Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newbie trying to decide on a tri bike
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

First time poster, long time lurker! I am a (slow) runner who recently decided to get into triathlons. A friend and I have made a stretch goal of doing an Ironman in 2024. We're both in the market for solid, entry level tri bikes that can carry us up to and through that goal. After scouring all of the information I could find on the web and comparing prices at many locations, I've narrowed my options down to four and would love some advice. I haven't done my fitting yet, but will do so soon and that of course will figure into the decision making as well. Assume that these are the base models unless otherwise noted. Prices are all-in including tax and fitting where applicable. Thanks in advance!

1. Quintana Roo PRThree, $2200, not from a QR authorized dealer (so I think the warranty doesn't apply, though the LBS in question claims it does)
2. Quintana Roo PRFour Disc, $2800
3. Cervelo P2 105, $2380
4. Quintana Roo PRFive Ultegra Rim, $2900
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie trying to decide on a tri bike [rkirk7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Former QR owner (current Felt and Cervelo owner). I could never get my QR to fit me.

Bought the QR because the shop insisted it fit me and it looked cool. It was agony riding that bike.

Got properly fitted and was told Felt B14 or Cervelo P2 would be my best bets. My Felt B14 fit like a glove. Def check if the B14 is an option that would fit you. Great bike for the $$.

I recently upgraded to a Cervelo PSeries and while it fits a bit differently than my Felt, it’s still amazing.

So, go with the bike that fits *you*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a proper fit and then get a list of frames that work for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie trying to decide on a tri bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

This Is The Way
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie trying to decide on a tri bike [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gguerini wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

This Is The Way
I have spoken

Another thing. Consider racing on a road bike for a season or two. Too many people get into this sport and their no 1 question is: what do I purchase? That's a wrong question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say none of the above. Consider a road bike instead of a TT bike until you determine that triathlon is for you. Fit is easier to get right and generally handling is better and more comfortable when you are just starting out.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie trying to decide on a tri bike [bet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, everyone!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you going to do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In addition to the suggestions above to consider a road bike, I would also consider seeing what you can find on the used market.

It's hard to recoup much of what you spend on a base level bike, and if you get really into it, you might find yourself shopping for an upgrade soon. On the flip side, there are loads of used tri/tt bikes out there just as fast or faster than an entry level bike for less than half that. If you ride one for a year or two and want to upgrade it, you can probably sell it for much closer to what you paid than you would be able to for an entry level bike you bought new.

I might be biased, I've ridden a 2006 P3C for years now intending to upgrade, but can't be convinced something new would really be any better.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie trying to decide on a tri bike [dani-x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dani-x wrote:
Former QR owner (current Felt and Cervelo owner). I could never get my QR to fit me.

Bought the QR because the shop insisted it fit me and it looked cool. It was agony riding that bike.

Got properly fitted and was told Felt B14 or Cervelo P2 would be my best bets. My Felt B14 fit like a glove. Def check if the B14 is an option that would fit you. Great bike for the $$.

I recently upgraded to a Cervelo PSeries and while it fits a bit differently than my Felt, it’s still amazing.

Which QR model did you own?
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie trying to decide on a tri bike [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
dani-x wrote:

2013 Lucero Lite
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie trying to decide on a tri bike [dani-x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dani-x wrote:
jollyroger88 wrote:
dani-x wrote:

2013 Lucero Lite

Very strange: the Lucero Lite has the QR "fit frame", that fits most people, unless you need a long&low geometry; but the Felt B14 is nowhere long&low either...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As long as you get the right size, you can "fit" on almost any standard bike, i.e. non-superbikes. The issue is that it might handle like crap.

If someone is having comfort issues (and bought the correct frame size) then that's not really an issue with the frame. It's an issue with the fit.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
dani-x wrote:
jollyroger88 wrote:
dani-x wrote:

2013 Lucero Lite

Very strange: the Lucero Lite has the QR "fit frame", that fits most people, unless you need a long&low geometry; but the Felt B14 is nowhere long&low either...

i think the poster is right. in my opinion, the lucero was a great value, when it first came out and for a few years after, but there were some fit issues. the CD01 had other fit issues. what solved all of QR's fit issues was the introduction of the PR series. so, i sympathize with the problems with the lucero, but i would not assume that these problems follow the brand. there is virtually no difference in the capacity to get properly positions on the QR PR 3, 4, 5, or 6, and the Felt IAx, and the cervelos.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie trying to decide on a tri bike [gguerini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gguerini wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:

This Is The Way

Mando?
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie trying to decide on a tri bike [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
As long as you get the right size, you can "fit" on almost any standard bike, i.e. non-superbikes. The issue is that it might handle like crap.

If someone is having comfort issues (and bought the correct frame size) then that's not really an issue with the frame. It's an issue with the fit.

I agree completely... except I doubt it would handle like crap, unless it was just a crap bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie trying to decide on a tri bike [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I agree completely... except I doubt it would handle like crap, unless it was just a crap bike.

Weight distribution matters.

I can get in the exact same position on a conventional road bike or a 51cm cervelo p2k or a 54cm p2k. The road bike and the 51cm frame handle like garbage. I can ride them fast, but fast descents and technical courses show the limitations. The difference is that the roadie and the 51 have too much weight over the front wheel. The 54cm handles like a dream (for me).

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Newbie trying to decide on a tri bike [DV8R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What does "mando" mean?
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie trying to decide on a tri bike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Mandalorian.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Not IME... or rather the differences in weight distribution are tiny. Could be something else about the setup?

Note that road pros seem to favor small frames, and they often race very technical courses. If handling was really an issue I think they'd opt for a bigger frame.

New world champ as one example:

Quote Reply
Re: Newbie trying to decide on a tri bike [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Not IME... or rather the differences in weight distribution are tiny. Could be something else about the setup?

Note that road pros seem to favor small frames, and they often race very technical courses. If handling was really an issue I think they'd opt for a bigger frame.

New world champ as one example:

It doesn’t appear that he has his front wheel overloaded. UCI constraints on saddle position mean that the weight is farther back. These days I need my saddle pretty far forward in order to get low enough in the torso. That puts more weight on the front wheel. It’s fine riding a straight line, and “can” be ridden fast on technical courses, but it’s pretty sketchy.

The bigger frame just feels better in a forward position. If I were still riding a UCI legal position, then the smaller frame with risers would work better so I can have the pursuit bars in a better spot.

I know this because I’ve done it.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The nose of the saddle would be -5cm, but he is sitting very far forward on it. And his head is centered over the front axle. Pretty sure he has more weight on the front wheel.

A step up in frame size would move the front wheel out 1-2cm? It just isn't that much. Say he's 50/50 now and the wheelbase is 100cm. Moving the front wheel out 2cm changes the distribution to 51/49. Do you really think that's a significant change?

I don't deny your experience, but I think there is something other than weight distribution going on.

My road bike and TT bike are on the small side, and both have 140mm stems. Both are generic Chinese frames. Never experienced a handling issue or speed wobble, and I go >50 mph nearly every day on crappy roads with gusting winds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also recommend starting on a road bike, especially if it's your first fast/road/race bike (if you already have a road bike, then this doesn't matter). There is a lot to learn about riding, and a road bike is so much more versatile. You'll be able to ride with others safer, become a better bike handler, etc. Then get some clip-on handlebars, and maybe a "fast-forward seatpost" to switch it into TT mode (swapping the stem or saddle can also help). The bike will be almost as fast too. If you decide that triathlons are not your thing, you'll still have a great bike, or it will likely have higher resale value. You can generally fit wider tires on new road bikes. In your price range, there are still a lot of bikes available and you can get something really nice. If, by 2024, you are hooked and want a TT bike, you'll have time to save and get one for a longer race in which a true TT bike will make a bigger difference. I did my first few olympic tris and half-IMs on a road bike with clip ons and was able to go under 5:00 hours using clip-ons (without any shifters on them), and it was nice to have different hand positions on the hilly courses I did.
Quote Reply