Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newbie Help...Please
Quote | Reply
Hey all, I'm new to the tri world and am planning on purchasing a tri specific bike shortly. My background is in swimming and running so I figured I would add the biking and give tri's a shot.

Now for the questions. I'm 5' 10'' tall and am going to get fitted this weekend for the first time. One of my main questions has to do with 650c vs 700c wheels. Whats the difference? Does it make a difference based on the type of bike or persons size? Just curious. In the end, I know the most important thing this to get a bike that fits me and not to fit me to the bike, but I need some help. Thanks to everyone as I have been a lurker for awhile.

Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Help...Please [runnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
650c or 700c- the $64 question.

Basically, it is a question of weight distribution and torso length with some influence from femur length and even foot size.

I have been "married" to 650c wheels at 5'9" and about an 80 cm. inseam and 160 pounds dressed to race. My torso length mandated 650c's and I could tell I was faster on them, especially on a technical, hilly course where the difference really became evident.

I did a number of expereiments with 700c tri bikes from QR and Cannondale and never acheived the performance on the road, in the real world, that I could get on a 650c chassis. On the Computrainer I could reproduce identical performance numbers but out in the real world the 700c bike was like trying to drive a semi-truck in a Formula 1 race. It was big, sluggish and dumpy feeling.

Prior to IMNZ a combination of factors including inadequate Shimano gearing for 10 speed drivetrains (no 54 or 55 tooth rings)and concern over the pavement condition made me re-open the 700c files.

I built several bikes and looked at their geometry and my weight bias. I took so many measurements I'm cross-eyed. I found a Guru Aero-Ti in there stock size that fit perfectly and I got excellent weight bias on. I t has been an impressive bike for about 600 miles including IMNZ where it worked perfectly.

The moral: Go with the wheel size your fitter recommends. You seem just a touch "north" of the 700c/650c borderline so your fitter may trend you toward 700c wheels. Be sure your fitter gets out the bathroom scales to measure your weight bias seated on the finished bike IN THE RIDING (i.e. aero) POSITION before you ever put rubber on pavement. This is a FAR more valuable and scientific tool for evaluating if the bike is appropriate for you than a test ride where you are looking for a "feeling" or some other subjective "data".

The wheel that is fastest for you will be the wheel that fits you best. The biggest common sizing mistake we see is people who are too small on 700c's and people who are too big on 650c's. It is pretty common too.

Best of luck.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Help...Please [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i'm continually amazed at the excellent responses and great information TOM gives. thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom-
You say you see a lot of problems with people on the wrong size wheels. I can think of all manner of problems putting a small person on big wheels could cause but I am at a loss as to what harm there would be in putting a big person on small wheels. I am 6'4" and I ride 650s so I must be the poster child for whatever big-guy-on-small-wheels problems there are.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Help...Please [Rich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Picture riding a unicycle in the prone position with your chest on the seat.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Huh? Are you saying there would be a weight bias problem or that steering would be twitchy or something else altogether?

Regardless, I'm not sure how wheel size affects handling. The contact patch, top tube length, stem length etc. are what they are regardless of wheel size. Obviously, 650 wheels would allow a bad designer to make the chainstays too short, use a fork with too little rake or mess up the head tube angle or front/center but I'm on an Empfield-designed QR. I feel pretty good that Dan didn't make those mistakes.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, thanks for the help here. I am definately going to take all of this into consideration when I get fitted. 2 more questions/comments though.

1. I have a friend who attended the USAT Triathlon Coaching Clinic in Clermont last month and he said the rumor mill was churning that 650's were on the way out. Curious to see if you have heard anything.

2. Can you recommend any fitters in the local New York City area? Since I am so new to this I want to get it right from the get go.

Thanks again.

Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonathan Cane is the man in the city.

Jonathan Cane
www.citycoach.org
jonathan@citycoach.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ABsolutely go to see Paul Levine.

He is the best fitter in the area bar none... you can find Dan's comments on him as bein the premire bike fitter on the east coast...

http://www.slowtwitch.com/dealersurvey/dealerprofiles4.html#signature

Honestly I can't say enough good things about my experience with him, I noticed a definate and measurable improvement in my biking after being fit by him.

The only drawbacks I can think of are that he does not sell bikes other than custom serottas if you are looking for a retailer adn fitter in one package, Also he is extrememly busy so you might have trouble with getting a time. He is not cheap but he is worth every penny, several times over. A fit with him would definately help you to figure out an appropriate bike purchase, and if you do go the custom route he is the man to see.

Either way his place is near woodberry commons outlets. He also does clinics in the city all the time.

His website is www.signaturecycling.com

If you call him tell him that taku says hi.
i am not paid by him just a satisfied customer.

If you have any specific questions about myexperience please feel free to email me at

taku@ureach.com
Quote Reply