Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Next American to win Kona?
Quote | Reply
Too much talk of tennis players and nike commercials - let’s talk tri. So it’ll be 16 years since the US has had a winner on the men’s side (and 22 on the women’s side). Why such a long stretch and who will break the streak?

Chris Lieto came painfully close in 2009. A solid swimmer and great biker, he just couldn’t quite put the run together at Kona. Crowie out running him for the win in finishing chute at Boise 70.3 was taste of things to come later that year. He was in the lead for a large portion of the run but Crowie put together a 2:48 run split (compared to Lieto’s 3:02) en route to a 2 minute victory. Since DeBoom’s victory in 1996 only two others have podiumed – Hoffman (2nd in 2014) and O’Donnell (3rd in 2015)

Who are the top Americans?
Ben Hoffman. He surprised a lot of people with his solid 2nd place finish in 2014. He clocked a stellar 8:13 for 4th in 2016 which would’ve been fast enough to win most years. Has won IM’s at Lake Placid, St George, CDA, Wisconsin, and Africa. He’s solid at all three diciplines. However he has been plagued with injuries this year. His biggest limitation was his birth year. He’s now 35 and in the prime of his career. Unfortunately for him the front end is faster and deeper than ever before. I think he could beat Jan, Gomez, Kienle, Lange, or Sanders. But I don’t think he’d be able beat them all at the same race. And all but two of them are younger than him

Tim O’Donnell. I think he only has two IM victories (South America and Boulder), but he’s been pretty solid at Kona (6th in 16, 3rd in 15, 5th in 13, 8th in 12). But he’s on the wrong side of father time. He’s turning 38 this year which only Crowie has won at that age.

Andy Potts. Has been in the top 10 at Kona six times (7th in 08, 9th in 09, 7th in 12, 4th in 14, 4th in 15, 7th in 17). Like TO, it seems like he’s on the wrong side of father time at 41. But he did bust out a Kona PR of 8:14 last year. However most of us are left wondering how good he could have done if he dropped the Gatorskins and Kestrel and went with a ST approved setup back when he was fast enough to leave everyone else in his swim wake.

Matt Hanson. He was my dark horse to podium at Kona last year but his was one to forget. He’s got 4 IM victories (Chatanooga, Texas x3) and currently holds the record for the Ironman Brand (with an asterisk for the short bike). He’s only 33 so he has a few years left to peak. His run is a great wildcard, but in order for him to crack the podium (or win) he’d need to find a way to get to T2 at the same time as McNamee, Nillson, Lange group. He’s my pick for the top American this year.

Ben Kanute. Has yet to do an Ironman and I believe is focused on Tokyo and the mixed relay. But he has had solid showings in his five 70.3 distance races. Most notable of course is his 2nd and 4th place finishes the past two years at Worlds. He’s just 25 so he’s got a ton of time and all the top guys now will be on the downturn or retired by the time Ben hits 30 and starts getting into the prime IM years. Alistair would be 35…but I can’t see him having a long IM career given his injury history. Obviously some of the other ITU guys will likely take a shot at Kona at some point as well (J.Brownlee, Mola, Blemmenfelt, etc). But that being said, he’s my pick to break the American cold streak. Maybe in 2025????
So who do you got? Top American this year? Next American to win (or even podium) and when? I was going to do the same for the women, but this took a bit longer than I thought and I really should get back to work…

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Next American to win Kona? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Matt Hanson is my pick for top American. He's my dark-horse pick for a podium this year as well. I think he's one of those guys that's 'played it safe' in races in the past because of his confidence in his run. Kienle has talked about this in the past and T.O.'s '15 race was an excellent example for this guy (among others). Put it all out there and risk a complete meltdown to see what you can really do. Riding along with all of the best runners, possibly losing 10-15 minutes to the front group(s), just isn't a play that is going to benefit these guys anymore if they truly want to win.

I also don't see Lange sniffing a podium again in his career, so what do I know...

Plus if Sanders eats pizza the night before everyone else is just racing to be the 1st loser.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Best case 5 years down the road. None of the ones mentioned is even close
Quote Reply
Re: Next American to win Kona? [Euro83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Maybe Kanute if he switches after Olympics
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say Kanute if he continues his progress and if he’s willing to step up to the distance. He turns 26 in December so he has plenty of time.

As much as I would like to see TO or Ben win, I just don’t see it happening. Matt Hanson has the potential to do well in Kona if he focuses on his race and doesn’t get caught up in the race dynamics and assuming he can run 2:40 there (which hasn’t done yet). His swim and bike are his limiters which I think will prevent him from ever getting on the podium.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry America has no shot at even podium this year or foreseeable future.
Quote Reply
Re: Next American to win Kona? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EnderWiggan wrote:

This, no chance.

Look at 70.3 if you want to examine what went down. Without AB and JF you have a first and second place of Gomez and Kanute...which was the same result as 2017.

If Kanute is the best hope for a US champion in Kona...we better hope for a rash of retirements or injuries to the real top talent in the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt Hanson is my pick. He's been steadily improving in all disciplines in the last few years and his run is probably only matched by Lange right now. He's shown he can run fast in high heat and humidity which is all that matters in Kona. Maybe it's not going to happen for him this year but he's headed to a podium spot in the next few years.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Next American to win Kona? [Phunctional] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And what's worse for America is that as long as no American wins the interest in triathlon will decline, while in Europe, largely because of European winners, the interest in triathlon grows.
Quote Reply
Re: Next American to win Kona? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, unfortunately.

I was scanning through top Americans as well as current and none are showing immediate promise. Top athletes in all 3 sports. Any Americans in ITU who could potentially do it? Immediately, no.

Eric Lagerstrom, Jason West, Ben Kaunte. I think Jason West has some unreal potential. If Eric can stay healthy, he's shown he is a top notch athlete. I think Kaunte has the potential to be a contender. He is still really young. Mid 20s. Kaunte is a Lieto, with a better run.

All this said, In 5 years we have potential. But no earlier.

EnderWiggan wrote:

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Last edited by: Brandes: Sep 7, 18 10:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best chance would have been Gwen Jorgensen and she decided to become a marathoner. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ashley Horner

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kanute has a future as a dominant long course athlete. At 26 he's tearing it up. Laegerstrom has a shot, but his fitness recently is slowing him down. When healthy though, he's on the same track.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Next American to win Kona? [TriStart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Participation across the board might be in decline but youth participation is on the rise. That is the key to really increasing the US competitiveness. More colleges continue to add triathlon as a varsity sport. The truth is that very few Americans have the potential to win soon. However, I think that the longer term outlook for triathlon is on the rise with youth participation growing.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Next American to win Kona? [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The women’s side has been even more bleak. 1 podium finish in the past 11 years. Jackson has been solid lately and I think she’s got the best podium shot (male or female). Interested to see how True does. Top 10? That being said. Switzerland will be keeping the title until Ryf retires.

It wouldn’t surprise me to see Gwen at Kona. She won’t make the Olympic team for the marathon in 2020. Perhaps 2022? She’d be 36 at the time.

I say keep an eye on Erika Ackerland. 22yo at University of Montana (where Lindsay Corbin and Ben Hoffman went). She’s won a few national titles and has a good background in both running and swimming. Working on getting into the ITU circuit right now I think

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's Erika Ackerlund. I have no idea how she compares against world class, but I've been in a few small races in Montana with her (Bobcat and Grizzly) and she was fast. Last year she went 1:03:56 (sprint distance with 1,000 yrd swim) and came third overall, 2 sec after nr 2. She has great potential, but first ITU, one or two Olympics, then maybe move to long course, if all goes well and she keeps enjoying the sport.
Last edited by: TriStart: Sep 7, 18 12:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kanute will come close but not win. Instead he will get beat by someone who commits a petty and inconsequential rule infraction early in the race. Then his coach will come here and complain about it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see nobody in foreseeable future and certainly not Kanute. That is just my 2c. I am no expert. I follow ITU and Ironman and I am pretty sad that I see no potential on the male side.
The class of Frodeno, Sanders, Lange, Kienle, Gomez.....than others as they transition over to full distance, all in another zip code. When people run off the bike in 70.3 in 1:06 and change, thats another World apart from any American athlete.
I am more upbeat about women's side. Our ITU team is loaded with potential and when the girls shift gears to IM, should be fireworks in a few years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriStart wrote:
It's Erika Ackerlund. I have no idea how she compares against world class, but I've been in a few small races in Montana with her (Bobcat and Grizzly) and she was fast. Last year she went 1:03:56 (sprint distance with 1,000 yrd swim) and came third overall, 2 sec after nr 2. She has great potential, but first ITU, one or two Olympics, then maybe move to long course, if all goes well and she keeps enjoying the sport.

I imagine an IM is about the furthest thing from her mind. But I applaud you for the very random pick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Matt Hanson has had some real rippers in hot weather races. He’s my pick.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I picked Hanson for 5th this year. He's our best best for the next few years. It he leaves T2 with a sniff of the lead, I wouldn't count him out. The question is whether he can pull off the S/B needed for that. I'm intrigued by Kanute after Tokyo (based solely off his 70.3 success), as he'll still be young. It's a bit bleak though, for sure. More so on the women's side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I also did those races, went to MSU for my undergrad. I'm pretty excited to see how u23 worlds goes this year, and I could definitely see her doing well at 70.3, also wouldn't count out ironman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aren't Canadians (North) Americans? I heard there is a Canadian dweezle who has a shot at winning in 2018.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like Ben Hoffman for top U.S. racer. He hired a coach last year who helped him step up his run game. He hasn’t been able to showcase it yet due to injury and whatever happened in Kona last year. But he’s a year into the coaching and focus on running. I think 3rd time’s a charm. As long as he doesn’t get sucked into the Uber biker train
Quote Reply
Re: Next American to win Kona? [Jason AZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ben is 35, he's in the same window as Gomez and Jan...it will be tough.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next