, and I feel most Canadians feel the same
Quote Reply
Re: No Beef with OAR/Russia Winning Olympic Hockey [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I guess, the same way NFL and NBA and MLB are generally assumed to be pretty doped up. It is pretty well a doping free for all in big 4 North American sports. Pretty well makes protour cycling or nordic skiing look like choir boys!
Quote Reply
Re: No Beef with OAR/Russia Winning Olympic Hockey [y_nigel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
y_nigel wrote:
ewwwww - I could never cheer for the Russian hockey team
i'd even cheer for the americans over them.....

this feeling predates the whole doping thing by like a million years, and I feel most Canadians feel the same

I never said I am cheering for OAR hockey players. I just said, that I don't have an issue with them being called the Russian hockey team, because in my view big pro sports are a doping free for all anyway, so no need to worry about whether Russian hockey players are clean or not, because watching hockey many of us are assuming the teams are on the same juice as NFL. A sport that requires endurance AND power and has no doping controls with a ton of money at stake.

As for being Canadian and this animosity towards Russia, I have enough exposure to real Russians to see that they are like we are as humans. Just a different language and culture, but that's about it. I grew up during the cold war, and was in the military and going to the shooting range for training and they did not even call the object we shot at a target. It was called "Ivan". That's the degree of stupid brainwashing driven into soldiers to believe all Russians are bad. Fortunately I have enough brains to move beyond the military brainwashing and as much as I don't like systemic doping in sports that are trying to be clean, I also realize that we're not immune over here. We gave the world Ben Johnson and 9.79.

Do you guys remember when the Montreal Canadiens took Vladislav Tretiak in the NHL draft in 1983? All the fans was salivating around having the backstop of the Red Army put on the Bleu Blanc et Rouge uniform for the Canadiens, but the Soviet govt blocked it. Luckily in the next year's draft we Montreal got Patrick Roy...but for a moment we were all salivating about getting Tretiak. When it came to winning no one cared if we got the Russian Hall of Famer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, you're assuming that the Germans are just as doped as the Russians and the playing field is level here? GTFO.
Quote Reply
Re: No Beef with OAR/Russia Winning Olympic Hockey [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*Citation needed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

For the other sports, this is not my assumption. For traditional Olympic sports, I have been assuming that what we're watching is not a free for all, but that any doping going on, is low octane, under the radar, conformant with blood passport. Basically not a free for all. My assumption has been that with Russia applying systemic doping in the traditional Olympic sports, this was making the playing field totally skewed. Thus I was/am supportive of Russia being banned from the other sports (and I would prefer if athletes competed as Olympic athletes, not Olympic athletes from Russia).

But for hockey, I don't really care if they call this the Russian team. It feels they are rightfully there on a level playing field with any other hockey team past and present. The entire IOC stance is pretty circular on all of this. Congrats to the Russian hockey team. Bummer for Germany, what a run they had and almost took the win in the 3rd period of game 3. I have not been watching a ton of NHL hockey in the last few years, but enjoyed this Olympic tournament!

So you're basing your feelings on previous Olympics when NHL players made up the rosters. Do you that is the case for this particular Olympic tournament? I don't know of the entire rosters but it seemed that the OAR team was primarily players from the Russian Pro league and recently retired NHLers. I know the USA team had a number of NCAA players as i believe Canada did. There seems to be a disconnect there.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
PBT_2009 wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

I guess, the same way NFL and NBA and MLB are generally assumed to be pretty doped up. It is pretty well a doping free for all in big 4 North American sports. Pretty well makes protour cycling or nordic skiing look like choir boys!

x2
Quote Reply