Quote Reply
Re: Nifty: Painting Giro Empire Shoes [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Posca paint pens also do wonders

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I enjoyed the video. Loved the bright blue shoes, they looked original to me. I thought he was going to paint his blue shoes another color!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wiggins had a sweet paint job on his Giro Empires a couple years ago. I wish I had the talent to do something cool like this

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So for the past year I have been working on customizing shoes. I needed something extra to do during the wild covid times! I have worked mostly on sneakers (Jordans, AF1, gym shoes) but ran out of shoes and the wife didn't want me buying more shoes so I took my neon green Giro AAC and customized them. I wanted to use some bright colors so I went with a 90's theme on them with the stencils on the heel. These would be a perfect match for the older Lampre kits. All I have to say is I am happy I did not have to tape these up too much because cycling shoes are no joke to work on! I guess I have to ride outside now to show them off. Feel free to follow my on IG: https://www.instagram.com/rielleyscustomkicks/

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Matt in the UK for a couple custom shoes. You can see his work and contact him on IG at https://www.instagram.com/fromthefeetupcustoms/

He did these shoes for me to match team kit. The helmet was his first and I think last, because he's really a shoe guy and helmets are a complete PIA to paint.

I also wanted navy blue shoes and since Giro doesn't offer that color, I went ahead and painted them myself. The process is super easy and IMHO they came out great - just what I was looking for, simple and straightforward. Total materials cost using Angelus paint was less than $20, so super inexpensive.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Nifty: Painting Giro Empire Shoes [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I sent you a message in your IG account, but as I'm on ST more than IG I thought I'd reply here too. I've got a pair of Giro Empires that I'd love to have done. How much does it cost? How long? Where do I send them?

Do you do the detailed design for the final painting, or do you expect that to be supplied to you?

Both of my bikes have custom artwork that is quite bright, in a dayglo / psychedelic sort of way. I can send pictures of them as design ideas for the shoes if that would be of any help.

Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For some reason, I really want to dye my vaporflys, but really worry about ruining the function of the foam.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Nifty: Painting Giro Empire Shoes [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which vaporfly? The issue with dyeing/painting foam/midsole, especially that foam, is it takes so much impact and wrinkling that it might not look good for long.. But if you’re talking about the upper it’s doable. Thinking about making my Flyknits a nice brighter color or just freshening them up a bit.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Next% in the original green. I would love to black them out, but like you said, the foam gets really depressed/wrinkled over time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have those too. I don’t think the dye would mess up the foam properties so could add a few coats of black dye then a few coats of paint to midsole and see. Maybe I’ll try that out on a pair of my older pairs and see if it works!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never dyed a shoe before... Once it's done, is there a risk of the paint bleeding? I don't really want to run across the finish line dripping black sweat. lol.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not if you use the right amount of dye! If you use too much it won’t bleed like that but would come off when touched. But there are ways to ensure the dye sets. And if you paint over it the paint wood only crack but won’t bleed.

You have me a new project to do! Might mess around with my older zoom flys or vaporflys when I get some time.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wife had a sneaker customizing business for a few years that I was the lucky recipient of. Angelus is the gold standard for shoe paint as mentioned already. Bike shoes are a bit easier to work on as they don't have quite as much bend a flexibility as most running shoes. A word of caution for those of ya'll wanting to paint your running shoes, you will be running a fine line between thick enough to cover and too much paint that cracks. Wife always went after an airbrush when she did cleats or similar shoes because that seemed the best way to meet in the middle. Second word of caution, don't do it! Once you go down the rabbit hole of customized shoes you can never look at a normal pair the same.
Quote Reply