Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Next% calculator
Quote | Reply
Is there a calculator or other simple way to calculate how much time the next percent would save someone? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Next% calculator [aries33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aries33 wrote:
Is there a calculator or other simple way to calculate how much time the next percent would save someone? Just curious.

Weigh your wallet to see how much lighter it is and then move the decimal.
Quote Reply
Re: Next% calculator [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the laugh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Runners world has a calculator for the 4%. It allows to change that number to whatever % the next is supposed to be. Google it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Found that runner's world article: https://www.runnersworld.com/...rfly-4-percent-work/

There is a link to the calculator at the bottom of the article, however it downloads an excell file that you can then edit. I just played around with a bit and its pretty interesting. Put my 13.1 run time from Santa Cruz 70.3 in (1:15:49) and set the % gain to 2.6% (which is what that one study showed the actually efficiency gain of the 4% is). My adjusted time was 1:14:24. That would have made a pretty big difference...

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Next% calculator [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a link to that study? I'd be interested in taking a look.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Next% calculator [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
Do you have a link to that study? I'd be interested in taking a look.
Not sure where I first read it but this article: https://www.outsideonline.com/...-shoes-actually-work, mentions the 2.6% number. It seems that number was taken from this study by Colorado, which I don't feel like taking the time to understand right now. That first article also references another more neutral study that actually sets the number at 4.2% though.

On a more personal note, and it may be hypocritical because I love the "arms race" of aero bikes and bike equipment, but I don't like that shoes can make you this much faster. And I say this as I try to find a pair I can buy right now. It's become a near necessity for many at the elite level in both running and triathlon and I don't want to get left behind.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I don't like that shoes can make you this much faster.

I feel the same way. I haven’t thought about it enough vs wet suits or bike equipment.

If I had to put my finger on it, I would say that one big decision makes a huge difference (next% or any other shoe) vs incremental decisions / choices / attention to detail related to bike equipment. Or maybe it is that the carbon plate or proprietary foam is tantamount to a motor.

The Nikes hurt my feet, so maybe I’m just bitter that they don’t make them with a bigger toe box and less drop [not pink].
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See to me I love this race to make the fastest shoe because it is a lot more accessible to everyone than bikes. If you are a serious runner/triathlete you could probably spend $250 on shoes and might have to cut back on other expenses for a little bit but buying a semi-entry level bike at $5k will put you out for a hell of a lot longer! And now that the shoes are pretty much carried all the time now it isn't like when they came out where I refreshed running warehouse website to get them when they put them on the site.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Next% calculator [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is something to them because records are doing down and a lot of PR's are being set with them. It may not be just energy return but that makes you faster...….in my case I can feel the "pop" but also I'm a lot less beat up at the end of the race so my pace stays faster at the end. Either way something is working with these shoes and I'm not a Nike fan boy. They are simply fast shoes.
Quote Reply