Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
News Article RE:IMLP — didn't look great, but now race is on!
Quote | Reply
I found this article on a google news search. It seems that LP had a town council election this week. There’s not a ton of details in the article, I get the sense that it isn’t the full council turning over, but all the candidates up for election seemed to agree that large events and especially the Ironman cannot/should not happen.

Hopefully there is some context I don’t have, just was surprised to see this negative of an attitude towards the race from people that appear to be the decision makers.

https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/...ates-discuss-issues/

All four were skeptical about having large-scale events in Lake Placid this summer. Asked if they would be willing to say no to large-scale events if the state of the pandemic doesn’t improve dramatically, both Monroe and Galvin said it would depend on state guidance and what the state requires at that time.
Kelly said the National Women’s Hockey League bubble in Lake Placid — which was canceled after players and staff tested positive for COVID-19 — showed that “if you can’t control the entire environment, you can’t control anything.”
“We can’t do it,” she said. “We can’t do large-scale events. It’s just an impossibility to keep everything under control.”
Asked how they would decide if the state and the county left it up to a local decision on events, Monroe said each event’s organizers would need to submit a plan for how they would contain the spread of the virus before he could make a decision, but he agreed with Kelly, and would likely say no to most events.
“It would be a case-by-case basis, with them providing a plan of how they would contain it and how they would treat it, before making a decision,”Monroe added. “But I would say for large-scale events like Ironman, it’s just not possible.”
Galvin and Hayes agreed.
“We really can’t stress out our limited medical resources here by bringing 1,000, 2,000, 3,000 people here and have an outbreak,” Galvin said. “We just don’t have the resources to deal with that.”

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Last edited by: ericlambi: May 20, 21 8:03
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely not sounding good for the event.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
I found this article on a google news search. It seems that LP had a town council election this week. There’s not a ton of details in the article, I get the sense that it isn’t the full council turning over, but all the candidates up for election seemed to agree that large events and especially the Ironman cannot/should not happen.

Hopefully there is some context I don’t have, just was surprised to see this negative of an attitude towards the race from people that appear to be the decision makers.

https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/...ates-discuss-issues/

All four were skeptical about having large-scale events in Lake Placid this summer. Asked if they would be willing to say no to large-scale events if the state of the pandemic doesn’t improve dramatically, both Monroe and Galvin said it would depend on state guidance and what the state requires at that time.
Kelly said the National Women’s Hockey League bubble in Lake Placid — which was canceled after players and staff tested positive for COVID-19 — showed that “if you can’t control the entire environment, you can’t control anything.”
“We can’t do it,” she said. “We can’t do large-scale events. It’s just an impossibility to keep everything under control.”
Asked how they would decide if the state and the county left it up to a local decision on events, Monroe said each event’s organizers would need to submit a plan for how they would contain the spread of the virus before he could make a decision, but he agreed with Kelly, and would likely say no to most events.
“It would be a case-by-case basis, with them providing a plan of how they would contain it and how they would treat it, before making a decision,”Monroe added. “But I would say for large-scale events like Ironman, it’s just not possible.”
Galvin and Hayes agreed.
“We really can’t stress out our limited medical resources here by bringing 1,000, 2,000, 3,000 people here and have an outbreak,” Galvin said. “We just don’t have the resources to deal with that.”

Bigger issue the governor. He has already canceled 2 races I was planning. Hopefully he gets booted quickly so he can't screw up much else (or more importantly - kill more old people)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a follow-up meeting. Things are all a go for now.

https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

Damn flu, don't they know this is going to ruin people's lives
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [D.O.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
D.O. wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

Damn flu, don't they know this is going to ruin people's lives

😁

Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [Ironfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironfan wrote:

I think my sister is registered for Placid so that’s better news.

Last edited by: The GMAN: Mar 19, 21 5:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironfan wrote:

I saw this article too, but I don't think there's much information in there other than Ironman (and other events) are planning to go ahead with the intent of being flexible to guidelines set by authorities. Seems much less definitive than a councilman saying holding the Ironman is "impossible".

That being said, Tempe town council said IMAZ was a go all the way . . . until it wasn't. So these people change their minds. Perhaps LP officials will change it in a positive way if vaccine rollout goes well.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tupper Lake Tinman, 4 weeks earlier and 10% the overall size is already cancelled. The could not get permits for the park to host the race. Tupper Lake is 30 Miles from Lake Placid.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RobAllen wrote:
Tupper Lake Tinman, 4 weeks earlier and 10% the overall size is already cancelled. The could not get permits for the park to host the race. Tupper Lake is 30 Miles from Lake Placid.

Yeah, just the state had already set inflexible rules regarding the permits at parks, no? I don't think IMLP needs a state permit, it doesn't go through a state park, so from that perspective possibly they are better placed? But the race obviously leaves Placid, so there will be additional municipalities that have to agree to the event besides just Placid, and they probably benefit from the race much less.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and outdoor sports venues with a capacity of 2,500 or more people would be allowed to open at 20% capacity, starting April 1.
---

I wonder if the WTC would be motivated to host IMLP if they're only allowed 400-500 athletes. My gut says that's below the threshold for their business model, but perhaps they've changed it for the Covid era.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like they had 1100-1200 finishers at IMFL. Not sure how many DNF's as their list has quite a few people listed who never even started.

We don't how many people the Oval can hold. I know it does hold at least 3500 bikes, but if there aren't going to be changing tents, and maybe no bag racks, as you keep everything at your bike, they could conceivably get that number north of 6,000, which would get them 1200 racers.

But I'm sure there's already 2-3000 people registered, so how do you determine who gets the spots? Open deferrals and hope enough people take them? Offer actual refunds like Mont Tremblant did? Not sure there is a good answer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironfan wrote:
It looks like they had 1100-1200 finishers at IMFL. Not sure how many DNF's as their list has quite a few people listed who never even started.

We don't how many people the Oval can hold. I know it does hold at least 3500 bikes, but if there aren't going to be changing tents, and maybe no bag racks, as you keep everything at your bike, they could conceivably get that number north of 6,000, which would get them 1200 racers.

But I'm sure there's already 2-3000 people registered, so how do you determine who gets the spots? Open deferrals and hope enough people take them? Offer actual refunds like Mont Tremblant did? Not sure there is a good answer.

I think I read elsewhere that the oval is under construction and won't be used this year regardless. It's unclear to me how you would define the capacity of an ironman course, seems like you could just pull whatever number you want based on how you want to calculate it.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Ironfan wrote:

I think I read elsewhere that the oval is under construction and won't be used this year regardless. It's unclear to me how you would define the capacity of an ironman course, seems like you could just pull whatever number you want based on how you want to calculate it.

The practical question for the RD is how many bike racks fit with how many bikes allowing for social distance spacing. A bike rack that would normally be 8 bikes is now 3 or 4.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where else could a transition zone be without the Oval? There isn't any other place in town that could handle it.

Maybe the main parking lot and/or inside the skating arena? The Horse Show grounds would be perfect, but a 2 mile transition run kind of sucks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about Mirror Lake drive?..all on one side. The lake side? Just a thought. Shorter walk.

At Challenge Miami last weekend it was 4 bikes to a rack.

14X Ironman. Still slow but working on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
RobAllen wrote:
Yeah, just the state had already set inflexible rules regarding the permits at parks, no? I don't think IMLP needs a state permit, it doesn't go through a state park, so from that perspective possibly they are better placed? But the race obviously leaves Placid, so there will be additional municipalities that have to agree to the event besides just Placid, and they probably benefit from the race much less.

Bolded is correct - from another race:

the State has already made the decision to deny any permits for events within their parks in 2021 due to the corona virus.

Email from the race was on January 23'rd.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, Tupper Lake is a relatively tiny local event. In any case, getting used to spending another summer just enjoying personal training challenges for the time in the future where we can all socialize around structured racing.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This would be such a bummer. We all should be vaccinated by then. I have to imagine this would be brutal to local businesses—not just the loss of IM but all the other weekend events.

Unless people want to take IM Indiana slots, it would be another deferral to 2022–nothing else is open.

I wonder if WTC ever could schedule a US race on short notice. Give people from LP, TX, etc a chance to race this year, and allow them to target 2022 races for fresh revenue
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Ironfan wrote:

I think my sister is registered for Placid so that’s better news.

Those are organizers of events saying that they plan to conduct them (what else are they going to say?) permits to actually do it is a whole other story. Probably not happening.
Last edited by: rodchaves31: Mar 19, 21 20:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is no news or real information in this article, but it is an editorial from the local newspaper prompting the newly elected town council members to follow through on their promise to cancel the ironman this year.

https://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/...ents-are-a-big-risk/

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is not accurate that NY State Parks are not issuing permits for events this year.

I hosted an event in a state park in 2020 and have approvals for 2021 as well.

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my little rubric for race likelihood discussion. NY scores low on all three.
  1. Political Bias - The state and local political attitude toward social and venue restrictions
  2. Event History - Has the state hosted similar events since Pandemic
  3. Covid Metrics - Trends in cases, hospitalizations, deaths, & vaccinations

NY has demonstrated a strong bias toward cancelations and restrictions of all gathering-type events. NY has not hosted any races or events (I have read about) like an IM 70.3. NY is OK in deaths, and vaccinations (top third of US), but cases are up and have never really settled down since last summer.

The best case decision now is probably a no-decision. A "no," is kind of permanent, even if things vastly improve in the next few months.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
It is not accurate that NY State Parks are not issuing permits for events this year.

That's awesome news.

I'd be curious what the real story is at the other 2 races that were already canceled this year as they are hosting other events.
Quote Reply
Re: News Article RE:IMLP — doesn’t look great [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:

That's cool, seems like you may be the exception rather than the rule though. Only tangentially related, but I'm registered for SOS as well as IMLP this year. SOS sent out an e-mail last week saying the permits they would need are not being issued at all right now, but they were hopeful that would change in time for the event. The real tell though was they accidentally titled the e-mail "SOS 2022", which I'm guessing was some kind of Freudian slip that they really expect it to be canceled.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply

Prev Next