Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New wheels from Zipp?
Quote | Reply
Team Movistar is sponsored by Zipp, but these wheels are unlike anything I've seen from Zipp. Are they rolling out new graphics or are these new wheels?

Last edited by: cxrider: Feb 14, 20 6:32
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels from Zipp? [cxrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those decals are very similar to the ones on the Zipp 3ZERO Moto's so its not surprising to see them being rolled out on other wheels.

In terms of being totally new wheels its worth remembering Zipp has been making tubular disc brake wheels for the pros for a few years now that aren't available to the public. I can't tell from the photo but given they are warming up for a race those are likely tubs meaning they aren't something you can buy. If I remember correctly Zipp has stated they have no plans to re-introduce tubs on the mass market as they believe tubeless is the way forward. I don't know how they get around the UCI rule on having to have all products available to the public but certainly a few tubular 858 NSW have been used in pro tour TTs. So the wheels may be 'new' but they may also never come to market.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told by someone at Zipp recently that they are planning to introduce a tubeless-compatible version of the Super9 disc wheel soon. Perhaps that will be accompanied by changes to other wheels?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cxrider wrote:
Team Movistar is sponsored by Zipp, but these wheels are unlike anything I've seen from Zipp. Are they rolling out new graphics or are these new wheels?

With their new graphics application I’m sure it is easy to draft up custom graphics for the wheels. They have been playing around with a bit of this on the Super 9.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels from Zipp? [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
Those decals are very similar to the ones on the Zipp 3ZERO Moto's so its not surprising to see them being rolled out on other wheels.

In terms of being totally new wheels its worth remembering Zipp has been making tubular disc brake wheels for the pros for a few years now that aren't available to the public. I can't tell from the photo but given they are warming up for a race those are likely tubs meaning they aren't something you can buy. If I remember correctly Zipp has stated they have no plans to re-introduce tubs on the mass market as they believe tubeless is the way forward. I don't know how they get around the UCI rule on having to have all products available to the public but certainly a few tubular 858 NSW have been used in pro tour TTs. So the wheels may be 'new' but they may also never come to market.

Zipp has a number of tubular disc brake wheels available to the public. They don’t have them for every series so maybe the pros get NSW versions or something unique.
Quote Reply