Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [Hingus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't plan to put elastics on my pair but I imagine you'll need a lot of trial and error before risking it in a race because that outwards taper of the lacing gives it a different feel. fwiw, my wife found with her 4% that she can't even have the elastics pulled tight as it hurts her feet.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a pair last weekend in a triathlon. I put a pair of lock laces in and didn't have any more or less issues getting them on in T2 than any other pair of shoes that I noticed.

The only slightly problematic part was fitting the laces as they only just fitted through the the lace holes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just did my first run in them this morning with lock laces - they were easy to get into and the upper held my feet really well, I didnt need to put all that much tension to feel secure. The added heel cushion really locked my heel down. I did a few "practice" T2s with the lock laces before and after my run and they are pretty quick to get on and off - just get the tongue flat when you slide your foot in.

I initially tried to use the Caterpy laces I use on my Altras and those were a fail with the heel on the Next% being pretty regid.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [Beverd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check out Greeper laces. Like normal laces but they have a pull release. You can loosen them up beforehand, slide foot in and just pull the toggle to tighten them up.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [Beverd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [twirpburrows] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
twirpburrows wrote:
check out Greeper laces. Like normal laces but they have a pull release. You can loosen them up beforehand, slide foot in and just pull the toggle to tighten them up.

x2 -- this was exactly my thought when I got my pair in the mail.

With that said, I'm actually considering sending my shoes back for a refund. I just don't think its a great Ironman shoe. Anyone else think this? I've run one Ironman in the OG Vaporfly's and it was 'fine' but I think the new Rincon would be better suited for a 7-7:30/mi pace.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the blue 4%'s and have ran three IM's in them. Still not sold on them but then I am not a huge fan of the drop either. So I am willing to give this new one a try since it appears to be an 8mm drop.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why oh why can't they make a wide version?
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some say the next is wider that the 4%
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mdtrihard wrote:
Some say the next is wider that the 4%

I have normal feet, not wide and I have not run in mine but they fit felt the same. Standing tall, my arch feels like it has zero to no support and the toe bed felt like the OG, not the Flyknit.
Last edited by: BrentwoodTriGuy: Jul 17, 19 16:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure about the next as haven't received mine yet but but I read they are better to get on than the 4%. I have only ever used 4% flyknit with socks but the consensus seems to be they are a a bitch without them. I found with the 4% I had to have a spring loaded elastic lace locker and tighten down once on to work for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sneakernews showed a different color coming

Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
I'm not sure about the next as haven't received mine yet but but I read they are better to get on than the 4%. I have only ever used 4% flyknit with socks but the consensus seems to be they are a a bitch without them. I found with the 4% I had to have a spring loaded elastic lace locker and tighten down once on to work for me.

I never run with socks even for a 70.3 but got blisters with my vaporflys in a 70.3 with socks. So yeah no socks wouldn't be good.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just went for a run in mine.

I ordered 12.5 and 13 and after running in both, the 13’s fit great. They feel a bit roomier in the forefoot than the 4% FK, and the heel locks down better.

The upper material is interesting. Very thin, but feels strong. The lacing took a bit of fiddling, but felt good once I sorted it out. The tongue was fiddly, it kept folding under, but stayed flat once I was laced in. I could see that being an issue in T2.

Overall impression is I like them. They feel like an improved version of the 4%. But man are they bright, haha!! Hoping for a different colorway, like my dark blue 4% FK.

You will never, in your life, have a chance like this again.
If I were you, I would not pass this up. I would not let this go by...this is rare.
Come on...what harm??
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [jf64k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the follow up. I'll probably buy a 13 from Dicks here shortly. I have had a gift card sitting around for a couple of years and it's nice being able to return them to a store 5 minutes from work if they don't fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Went on my first run with them this morning. Feet slipped right in and didn't have too much trouble with the lacing system or with the tongue; love the color. The upper is definitely different - probably more in line with the Zoomfly SP. There is definitely a different feel to them vs. Zoomfly Flyknit as well as the first gen Zoomfly. I need to get more miles to make a more accurate assessment, but I am excited about using them. I probably will track miles on these shoes for grins as I don't typically do that. I get the sense that I will save them specifically for races or the tail end of scheduled long marathon training runs (>16 miles).

Tomorrow is not promised. Increase the Peace.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [JulianM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just got a pair and went on a first run - pretty amazing really. Two things: 1) The medial side of both insoles seem a little rough. I could foresee a problem. I was thinking of putting body glide right along that little rough area. Thoughts? 2) I have always used Xtenex laces . . . I could foresee a problem and wonder what others are using. Thanks.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lock Laces- worked fine at my first race. You do need to be a careful putting them on with that offset tongue, but even with T2 brain I managed.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks - did you have any trouble with rough medial edges of insoles?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
I just got a pair and went on a first run - pretty amazing really. Two things: 1) The medial side of both insoles seem a little rough. I could foresee a problem. I was thinking of putting body glide right along that little rough area. Thoughts?

I have yet to see these in person...are the insoles removable? If so, are they a strange shape that would not let you use another insole? I have always been able to take my training shoe insoles and throw them into my race shoes for blister prevention.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [AKCrafty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
david wrote:
I just got a pair and went on a first run - pretty amazing really. Two things: 1) The medial side of both insoles seem a little rough. I could foresee a problem. I was thinking of putting body glide right along that little rough area. Thoughts?

I have yet to see these in person...are the insoles removable? If so, are they a strange shape that would not let you use another insole? I have always been able to take my training shoe insoles and throw them into my race shoes for blister prevention.

I tried them on in person and no, the insoles seem to be stitched into the soles. However, I could place my ortotics over the insoles. Was this a good idea? No clue. I refuse to pay $400 CAD for a pair of running shoes considering i got 2 pairs of peggie turbos for ~$130 and I love them. Would LOVE to try and use the next% in a run and see if the insole would work (had to size up, not sure if shoe was meant for orthotics or not) but I am not going to throw that much money for those shoes, specially since I have no idea if the orthotics will cause issues with the fit.

But yes, you can lace up the shoes and it felt okay at the store with them in.

Edit: The bounce felt amazing. Not gonna lie, it was pretty insane how much energy you get back from them. Still, I am not fast enough to really feel the need to buy them, but I can totally see them shaving minutes off your marathon time
Last edited by: Aid.dre.an: Jul 19, 19 14:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
david wrote:

I tried throwing my Superfeet Green Carbon insoles ontop of the factory insoles and ran around my place - I don't see that working well over distance. I have pretty low volume feet and things got pretty snug in the toe box, along with the conflicting shapes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AKCrafty wrote:
david wrote:

The insoles are sewn in, same for the VF 4% FK.

ETA: The fiddly lace and tongue issue I had on the first day have vanished...probably user error, haha!! Feet slip right in, laces cinch down very quick and even, tongue lies flat.

Put a few more mile in and they feel great.

You will never, in your life, have a chance like this again.
If I were you, I would not pass this up. I would not let this go by...this is rare.
Come on...what harm??
Last edited by: jf64k: Jul 19, 19 14:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

I did not. Raced in them today for the first time (wore them before but not raced in them)...it was a 5km/50 mi/12.4 mile Du--the run was 90% gravel/uneven surface. Note to others...these suck on gravel only slightly LESS than the 4%. They were better, but I'd advise to use them for paved courses. If on gravel/uneven, use something else--my feet were torn up from sliding left to right in the shoe when I hit large stones on the course which was imbedded in the gravel roads.

I was wishing I chose my Speed Rival 6 shoes today...I have some serious blisters to deal with. It's not just because they are new (there is no breaking in needed on the NEXT %) as it is basically Kelty tent ripstop nylon upper. On a paved road, they'll be awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:

No, but I am a 100% sock guy. Second race in these on Saturday- no issues in T2
Quote Reply

Prev Next