Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Niagara Falls Barrelman Half Update Thread - Replacing term "Half-Iron"
Quote | Reply
There have been requests for updates on the thread that was posted by Fleck in September and titled New Half Iron Triathlon in Niagara Falls.
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._Sept._2014_P4771473

I have decided to follow-up on those requested updates on this new thread, partly so there was no confusion about the name of the race. It is the Niagara Falls Barrelman Half and is a 2K Swim, 90K Bike and 21.1K Run

First off, thanks to Tommy Ferris of Ignition Fitness for this video which tells you all about the race courses and the weekend of fun available for friends and family.

http://niagarafallstriathlon.com/...o/course-highlights/

Here are the updates you might be interested in:

• Two of the top young guns in triathlon, Cody Beals and Lionel Sanders, will be joining us at Barrelman
  • We have taken Alex VanderLinden’s suggestion of someone putting together a relay team to take down Lionel and Cody and turned it into a fun challenge. We will be posting the rules on our website, but any team that can beat those two will be given back their entry fee.
  • Registration is near the 500 mark with a 1,000 cap in the first year. The reasons for the cap have been posted in the other thread.
  • There is $5,000 in prize money that will be awarded to the Top 5 males and females, whether pro or age group athlete
  • YES, there will be a beer garden at the expo on both Saturday and during the race on Sunday. It will be located in Kingsbridge Park beside T2 and the finish chute.
  • Barrelman is a qualifier for the ITU Long Course Championships.

If you would like any questions answered please post them here and I will provide the answers.

John Salt, Founder - MultiSport Canada
Canada's Largest Triathlon Series and Barrelman Niagara Falls
http://www.multisportcanada.com / http://www.niagarafallstriathlon.com
"Discipline Is What You Do When No One Is Watching You"
Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Half Update Thread - Replacing term "Half-Iron" [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you say, "Beer"?

I'm in! :)

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Half Update Thread - Replacing term "Half-Iron" [John Salt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do not have it on the same weekend as the Ontario Universities Fair!! My wife works that every year and thus, I can't race it. :(
I wish I could do this race this year....it is going to be fantastic!
Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Half Update Thread - Replacing term "Half-Iron" [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do not have it on the same weekend as the Ontario Universities Fair!!

Mark,

The reality is that you'll never find the perfect weekend. There are so many events in southern Ontario going on every weekend from mid-May to the end of September, that you'll never find a clean weekend for a new event.( Sometimes the date/weekend is NOT even the events call - the municipality will tell you when YOUR weekend is! - It's complicated.)

And I'm not just talking triathlons here. The good news is that it's never been better - the selection of endurance sports events that we have going on in Southern ON, be it a triathlon, bike race/ride, running race, etc . . . What events have to do to be successful is pick their date/weekend, and market/promote well, and then execute the heck out of it so that people will come back and word will spread!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everything looks great, I'm looking forward to it. The run course looks great!
Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Half Update Thread - Replacing term "Half-Iron" [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Do not have it on the same weekend as the Ontario Universities Fair!!

Mark,

The reality is that you'll never find the perfect weekend. There are so many events in southern Ontario going on every weekend from mid-May to the end of September, that you'll never find a clean weekend for a new event.( Sometimes the date/weekend is NOT even the events call - the municipality will tell you when YOUR weekend is! - It's complicated.)

And I'm not just talking triathlons here. The good news is that it's never been better - the selection of endurance sports events that we have going on in Southern ON, be it a triathlon, bike race/ride, running race, etc . . . What events have to do to be successful is pick their date/weekend, and market/promote well, and then execute the heck out of it so that people will come back and word will spread!

Steve,

It is all about me. That is all.
;)
Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Half Update Thread - Replacing term "Half-Iron" [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is all about me. That is all.

You are a triathlete - I knew that! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just went through the video. That run course really looks fabulous. What is interesting is that I had some relatives from across the world who came to Canada and they HAD to go see the falls, and you are putting on an event whose run course goes right through where all the tourists from around the world flock to. Should be a great event for all athletes. Nice job pulling this all together. Sounds like quite a logistics feat getting all the municipalities/permits in line for that race date.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Half Update Thread - Replacing term "Half-Iron" [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is interesting is that I had some relatives from across the world who came to Canada and they HAD to go see the falls,

In Ontario, well at least the GTA, I think people are rather blase about Niagara Falls. However, in Europe, I have heard that Niagara Falls, regularly rates in the top-5 of places people want to see in all of North America!

Think about that for a second - that's pretty significant!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John Salt wrote:
We have taken Alex VanderLinden’s suggestion of someone putting together a relay team to take down Lionel and Cody and turned it into a fun challenge. We will be posting the rules on our website, but any team that can beat those two will be given back their entry fee.

A relay team will only win over my dead body ;)

But seriously, I hope we get some strong relay entries. I'm going to put the word out to my single sport friends.

CodyBeals.com | Instagram | TikTok
ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Half Update Thread - Replacing term "Half-Iron" [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
John Salt wrote:
We have taken Alex VanderLinden’s suggestion of someone putting together a relay team to take down Lionel and Cody and turned it into a fun challenge. We will be posting the rules on our website, but any team that can beat those two will be given back their entry fee.

But seriously, I hope we get some strong relay entries. I'm going to put the word out to my single sport friends.

...calls up Potts, Sebi and Frodo ;)...challenge accepted!
Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Half Update Thread - Replacing term "Half-Iron" [Cody Beals] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cody Beals wrote:
John Salt wrote:

Find me a strong swimmer and fast runner and we'll take you down!

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend taking on John's races. He puts on great, safe, athlete centric events. The run looks awesome.

Wish I was living east to join in!!

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Half Update Thread - Replacing term "Half-Iron" [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find me a strong swimmer and fast runner and we'll take you down!

I know a very strong cyclist looking for a team! :)

Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Half Update Thread - Replacing term "Half-Iron" [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck I can take on the swim so now I just need a fast runner! I think I know one...

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For those who have not raced in this area I can say that the Welland Canal is one of my favourite swims. You can see where you are going, so no wandering about with constant sighting.
The water is calm and usually warm enough to make the wetsuit personally optional. For the nervous swimmer, the enclosed aspect of being in a canal makes it a lot less nerve wracking.
The bike looks pretty flat which means fast and the run has to be one of the best (complete with a built in spray).
It's on the right side of the river for everyone (we have the pretty side)

It deserves to be a sellout.
(and beer!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will the swim be barrel-legal?
Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Half Update Thread - Replacing term "Half-Iron" [Sawchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If we have a Barrel legal wave we would have to keep it separate from the other waves. We wouldn't want the swimmers in barrels with the rest of the athletes. It could be a safety issue.

Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Half Update Thread - Replacing term "Half-Iron" [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Find me a strong swimmer, a great cyclist, and a fast runner and I promise we'd beat everyone.

Me? I'll provide moral support or something.

--
Yes, I know it's grammatically incorrect. Blame AOL and their 90s-era character limits.
--
Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Half Update Thread - Replacing term "Half-Iron" [Sawchuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will the swim be barrel-legal?

The swim is NOT in the Niagara River! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As has been requested in an earlier thread I am continuing to post updates for Barrelman.
  • The latest news is that the next and price increase takes effect on August 2, 2014. U.S. athletes should also take into account the favourable exchange rate of almost 10%.
  • There is now a race day race kit pick-up option.
  • Hammer Nutrition is the Official Nutrition sponsor.
  • Lionel Sanders and Cody Beals, two of the top young guns in triathlon, will be joining us at Barrelman.
  • Can your relay take down Lionel and Cody? Any team that can beat those two will be given back their entry fee.
  • Registration is at the 500 mark.
  • $5,000 in prize money will be awarded to the Top 5 males and females, whether pro or age group athlete
  • YES, there will be a beer garden at the expo on both Saturday and during the race on Sunday. It will be located in Kingsbridge Park beside T2 and the finish chute.
  • Barrelman is a qualifier for the ITU Long Course Championships.

Don't forget there are relays, swim/bike and bike/run race options as well.
All of the news can be found at http://niagarafallstriathlon.com/news/

Last edited by: John Salt: Jul 27, 14 7:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Need a relay swimmer? Try Owen Von Richter.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Niagara Falls Barrelman Half Update Thread - Replacing term "Half-Iron" [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAlbertan wrote:
Need a relay swimmer? Try Owen Von Richter.

Wow, just checked his results. I guess he would beat me out of the water... by a few minutes...

Now the team just needs a sub-2:05 cyclist and a sub-1:10 runner (just in case Lionel pulls out all the stops).

ASICS | Ventum | Martin's | HED | VARLO | Shimano | 4iiii | Keystone Communications
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now the team just needs a sub-2:05 cyclist and a sub-1:10 runner (just in case Lionel pulls out all the stops)

I know a fast cyclist who might be interested in being part of a team! :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:
Now the team just needs a sub-2:05 cyclist and a sub-1:10 runner (just in case Lionel pulls out all the stops)

I know a fast cyclist who might be interested in being part of a team! :)

Hm... wonder who that could be... ;)

I haven't ridden with your wife this year, but by the sounds of it, she's as fast as ever. Those hill attacks!

Quote Reply

Prev Next