Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nix biosensors - Real-time wearable hydration monitor
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried this sweat patch yet? I think it's been out in the wild with a few pros in running. Seems like it could be a really good way to dial in race hydration independent of race day conditions since it's based on your current sweat rate. It's more usable than Gatorade's patch since its viewable in real time. Then it tells you how much water and electrolytes you lost, as well as when and how much to drink. Connects with Garmin and Apple watch which is table stakes these days.

https://preorder.nixbiosensors.com/#form
Quote Reply
Re: Nix biosensors - Real-time wearable hydration monitor [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you found any independent studies related to this to verify accuracy or is this in a 'crowd funding' status?
Quote Reply
Re: Nix biosensors - Real-time wearable hydration monitor [iamAERO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested if it works. I can't tell from the limited information, but do you think this is a stick-on type patch or a stick-in (as in there's a needle)?

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i've said this before, but i think a wise person once said that the future of sport is information.

i think a lot of the stuff we're seeing recently are the baby steps - like when a huge digital camera had 5 megapixels and cost $4000.

buuuut, i can see a near-ish future where all this stuff converges. i'm imagining a patch (or pill) that gives you real-time data to your watch/phone/head unit, or a heads-up display on sunglasses/visors, on
-lactate
-hydration
-glucose/calories
-core temp
-key electrolytes?
-etc?

whether we want sport to go in that direction is another question, but i think that's where the tech might be heading . . .

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Nix biosensors - Real-time wearable hydration monitor [bjgwoody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen any data nor received mine to be able to test myself. According to the website, it's a patch that lasts around 20 hours, so no needle.
Quote Reply
Re: Nix biosensors - Real-time wearable hydration monitor [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They plan to measure more biomarkers in the future, which is pretty cool. Not sure how that will work with the pod that goes over it. Then, there's the question of who/what company combine all of that data and pull out insights

And to be fair, hydration and lactate are two of the only ones on this list that haven't been measured accurately in real-time to date
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:
Then, there's the question of who/what company combine all of that data and pull out insights
Send me another developer and we'll be that company! Just need more developer hours and I can write the business logic.

I'm working on the logic for an app that's going to play nicely with future fueling/hydration tech as I write this. Custom fuel & hydration plans → head units, heads up displays, and eventually adapting on-the-fly based on power, HR, ambient conditions, weight on bike, and live biomarker monitoring, once the tech is reliable, useful, easy to use, and widely available.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to resurrect this thread but this just came across my USA Tri feed. Anybody use it over this past year? Anything good to say about it? Seems promising.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Nix biosensors - Real-time wearable hydration monitor [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been one of their beta testers, having done about a dozen trainer workouts with it over the past month. It's kind of become a device that I just put on for every workout, like my heart rate strap. It's cool to see how the interval effects sweat rate. The weirdest thing is how my sweat rate varies with every workout, even for the same workout, after the same eating protocol before, the same hydration during, in the same controlled temperature environment. Not huge swings but definitely different (and validated with weigh ins before and after). Makes it seem like my previous race nutrition was an educated guess at best. Fwiw I did The Core Diet beforehand, so it was aimed at being a controlled plan.

I'm planning to do some treadmill testing in the coming weeks too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:
Makes it seem like my previous race nutrition was an educated guess at best.
Bingo. It was. This is precisely why sweat testing is such a risky endeavor. Most common benefit: "you need more salt." Most common detriment: over adherence to a singular plan for every training session instead of adapting over time and for each training session.

Not only will your sweat rate and sweat sodium concentration change with your training status, it'll change based on recent training stimulus, current weather and recent past weather, etc.

It's why in the app we're writing, the intuitive rating about how much you'll sweat ended up being a far more elegant solution than monitoring, tracking over time, or one-off testing. Turns out, people's intuition starts out pretty good and improves over time. Eventually I hope we'll have enough data (and brains) to predict sweat rates and fine tune fluid recommendations based on historical individual (and maybe group) user data, all before each training session or race, so folks can just plan and prep accordingly.

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the input y'all!

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Nix biosensors - Real-time wearable hydration monitor [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see they have become available to purchase now, given the advertising emails I’ve received last couple of days.

Interesting tech. Looking forward to seeing how it works

Regards, Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
iamAERO wrote:
The weirdest thing is how my sweat rate varies with every workout, even for the same workout, after the same eating protocol before, the same hydration during, in the same controlled temperature environment.

Or, this is a case of the device lacking validity and reliability
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks like they are ‘single use’ patches used with the device. A single use patch is around $6, the separate unit is $129. I love tech gadgets, but this just doesn’t have a value proposition. I’ll just continue to carry a water bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: Nix biosensors - Real-time wearable hydration monitor [iamuwere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I weighed myself and all hydration before and after according to a pretty rigorous protocol, so I'm not sure that's the case
Quote Reply
Re: Nix biosensors - Real-time wearable hydration monitor [vonschnapps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreed... and when they go under in a year or so you are left hanging. I have a few of these wearable that are useless already.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm testing this currently. Happy to try to answer any questions.

YouTube
Quote Reply
Re: Nix biosensors - Real-time wearable hydration monitor [thetrickster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My wife got me a supply of patches and the Nix pod for Christmas. I was all excited to try it out, only to find out they don't have an app for Android phones yet. That seems like a huge miss to me; these days I just assume apps are available for iOS and Android. When I contacted Nix in January, they were targeting a February release for Android. Now the web site shows a March date. :(

On the positive side, they did launch a Garmin data field in Feb, so you aren't hamstrung by having to use their suboptimal watch only app for your workout. But, it appears you have to also launch their app on your phone, to get the data from the pod and transmit it to your watch or bike computer. That seems pretty clunky.

I wish they'd spend some of their advertising dollars on software development.

-Steve
Last edited by: Windscreen: Mar 9, 23 9:05
Quote Reply
Re: Nix biosensors - Real-time wearable hydration monitor [Windscreen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What he said!
Quote Reply