Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Your 2020 relationship with alcohol
Quote | Reply
EDIT: This thread started as our traditional Dry January thread, but many people discovered new things about their relationship with alcohol, and ways to make themselves better people with less of it in their lives. The first Sixteen pages chronicle every day of Dry January, and now we are extending the thread to include those who hit the reset button later in February, and for all of us who want to check in for some accountability and encouragement as we make more revelations and better decisions for ourselves.

Feel free to post, especially if you want to try your own stretch of dryness, and follow along with us as we explore this year with meaningful reflection on our habits.

Happy New Year everyone!

As in previous years, many of us partake in a lack of partaking for the first 31 days of the year. This year is no different. Let's get ready to NOT do it!

In the past years, many people have talked about the changes they've experienced in Dry January- shedding of pounds, better sleep, better workouts, and an overall improvement of quality of life. Other people talk about the difficulties of social pressure, stress alleviation, and other obstacles they encounter.

If you'd like to participate, feel free to do so silently, but we've found that there's safety and accountability in numbers, and many of us will be checking in often to talk about struggles, triumphs, and revelations that occur this month.

Good luck everyone, we're all here for each other.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Last edited by: Dr_Cupcake: Feb 1, 20 17:57
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can never get my head around the "no x for y amount of time" challenges. If it worth giving up alcohol for a month, why not give it up altogether?

signed,
someone who previously drank but now does not
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [Klaus Daimler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe some people will decide that it's not worth it, but how will they know either way unless they try?

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this isn't the typical situation, but I've been sober for a little over 3 years now. My life has completely turned around. Sleep is so much better, life is better, I have a lot more mental focus and energy. I just got into endurance sports last year (2019) and I'll be doing my first marathon in March and my first half Ironman in September. Giving up alcohol was definitely the best decision I've ever made for myself.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Maybe some people will decide that it's not worth it, but how will they know either way unless they try?

Fair point. But why bother then? Do people give up things that they know are good for them as an experiment? Honest question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you've quickly become one of my favorite STers.

If I participate in dry January it will be mostly accidental. I rarely drink; alcohol isn't one of my many issues

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Klaus Daimler wrote:
Do people give up things that they know are good for them as an experiment? Honest question.

Of course. Are you perfect at eating? Working out? At work? In your personal relationships? Religion (if applicable)? Try something (or give something up) for a month and maybe you like it and it becomes a habit.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Jan 1, 20 10:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rarely drink, but I love following this thread for all the positivity and support.

I've been "eating like an asshole" for far too long - if only I could give up food cold turkey. :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Klaus Daimler wrote:
I can never get my head around the "no x for y amount of time" challenges. If it worth giving up alcohol for a month, why not give it up altogether?

signed,

Because beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy?

This is an exercise in discipline. Kudos to all that have as much, and as easily, as you do. But for others, this month is eye-opening. It HAS and it DOES changes habits for the people here. And I'd say that no matter what, most of us here develop a much healthier relationship with alcohol after this month, and are more mindful of themselves moving forward.

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [duganator99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duganator99 wrote:
I know this isn't the typical situation, but I've been sober for a little over 3 years now. My life has completely turned around. Sleep is so much better, life is better, I have a lot more mental focus and energy. I just got into endurance sports last year (2019) and I'll be doing my first marathon in March and my first half Ironman in September. Giving up alcohol was definitely the best decision I've ever made for myself.

This is amazing. Congratulations, rockstar!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try something like giving up single use plastic. Run every day for a month. Doable for a short period of time and gives insight into how things are different and can lead to meaningful reduction/inclusion. Going vegan/vegetarian for a short time can make you a much better cook and appreciate cooking. Going low or high cadence on the bike can work wonders for a period if time.

It's about learning. Not for everyone but there is some evidence about setting a routine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:

signed,

Because beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy?

This is an exercise in discipline. Kudos to all that have as much, and as easily, as you do. But for others, this month is eye-opening. It HAS and it DOES changes habits for the people here. And I'd say that no matter what, most of us here develop a much healthier relationship with alcohol after this month, and are more mindful of themselves moving forward.

I would just add that within the individual and within individuals relationship(s) with alcohol are almost never binary....until they are.

This could be just a fun thing, lose a few pounds, sleep a bit better, etc. Or it might help some with ā€œlargerā€ issues.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in. I think it's a great motivator and a great way to start the year.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im in, but it starts tomorrow (: I figure today is still a holiday and I got some holiday beers that I don't want to go bad in my fridge over the next month!

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had to give up running for the last 9 weeks because of hip injury. Makes me realize how much time it takes out of the week running 40 mpw +\-.

Also makes me realize how much I miss it. I find myself driving around checking out running conditions wishing I was running...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Klaus Daimler wrote:

signed,

I agree, I'm 52 and last drank when I was 19, I don't get why people have to drink.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:

signed,

I agree, I'm 52 and last drank when I was 19, I don't get why people have to drink.

Then this thread is obviously not for you.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I gave up drinking on January 1, 2019, and have not missed it. If given a choice in terms of calorie intake I'll choose food over alcohol every time. My fitness goals and body composition goals are much more important to me. Obviously, that doesn't apply to everyone, and that's okay.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triathlete37 wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:

signed,

Well in your marvelous plight you too had a first month. So let people have theirs in peace within this thread. I also bet one or both of you is slightly overweight, or perhaps cheated on something before, or suck at your jobs, has weak EQ / Indulges in something not that great for society. Get over yourselves.

Iā€™m in!
Last edited by: triczyk: Jan 1, 20 12:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I already lost this year.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triczyk wrote:
triathlete37 wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:

signed,

Well in your marvelous plight you too had a first month. So let people have theirs in peace within this thread. I also bet one or both of you is slightly overweight, or perhaps cheated on something before, or suck at your jobs, has weak EQ / Indulges in something not that great for society. Get over yourselves.

Iā€™m in!

Trying to be a pretentious asshole for 2020 too? If so you are 1/366th of the way there. Iā€™d tell you to pat yourself on the back but I am sure you already do.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triczyk wrote:
triathlete37 wrote:
Klaus Daimler wrote:

signed,

Iā€™m in!

Best to ignore. There's a few of these goobers that pop into this thread each year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Iā€™m in. Itā€™s overdue.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2020 [charlie1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stopped boozing four months ago.

BP was elevated on two different meds, and is now normal. Cholesterol was north of 300 and is now 172. Iā€™ve changed literally nothing else about my life. Diet just as bad as always.

Iā€™m sure I was drinking more than most here, but it does go to show how bad the sauce can be. More power to all participating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing whole30 for January so I am in by default.

Gonna be a long month - thank you for postingļ¼
Quote Reply

Prev Next