Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newbie - equipment and bike trainer questions!
Quote | Reply
So I am training for my first triathlon - Sprint and have not done any physical activity since forever!

I am 34, 181 height and weight 78kg - trying to get into a routine and build stamina etc.

I have a pool at my condo and I am swimming there. There is a small gym with equipment and I am using the bikes there and have also gone out to a bicycle track and rented a bike there.

I am thinking of getting a bike trainer for home to train at home and also the garmin fenix 5 Plus.

Which one would you say is a priority?

I want the bike trainer and bike so I can ride at home and Zwift appeals to me. I live in Bangkok with crazy (and deadly) traffic so wont be going out on the road, however I can get out of the city by taxi to a track and rent a bike there. It's a hassle really and cost wise and time wise I can only do some weekends.

So Fenix 5 Plus or a bike trainer and bike combo? Can't afford both at the same time!

Does the fenix help with my cycling? Will it tell me how much power I am putting in? Watts wise? How will I know if I am going at a good pace? Does anyone know of any cheap power meters for bike?

If I go for the Bike and trainer:

Which trainer and what bike?!

I have investigated and visited to bike shops - Magnus OPs and Wahoo Kickr Core are the two options. The Magnus is a wheel on and slightly cheaper that the kickr Core.

Also what bike. Obviously a beginner and looking to get into the sport, I am enjoying cycling and want to pick it up. I am looking at bikes from decathlon, would you recommend any there?

https://www.decathlon.co.th/en/?q=bike&idx=decathlon_thailand&p=0&dF...

Also would these be compatible with the trainers? The shop that was selling the wahoo kickr core said I would also need a cassette and they offered a 105 11speed cassette. I would need the bike to be compatible with that if I am getting the kickr.

I have also seen a bike promotion 2014 Marin Argenta SE A6 size 52.5 - Thats the only 'Cheap' bike they had at the bike shop.

So yeah, what setup should I go for to train indoor with Zwift.

I am now leaning towards the bike plus trainer instead of the garmin.

Thanks!

EDIT: I am also looking at swimming lessons, to improve my stroke. I def need this, however at the minute I am just going by myself. Its a 400 m swim I think I can go at it alone this first time and then maybe for the next one get a few lessons in.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie - equipment and bike trainer questions! [jmods1985] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HELP!

Some advice?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a craigslist in your city? You could maybe get a Cycleops non-smart trainer for around US $100 if there is. If you stick with indoor training you will want a power meter on the bike eventually: pedals, rear wheel, or crank/chainring based.

I've been recommending Garmin Forerunner 35 to friends and family. People love it and it's US $100. It's better than the Garmin I have which is a Forerunner 15 that works great.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie - equipment and bike trainer questions! [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanna go with a smart trainer. Those are the 2 options I have found available here.

What about bike compatibility?

Im gonna stick with my garmin 220 and if I really get into the sport then go for the fenix 5 plus.

Can I get some advice and help with the trainer/bike situation please?!

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jmods1985 wrote:
So I am training for my first triathlon - Sprint and have not done any physical activity since forever!

I am 34, 181 height and weight 78kg - trying to get into a routine and build stamina etc.

I have a pool at my condo and I am swimming there. There is a small gym with equipment and I am using the bikes there and have also gone out to a bicycle track and rented a bike there.

I am thinking of getting a bike trainer for home to train at home and also the garmin fenix 5 Plus.

Which one would you say is a priority?

I want the bike trainer and bike so I can ride at home and Zwift appeals to me. I live in Bangkok with crazy (and deadly) traffic so wont be going out on the road, however I can get out of the city by taxi to a track and rent a bike there. It's a hassle really and cost wise and time wise I can only do some weekends.

So Fenix 5 Plus or a bike trainer and bike combo? Can't afford both at the same time!

Does the fenix help with my cycling? Will it tell me how much power I am putting in? Watts wise? How will I know if I am going at a good pace? Does anyone know of any cheap power meters for bike?

If I go for the Bike and trainer:

Which trainer and what bike?!

I have investigated and visited to bike shops - Magnus OPs and Wahoo Kickr Core are the two options. The Magnus is a wheel on and slightly cheaper that the kickr Core.

Also what bike. Obviously a beginner and looking to get into the sport, I am enjoying cycling and want to pick it up. I am looking at bikes from decathlon, would you recommend any there?

https://www.decathlon.co.th/en/?q=bike&idx=decathlon_thailand&p=0&dF...

Also would these be compatible with the trainers? The shop that was selling the wahoo kickr core said I would also need a cassette and they offered a 105 11speed cassette. I would need the bike to be compatible with that if I am getting the kickr.

I have also seen a bike promotion 2014 Marin Argenta SE A6 size 52.5 - Thats the only 'Cheap' bike they had at the bike shop.

So yeah, what setup should I go for to train indoor with Zwift.

I am now leaning towards the bike plus trainer instead of the garmin.

Thanks!

EDIT: I am also looking at swimming lessons, to improve my stroke. I def need this, however at the minute I am just going by myself. Its a 400 m swim I think I can go at it alone this first time and then maybe for the next one get a few lessons in.

The fenix 5, although a nice watch, won't do much to help you get faster or stronger. It will report your watts but only if you have a powermeter transmitting the information. I would stick to something simple and keep it basic, at least to start. A trainer and a structured training program (e.g. TrainerRoad (TR), Zwift) will provide much more benefit. I'll be happy to give you a code for a 30 day TR trial. For your first race, go out and have some fun. I would defer the powermeter until you decide that you really want to continue in the sport. I've been doing multi-sports since 1993 and I only picked up a PM last year.

I have a Kickr and, yes, you need a cassette. It's logistically much, much easier to have a dedicated cassette on the Kickr. The 105 is fine. If you use TR, you'll find that you're only using one cog anyways (i.e. you don't shift).

You appear to be in Thailand. Does it have the equivalent of Craigslist? As a newcomer, I would suggest starting with a good used bike THAT FITS. Does your bike shop sell used bikes?
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie - equipment and bike trainer questions! [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very helpful information thanks.

I already have the swimming gear that I need. Also already have a good pair of running shoes as I used to run years back.

I have no bike. No trainer.

I am going to look into second hand bikes, however I think that might be difficult here.

What about one of these road bikes from Decathlon:

https://www.decathlon.co.th/en/13168-road-bikes

Cheapest one is around 250 usd.

Trainer, I would prefer to go for a smart trainer as I do enjoy training on the bike and would not want to then have to upgrade. However I am also open to options.
I have looked at the following:
Kickr Core
Magnus OPS

Cheap dumb trainers available here:
Minoura B60
IN'RIDE 500 HOME TRAINER

So I need to pick one of those trainers and then a bike that is COMPATIBLE!

You never shift gears on Swift? Will any of the bikes from decathlon be compatible?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You definitely need to own a bike before you need to worry about having an expensive watch!

Decathlon is a good place for decent value bikes. Personally I would stretch your budget if you can to get the Ultra 700 model which is about $850. That's about the cheapest point at which you get decent components (Shimano 105) which makes for a much nicer riding experience (crisp gear shifting, good braking, etc) and you won't need to spend money upgrading or replacing worn out components. That frame also looks to have more of a racing geometry than the cheaper bikes I.e. a lower front end which will help you get more aero.

Any of those decathlon bikes will be compatible with basically any trainer. Pretty much don't need to worry about compatibility unless you're buying a disc brake bike or superbike which may be hard to fit onto some trainers. Smart trainer is a good idea if you're going to be training indoors a lot. Power meter to give you power when riding outdoors is going to add quite a bit to your budget unless you can find something second hand. I would say don't bother for now, better to spend money on getting the best trainer and bike you can afford then add the PM later if you want to.

It is probably useful to have a basic watch to at least record workouts and track heart rate. Or just buy a Bluetooth heart rate strap (Wahoo one is good) and use the Strava app on your phone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are your shoes?
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie - equipment and bike trainer questions! [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My shoes are Brooks Ghost 10s. can't remember when I bought them but maybe last summer? Haven';t used them too much though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A smart trainer is not at all essential to enjoy using your bike on a trainer with Zwift and would not be my top priority. If you need to keep the cost down I'd probably skip that to start with and prioritise the bike.
  • Choose your bike first. If you're only using it on the trainer there's no advantage to light weight, good brakes, lots of gears, aerodynamics, etc. And if you are going with a direct drive trainer like the Kickr you don't even need a back wheel....... However, if you plan to race, you'll need to get outside from time to time and you'll need a bike to race on. I don't know Decathlon's range but in general they're a good place to get good value for money on most things and their bikes look okay. You should be pretty safe with Cartman's advice if you can stretch to that. If you're getting a direct drive trainer you need to know what cassette it will have on it. Most important is the number of sprockets (speeds).

Then you want a way to use Zwift. There are 4 options. I've tried all 4 and spent a lot of time with two of them. The options are:
  1. Any old wheel-on trainer, a rear wheel speed sensor and Zwift
  2. Wheel-on trainer with known accurate power curves, a rear wheel speed sensor, and Zwift
  3. Any trainer, a power meter, and Zwift
  4. A smart trainer, and Zwift

Zwift has power curve data for a huge number of trainers. This means you can tell Zwift what trainer you are using and it can use the wheel speed from your sensor to tell you a power number. The same applies to many other software training software options like TrainerRoad. In my experience, the estimated figure can be very inaccurate and inconsistent for most trainers, but for a couple it works really well.

Option 1: is the cheapest route into Zwift or other power based indoor cycling, but I think you'll find it frustrating and restrictive because you won't be able to rely on the power figure which dictates everything.

Option 2: can be nearly as cheap as option 1 and would be my recommendation if you can find the right trainer second hand. The only trainer I really trust for this is a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine or Rock'n'Roll fluid trainer. Their fluid resistance unit is very temperature stable which is essential. I used mine with virtual power for 18 months. My data was always very consistent and seemed realistic. Perceived effort, heart rate, and displayed power always tallied (HR will vary a bit with fatigue, illness, heat, etc, but can still be used once you understand that). When I bought a power meter after 18 months, I compared the estimated power from Zwift with my measured power and was amazed to find it was within 1-2% at all times except during sprint accelerations and the very start of warm-up, and even then the error was relatively small (~10%). If you decide to go this route, pick a tyre, tyre pressure, and number of turns of clamping pressure and stick with it. If you change these each session the numbers may change too. I used 100psi in Felt TTR tyres (that came on my bike) and exactly 3 full turns of the clamping knob from first contact.

Option 3: gives you reliable (for most PMs!) and you're not relying on the trainer for power data. It's just providing resistance. Any trainer will do, although I'd recommend a fluid unit because they feel better IMO. As an added benefit, you will also have the PM when you take the bike out on the road.

Option 4: gives you power data from the smart trainer which replaces the need for a PM, although you obviously won't have power data on the road (not necessarily a big deal) and accuracy for some trainers is worse than many PMs (1-2% is good, 5%+ is not). The benefits of smart trainers over a PM and dumb trainer is terrain simulation and ERG mode. Terrain simulation is where the trainer will match the resistance to hills or descents on Zwift. You can do pretty much the same manually by changing gears on a fluid trainer if you like, though of course you'd have to watch the gradient to know when! I don't feel the need for this feature but I can see how it might be enjoyable and add to realism on Zwift. you can train equally well with or without it. ERG mode is where you tell the trainer what power level you want to hold and it forces you to do so by increasing resistance if you pedal slower and vice versa. I don't like ERG mode, and I see little advantage to it. A lot of people use this to control their effort while they watch films meaning they don't have to watch their power figures. I've tried it and don't like it. I far prefer to control my own power. It's more realistic and feels better to me.

It seems like you already have a GPS watch? If so, I'd stick with that for now and upgrade when/if you can afford it or feel it's needed. Just get a speed/cadence sensor that you can pair with it and an ANT+ dongle for your computer so you can send data from your sensors to Zwift (not essential if you decide to get a PM or Smart trainer).

If I were you and budget is tight I'd go with a second hand Kurt Kinetic Road Machine, if you can get one, plus the speed/cadence sensors. If that frees up some money for a better bike, I'd get a better bike, rather than a power meter or smart trainer. Either of those can be added later if you decide you want them.

I've got two very capable bikes and a rake of other equipment. Yet I'm still using a dumb trainer. I do have a good power meter now, but it worked almost as well without that. I considered getting a Tacx Neo last year but decided not to bother for now, because I honestly don't think I'm missing a lot.

I hope this is helpful and not too long and confusing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple comments, I would opt for a wheel off trainer if you can, they cost a bit more but are much nicer to ride. The lower priced Wahoo is supposed to be a good option. An inexpensive way to do Zwift without a lot of clutter is to use an apple TV hooked to some sort of monitor. If you use a computer it needs to have very strong graphics capabilities.

With the trainer and Zwift (of whatever) you can ride indoors and see your power and vary the resistance. You need a good fan and avoid sweating all over your bike as it will make it rust.

I would not worry about a fancy watch for training outside, a plain digital watch to record time is fine. Zwift will just save your data to whatever online training log you might want to use like strava.

Indoor cycling can get boring, the Zwift can be helpful if you like it. I use it for structured workouts and races, I get bored just riding around. I like to do a good solid hour workout and then do longer stuff outside on the road or in the woods on the cross bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie - equipment and bike trainer questions! [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I am as confused as ever.
What should I do! I want to get on zwift and get into cycling.

The direct drive trainers are just too expensive, especially because I also need to buy a bicycle!
I suppose I could stretch for a gravat 2 maybe even a kickr core. However I would then need to buy a bicycle and just seems too much to try!

How about from the other smart trainers, wheel on trainers: Which one do you recommend?
The elite qubo
The kickr snap
Others?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snap is fine. Skip the fancy watch.

The entry fees for these races are very high, make sure you can afford the sport in general, I personally can't
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie - equipment and bike trainer questions! [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, So the Snap over the Elite Qubo?

I can afford the entry fees, they are only sprint triathlons so lots of beginners.

Cheapest trainer I have found is the Elite Qubo, should I stretch for the Kickr Snap?

Cheers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the Elite Qubo, I went through 2 of them in 4 months. The shop I worked with was great and after the second one failed they let me swap it out for a Cycleops Magnus, I just had to pay the difference but the Magnus was actually on sale at the time. So, not a huge difference ~$100. Thus, I would not recommend the Qubo, Elite does have some great trainers but the Qubo is not one of them. I would recommend just getting a quality dumb trainer plus speed/cadence over getting a Qubo. Otherwise checkout DCRainmaker.com for more information.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/23685202
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie - equipment and bike trainer questions! [TriRugby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so the Kickr snap better.

I can also get the magnus OPS however it is more expensive...
Quote Reply