Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New wheels or New tires (Gravel)
Quote | Reply
I bought a used gravel bike for commuting and getting off road on the weekends. It came with 650b wheels (they aren't tubeless ready and I haven't converted them) and 47mm semi-slick tires. I have already bought off-road tires that work great for the muddy trails I ride but I can't figure out the best set up for commuting. I want something that is lighter and rolls a bit better but I am worried about the impact of just downsizing the tire will have on handling.

I could buy 700c wheels and run 30-32 tires but the new and used market for low end to half-decent disc wheels is currently really inflated in the UK. As all my racing bikes are rim I am struggling to justify the cost. Alternatively a few companies including Conti have started making small city focused 650b tires so I could keep the wheels and just swap tires. The idea of regularly swapping tires doesn't bother but I am worried about how the reduction in tire size will impact handling.

Has anyone gone from a 50mm to a 30mm tire? Does it massively effect handling? I have previously used cross bikes as winter road bikes and always felt the handling got really squirrelly when using 25mm tires.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels or New tires (Gravel) [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve done a season of cross on 33mm uci sized tires. Dry and mud versions.

The dry version is plenty for mixed tarmac gravel use but lacks for really ripping up gravel corners fast.

I’d just swap tires back and forth if I were you with the best tire for each task. They fit loose enough in those sizes it is a quick swap.

Planetx have anything cheap wheel wise? They’re UK based and cheap as dirt.
Quote Reply