Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New wheels: HED or Flo?
Quote | Reply
I’m helping a buddy upgrade the OEM wheels on his new disc brake tri bike. He doesn’t want to spend Enve or Zipp level money, so I was going to suggest Flo’s newer 64AS wheels (64mm rim depth) and the HED Jet RC 6/9 Plus wheels (60mm front / 90 mm rear).

The Flos are $1,288 and the HEDs are $1,225 (mybikeshop.com), so the price is about the same. Any reason to pick one set over the other? The Flos are 100 grams lighter, whatever that’s worth. I think either set will be fine. Again, he has a disc brake bike, so the issues with carbon rim brake tracks is not an issue.

Or if there are any other wheels to consider at around the same price point or less, please share.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels: HED or Flo? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those are two of the best. Hard to pick at those prices. I would recommend a deeper rear if the friend goes FLO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both are great wheels and for the same price I'd pick the one that looks cooler and has the best warranty.

With that said I have several HED wheels that I've purchased new and used over the years. The last new wheels I purchased were the Flo's and I'm very happy with them.
Last edited by: jaretj: Aug 28, 20 18:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been watching some new Vanquishs on EBay for around 1250. Hard to go wrong with the HEDs and they would be my choice, but you cant go wrong with either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big fan of FLO. Also, FYI - they have a discount for $100 off each wheel right now, or they typically provide 20% off using a discount code from the podcast (I think code is FASTER)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve never bought HED but have almost every generation flo wheel and they have all been amazing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is like asking Shimano or Sram. Both Flo and HED are very solid and can’t go wrong at the price point.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Aug 30, 20 6:03
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels: HED or Flo? [lhmd21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the sanity check. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t giving bad advice. My buddy decided to get the Flos with a 64 front and 77 rear. And thanks also for the Podcast coupon reminder. I found that the current 20% discount code is PODCAST, in case anyone else is shopping for wheels.

Now I have to teach him how to mount tires...he’s new to the sport and biking.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels: HED or Flo? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I have been watching some new Vanquishs on EBay for around 1250. Hard to go wrong with the HEDs and they would be my choice, but you cant go wrong with either.

I actually ended up snagging a pair of those Vanquish off ebay. Was about to pull trigger on the Flo as I've had a few of their sets and been satisfied.

I don't htink there's a wrong choice, but I just received the Vanquish and they are super nice. I don't regret it at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I sent you a private message.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with the Flo

(been dying to write that)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jets are made in the USA if that matters... Flo does make a fine wheel and I have owned those as well.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Last edited by: cmscat50: Aug 29, 20 16:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would also go with the HED but if these are for racing then go with the 6/Disc. If it is just for training then the 6/9 set are fine and as the other poster said, if he does go with the 64 FLO then they would be better off going deeper rear for stability purposes since on a tri bike. apples-to-apples the weight advantage probably isn't even there with the FLO, plus HED is built in Minneapolis (Shoreview) and I am sure they could use the extra support right now. In addition, Steve HED was the original OG. He knew his stuff.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just purchased a set of HEDs after going back and forth between the two sets. However, I have rim brakes on my new bike. When I was looking at the disc vs rim brake bikes, QR had a really good deal on the PR4 and HED Vanquish RC6 wheels (around 4k I believe) so I emailed HED about the wheels. They emailed me back saying the 60mm Vanquish are as fast as the 90mm Jets in the wind tunnel (I inquired about the RC version and they responded with this info). I also believe these are not a fairing like the Jets and Flos but someone might correct me. Mybikeshop currently has them on sale for 1600. https://mybikeshop.com/...rmance-wheelset.html

Just thought I would share this info on the wheelset since I found it very hard to find any info on the Vanquish wheels. I understand the wheelset is a little over your friend's budget. Maybe they'll come down in price over the winter or a better sale will come along.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels: HED or Flo? [lang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chiming in late, but I have owned both, and they're both really great rims. I think the quality of HED are slightly better, but both are really strong and "bombproof" as we like to say. My HEDs have held up longer, and it's easier to order custom wheels or to get rims built on HEDs. For rim brakes, I'd definitely go with HED, though my Flo rim wheels were also very good (I didn't like that the black anodization wore off, but it doesn't matter – just cosmetics.) I also like that HED is built in America and that ordering replacement parts etc. is much easier – instant customer service (my customer service requests were slow and one was unanswered). So, a nod to HED, but Flo is also great.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels: HED or Flo? [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wether something is built in America is an upside or not is really dependant on where you live. Import taxes Can be a b!tch. Of course, something custom made by experts should be better from an quality standpoint, But for mass production, that doesn’t really matter, unless you get something dodgy and higher Labour costs are money out if the Window for the end customer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No bashing HED, but I can say, FLO has been awesome on customer service.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's still a few of the last generation Flo disc-brake wheels in their clearance section. I bought a set of the 60s for around $750. Hard to beat that deal!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had a set of jet 6s and Ardennes and within 1 year I hit a small rock on a descent which bent the rim and cut the tire. Both freak incidents but HED offered me poor customer service. After the second incident I messaged their IG and was quickly blocked. Vowed to never touch a HED wheel again.

I would recommend Enve foundation 65 for a touch more. Budget price and lifetime accident coverage.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels: HED or Flo? [Porfirio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Flo on both of my bikes (road and tri) and I like them but find they don't answer emails from the site.

I've been following their blog and decided to try lower pressures (me: 92kg/205ish lbs) and dropped to 95 lbs but am getting recurring flats, like almost every ride. After I went back to 105 the flats stopped so I asked about that and never heard back.

Yes, I do the clydesdale builds.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels: HED or Flo? [lhmd21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lhmd21 wrote:
Big fan of FLO. Also, FYI - they have a discount for $100 off each wheel right now, or they typically provide 20% off using a discount code from the podcast (I think code is FASTER)

On that note, didn't Flo basically admit on ST that they raised prices by 20% because people demand 20% off sales? I assume most brands function this way, but as a rule of thumb just assume that 20% off is the virtual retail price when shopping for bike parts. Unless the brand has a strict no discount policy.
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels: HED or Flo? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do recall them stating that their prices have seen increases but have had more sales. i don’t know if they increased 20% and have the podcast code to offset it, but i would say their wheels are generally more affordable than others
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At similar prices and specs, always the one that looks coolest.

100 gram difference would be significant enough for me, though, so I'd go with the Flos out of those two choices (though in reality would most likely go with lightbicycle for half the price).
Quote Reply
Re: New wheels: HED or Flo? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
lhmd21 wrote:

On that note, didn't Flo basically admit on ST that they raised prices by 20% because people demand 20% off sales? I assume most brands function this way, but as a rule of thumb just assume that 20% off is the virtual retail price when shopping for bike parts. Unless the brand has a strict no discount policy.

As I recall they had to raise pricing based on import taxes or the like and then basically turned around and frequently offered consumers 20% off sales to call it a wash.
Quote Reply

Prev Next