Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New wetsuit with the most buoyancy!
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

I´m in the market for a new wetsuit for my next LD and since I'm a mediocre swimmer, I'm looking for a wetsuit with the most buoyancy for my sinking legs and lower body. Someone recommended the Sailfish One. Are there any other wetsuits, you would recommend?

Thanks, Stefan
Quote Reply
Re: New wetsuit with the most buoyancy! [Steve560] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desoto T1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
New Huub Varman - most buoyant ever apparently
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at the Orca 3-8.
A few buddies and I have these, some with rather sinky legs who are really helped by this suit.

Build quality sems good too - better than some rather 'fashionable' brands, from experience.
Last edited by: BobAjobb: May 27, 19 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fit is your most important thing with a wetsuit. 5mm is the max allowed, and often it is placed on the lower part of the body. Most brands have that in one of their models, so fit would be a major consideration. You can even check websites to see where each one puts their 4-5 mm rubber and then how many have 2-3 in the shoulders for better flexibility.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Re: New wetsuit with the most buoyancy! [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
Fit is your most important thing with a wetsuit. 5mm is the max allowed, and often it is placed on the lower part of the body. Most brands have that in one of their models, so fit would be a major consideration. You can even check websites to see where each one puts their 4-5 mm rubber and then how many have 2-3 in the shoulders for better flexibility.

^This!
Quote Reply
Re: New wetsuit with the most buoyancy! [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a tyr cat5. Fits fine, Except I’m tall and skinny and I could get one that would fit further down my legs and arms, only a little bit.
Do you think it would make much difference?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be hard to say without doing a dunk test on all the suits, but I bet it is the DeSoto T1 suit. Being two piece, it probably has more rubber than the others, and Emilio believes in putting 5mm in most spots, think he even has a suit with arms that thick. And being two piece, you can get a better fit for weird bodies, you dont have to guess who has long or short torso suits, and you can even size the top and bottom different if you are a bean pole...Try it out, think he has a no questions return policy too..
Quote Reply
Re: New wetsuit with the most buoyancy! [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
I have a tyr cat5. Fits fine, Except I’m tall and skinny and I could get one that would fit further down my legs and arms, only a little bit.

I doubt you'd get a lot of extra help with longer calf and arm length, but it depends on how much is exposed. Years ago many people cut the legs short to help getting out of them. If you're concerned with size, some companies (Roka, BlueSeventy and others) have tall sizes. I also know that Aquaman and Huub run pretty "euro" as far as slim fitting. The next factor is cost, as there are some really nice suits I've seen lately for a very reasonable cost.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve560 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I´m in the market for a new wetsuit for my next LD and since I'm a mediocre swimmer, I'm looking for a wetsuit with the most buoyancy for my sinking legs and lower body. Someone recommended the Sailfish One. Are there any other wetsuits, you would recommend?

Thanks, Stefan

Stefan, I'm afraid to say that your swim form is wrong. I would take some good swim lessons to correct your form first. A good instructor can change your swimming much easier and effortless. Buoyancy means thick wetsuit which means it's going to be bulky and tight. I wasn't able to breathe well, so I went with thin sleeveless one and I love it! Get the swim technique and form right and go from there.
Quote Reply
Re: New wetsuit with the most buoyancy! [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:

Most wetsuits today are designed so the arms end about halfway between your wrist and elbow and the legs end mid calf. Pull any extra material up into the shoulders.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: New wetsuit with the most buoyancy! [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the answers! I will try an older Orca 3.8 from a friend and also the HUUB Varman looks really promising! And swimming lessons are already scheduled!
Quote Reply