Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [phoenixR34] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
phoenixR34 wrote:
hadukla wrote:
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Cool.
I gotta try them someday.
But something that Nike does not tell you:

A 4% improvement in efficiency does not equal a 4% increase in speed.

I think the NYT article showed it to be fairly true

The NYT article showed they were 4% better than.. not sure exactly. It showed they were 1% better than the Nike Zoom Streak, on average. So technically you could call it the "Nike Zoom Streak 3%".

What Nike has never said is, the Vaporflys are 4% more efficient than what, running barefoot? Running in sandals? If it's *every* other shoe, then that doesn't say good things about the other running shoes they sell.

I'd have to look and see what the NYT article showed exactly.. but it definitely wasn't 4% better than everything else.

The article from NYT wasn't scientific though. Strava data is helpful to create data for an article. But that's a survey and not science when it comes to creating an experiment for you to actually find out.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now that they lowered the offset, I'm going to try a pair...and maybe grab another pair for the secondary market, haha!!

You will never, in your life, have a chance like this again.
If I were you, I would not pass this up. I would not let this go by...this is rare.
Come on...what harm??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
phoenixR34 wrote:
g_lev wrote:
What's the general consensus on these? Is it worth drinking the kool aid?

No. The best part is seeing someone get off the bike in T2, sit down and spend 60 seconds tying their Vaporfly shoe laces before getting out on the run. Chances are any difference the shoes make (if any) offset the minute they spent tying the laces. Sure, people can buy elastic laces, but the lack of awareness about that point is pretty amazing. A pair of Zoot TT shoes (or similar idea) that you can slip in on six seconds seems like it would make the most sense for any distance 70.3 or below.

And even more so is the addition of variables in triathlon that could have an effect on the run performance. In a standalone marathon, there are so many variables that can throw off a shoe experiment. I imagine the fatigue of swimming and biking beforehand makes it even tougher to quantify the difference they make. Give Lionel Sanders some Vaporflys.. will he catch Patrick Lange at Kona?

It's like the disc wheel of running. In a lab, perhaps. For an elite rider who is really pushing it, even more perhaps. For an age grouper.. I'd bet it's more placebo than anything.

Oly/10k and below. a 1:30 half mary with a 4% improve is 1:26:30-ish. I would sit my ass down to tie them tight for a 2.5 minute gain.

I am fairly certain the NYT article meant to say it was 4% better than the average of the shoes they included in their analysis, so different than the Nike claim but probably more powerful. fwiw, it was 4% in two of the methods, 3% in the third.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The info says the US release will be on April 28th through the NRC App. Does anyone know does that mean at midnight, coinciding with the start of the London Marathon (5 a, EDT) or some other random time.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The app says 10am EDT/7am PDT (which is annoyingly the minute my half marathon starts...)

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thanks. I went back and looked and finally found the time. Sorry it is bad timing for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
phoenixR34 wrote:
g_lev wrote:
What's the general consensus on these? Is it worth drinking the kool aid?

No. The best part is seeing someone get off the bike in T2, sit down and spend 60 seconds tying their Vaporfly shoe laces before getting out on the run. Chances are any difference the shoes make (if any) offset the minute they spent tying the laces. Sure, people can buy elastic laces, but the lack of awareness about that point is pretty amazing. A pair of Zoot TT shoes (or similar idea) that you can slip in on six seconds seems like it would make the most sense for any distance 70.3 or below.

And even more so is the addition of variables in triathlon that could have an effect on the run performance. In a standalone marathon, there are so many variables that can throw off a shoe experiment. I imagine the fatigue of swimming and biking beforehand makes it even tougher to quantify the difference they make. Give Lionel Sanders some Vaporflys.. will he catch Patrick Lange at Kona?

It's like the disc wheel of running. In a lab, perhaps. For an elite rider who is really pushing it, even more perhaps. For an age grouper.. I'd bet it's more placebo than anything.

Huh? My Vaporfly Flyknit 4%’s don’t really even need laces. You are just making shit up.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They’re easy enough to slip on with the laces already tied also...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had it in my shopping bag but wouldn't let me pay! F***ers. How do you let someone put it in their bag/cart and don't allow to complete the transaction. It should have been pulled out of inventory pending payment.
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here...and app still shows the 8.5m/10w in-stock but you can’t complete the transaction.

Already listings on eBay, haha!!

Just got to wait til summer.

If I were you, I would not pass this up. I would not let this go by...this is rare.
Come on...what harm??
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [jf64k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, sure enough I didn't run a world record half marathon and lost my chance to grab a pair. On a brighter note, I did beat a guy today who had the black testing version. Oh well, I'll update this thread when the next round comes out.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's available again today

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Last edited by: hadukla: Jul 10, 19 9:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are they available? Not in Nike plus
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [Blizzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blizzard wrote:
Where are they available? Not in Nike plus

Maybe just the app? I just put my shoe in the cart.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Must've been a glitch.. Never received the notification or saw that they were back in stock..
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [Blizzard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not seeing availability either.

I just hope they come in a different color way than “LOOK AT ME!!! green”, haha!!

Come on...what harm??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jf64k wrote:

I just hope they come in a different color way than “LOOK AT ME!!! green”, haha!!
There's a video going around with the Nike designers of the NEXT%. They actually say they chose the color because it is the most visible color to the human eye (or something like that).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jf64k wrote:

Well, if I did hit a glitch that allowed me to order (cc has been charged) and said glitch is a preview of the actual next order (I did get a warning yesterday from the NRC App that it would release soon) then I'm sorry to disappoint but it is still green.

I was expecting the notification from the NRC app but got it from my regular Nike app. Strange that no one else seems to be getting it.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [proftri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can see that! I have the dark blue version of the 4%'s and my wife says she prefers me to wear loud color shoes so she can see me better on the run course. Nevermind that my trisuit has neon yellow on it, she looks at my shoes, go figure!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
proftri wrote:
jf64k wrote:

There's a video going around with the Nike designers of the NEXT%. They actually say they chose the color because it is the most visible color to the human eye (or something like that).

They are fugly as hell. Hope they tone it down to something in the more "normal" color range that can color match more kits. It is part fashion show out there y'know! If you don't race well, at least you should look good & neon green "ain't cutt'n it!"
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
They are fugly as hell. Hope they tone it down to something in the more "normal" color range that can color match more kits. It is part fashion show out there y'know! If you don't race well, at least you should look good & neon green "ain't cutt'n it!"
Well, to each their own. I like the color, and it won't match my kit (blue and orange) at all. (And you probably already knew this, but I'm pretty sure the *very last* think Nike was thinking about was triathletes. I don't think Nike puts a single cent into this sport--no sponsored athletes that I can think of, no ads, no race or team sponsorships. Nothing.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bright orange for 4% and neon green for next are great for marketing

You see a marathon and it seems a good percentage of people have them
Quote Reply
Re: Nike Vaporfly NEXT% [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
phoenixR34 wrote:

Huh? My Vaporfly Flyknit 4%’s don’t really even need laces. You are just making shit up.

Definitely making stuff up on several fronts.

29 years and counting
Last edited by: Jorgan: Jul 11, 19 5:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
proftri wrote:
Rocky M wrote:

Well, to each their own. I like the color, and it won't match my kit (blue and orange) at all. (And you probably already knew this, but I'm pretty sure the *very last* think Nike was thinking about was triathletes. I don't think Nike puts a single cent into this sport--no sponsored athletes that I can think of, no ads, no race or team sponsorships. Nothing.)

I think they sponsor a few ITU triathletes, one or two in Canada and some in France, Vincent Luis I think is the most prominent but who knows what level of sponsorship that is (based on the swoosh being on their kit). Perhaps they simply give them free shoes? But after that, I agree, I think that's about it. They definitely have no interest in triathlon in the US.

Has anyone else been able to order? I got the shipping confirmation as well so it can't be a glitch but I am still confused why it came via the Nike app and not their NRC like I was expecting it to.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It appears they support Lucy Charles in some way as well. She always has the latest gear.
Quote Reply

Prev Next