Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Nice 70.3 Worlds - License and Medical
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I could not find this anywhere. Seems according to this page I need a French one day licence,

http://www.ironman.com/...e.aspx#axzz5sXC29Zi4

I am right that as an athlete with an annual USAT membership, I fit under category "2"...correct?
So I just need to purchase a 1 day French Licence (but I DO NOT need a medical certificate)...

I do not want to get there and be wrong

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Nice 70.3 Worlds - License and Medical [DanCT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for any insight provided on coming from Canada as well. Our provincial triathlon memberships get us a membership with Triathlon Canada, but I can't find anything about if this is a valid ITU license talked about. I've never had to submit a medical form for for these memberships.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Nice 70.3 Worlds - License and Medical [mstewarttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would have a letter from my doctor saying I am medically clear to do triathlons and you triathlon Canada license or whatever nationality you are. The French can be picky about documents. If you have to buy a one day license when there so be it but other two difficult to do on the spot.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The letter from Ironman was probably the most complicated information email I’ve ever received. I actually emailed the, back to confirm that I didn’t need the medical paper. And since Sweden is a ITU affiliate nation I didn’t need one.

It’s pretty funny that according to the first email you actually needed the medical document for most nationalities. This is pretty strange for a race where you have to qualify and perform pretty well over the same distance....that would be proof e ought you are fit to race.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Re: Nice 70.3 Worlds - License and Medical [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, since Canada is an ITU nation too. Probably more confusing since Canada calls it a membership.. emailed referred to an ITU license. Also, I've never had to get a medical slip for membership in Canada, so it's a little strange that because I'm from Canada apparently I don't need one? Oh well, I emailed them back today to clarify.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Dan, an email was sent from Ironman on May 28th regarding this topic. According to the email US athletes need a one day French License and a Medical certificate. If you PM me with your email I'll forward you the email. Or maybe check in your spam folder?

I'm annoyed at the medical certificate. One more (not fun) task I have to do and one more cost. If I was healthy enough to qualify for this race why would my health be in question for Worlds. But I understand there is all kinds of red tape in some countries and who knows what their insurance requires for a race in France.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice 70.3 Worlds - License and Medical [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:
Hi Dan, an email was sent from Ironman on May 28th regarding this topic. According to the email US athletes need a one day French License and a Medical certificate. If you PM me with your email I'll forward you the email. Or maybe check in your spam folder?

I'm annoyed at the medical certificate. One more (not fun) task I have to do and one more cost. If I was healthy enough to qualify for this race why would my health be in question for Worlds. But I understand there is all kinds of red tape in some countries and who knows what their insurance requires for a race in France.

So despite the fact that the US is an ITU-member nation, we still need the medical cert? I was under the impression that the one-day license was enough.

Edit to add: I qualified at Eagleman which was after May 28th, so I didn't receive this email.
Last edited by: g_lev: Jul 2, 19 12:47
Quote Reply
Re: Nice 70.3 Worlds - License and Medical [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Edit: OK I believe you're correct after reading it again. Here's the email:

All athletes competing in France, without exception, are required to hold a valid Triathlon License.

Please read carefully to understand which requirement is applicable to you for the 2019 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship:

1. Athletes holding a valid triathlon license from France, UK, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Switzerland, Italy, Spain, Portugal or the Netherlands.

You will not need an additional license. You are required to bring the following two items to Athlete Check-in:

• Valid Triathlon License (from one of the countries listed above)
• Personal Identification (ID)

2. Athletes holding a a valid ITU license* from a country not listed above.
You are required to purchase a French Federation One-Day License (see below link).

Obtain One-Day License:

FOR WOMEN
FOR MEN

You are required to bring the following three items to Athlete Check-in:

• French Federation One-Day License
• Valid ITU Triathlon License*

3. All other athletes, regardless of whether you hold a valid triathlon license from another country not listed above, or a license from a non-affiliated ITU country*.

You are required to purchase a French Federation One-Day License (see below link).

Obtain One-Day License:

FOR WOMEN
FOR MEN

You are also required to obtain a Medical Certificate. The Medical Certificate must state that you are medically fit to participate in triathlon competition. The Medical Certificate must be less than one year old from the day of your race. (See below link for template).

MEDICAL certificate Template

According to French law and the regulations, a medical certificate is compulsory to obtain a sports license in France.** These obligations apply to every organizer of any kind of competition and all sports. To meet the needs, we suggest you download the medical certificate template above to ensure the same information is provided by your physician. If you use your doctor's regular form please mind that the following data is obligatory: the date of issue, last name, first name, date of birth, stamp and signature of the doctor.

You are required to bring the following three items to Athlete Check-in:

• French Federation One-Day License
• Medical Certificate signed by your physician

Last edited by: 70Trigirl: Jul 2, 19 12:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was somewhat under the impression that a valid USAT membership was the equivalent of an ITU license because the USAT is an ITU-affiliated national governing body. Am I not correct in that assumption?
Quote Reply
Re: Nice 70.3 Worlds - License and Medical [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe from the email it is only these countries that need the medical ceriificate:

Excludes Triathlon Licenses from the following non-affiliated countries: Albania, Bhutan, Brunei, Cape Verde, Comoros, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Federated States of Micronesia, Gabon, Kosovo, Laos, Lesotho, Liberia, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania,
> Montenegro, North Korea, San Marino, São Tomé and Príncipe, Swaziland, Tajikistan, Timor-Leste, Turkmenistan, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Western Sahara, Yemen.

I almost started to question my English skills but since this letter from Ironman also confuses US citizens. Everyone should send Ironman an email asking them about this.

Personal best:
Ironman 9:22:02
Ironman 70.3 4:20:00
Quote Reply
Re: Nice 70.3 Worlds - License and Medical [teinvall] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sounds like most of us don't need the medical certificate. However I just replied back to the email asking them to confirm this.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live here - france

My 3 year old needed a med cert to go to her baby gymnastics

If it says you need a French one day license I think you need the med cert

It's France. I'd get the form filled out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Generally regarding med cert, I had to do it for IM France, so I don't see why we wouldn't need to do it for 70.3 WC. I do agree with others, it is quite silly for a race that *mostly* requires participants to qualify by doing the same distance but at the same time, keep in mind that many triathlon deaths happen in individuals who have done races before AND they do state quite clearly that part of the reason is to stamp out doping. I am not sure how that is achieved by having a physical, but perhaps that bit is a bit more rigorous for French athletes?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70Trigirl wrote:

Yeah, I qualified this weekend so therefore after the 28th. However I’m still in the place of ‘I don’t think I need one but imagine getting there and finding you do...’

Dan
Quote Reply
Re: Nice 70.3 Worlds - License and Medical [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Generally regarding med cert, I had to do it for IM France, so I don't see why we wouldn't need to do it for 70.3 WC. I do agree with others, it is quite silly for a race that *mostly* requires participants to qualify by doing the same distance but at the same time, keep in mind that many triathlon deaths happen in individuals who have done races before AND they do state quite clearly that part of the reason is to stamp out doping. I am not sure how that is achieved by having a physical, but perhaps that bit is a bit more rigorous for French athletes?

What year did you race IM France? I raced in France last year and all we needed was our USAT card and the French Federation One-Day license.

Number 2 on this license page for IM 70.3 WC Nice seems to confirm the same requirement for this season: http://eu.ironman.com/...e.aspx#axzz5sYHgpiEH
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took the med cert to ‘convenient care’ and had it filled out - the irony being I was there for an injury.

I also purchased the 1-day license (I’m in US).
Quote Reply