Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New training road bike, to disc or not to disc?
Quote | Reply
in the market for a training road bike now, used to riding a giant TCR classic, never tried the disc brake thing is it worth giving a shot seen as the market is moving in that direction or should i stick to what i know?

secondly what brands and models would people recommend. mostly ride Giant but open to any popular brands in the $2000-$3000 range

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New training road bike, to disc or not to disc? [LordFarquuad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rim brakes are dead
Quote Reply
Re: New training road bike, to disc or not to disc? [Onion bhaji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Onion bhaji wrote:
Rim brakes are dead
I hope not! But if I was in the market for a new road bike the future is disc especially at higher price points.
Unless you have some expensive rim brake wheels you want to use go disc.
Quote Reply
Re: New training road bike, to disc or not to disc? [LordFarquuad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will most likely never buy another bike with rim brakes. If you've been happy with Giant, the new 2021 TCR disc looks pretty sweet. TCR Advanced 1 is $3,200 with Ultegra and 42mm carbon wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc brakes are just better, period. They do require some new knowledge to maintain and there are definitely tricks to learn, but they are worth it, especially if you tend to train in adverse conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: New training road bike, to disc or not to disc? [Onion bhaji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Onion bhaji wrote:
Rim brakes are dead

This. The entire road/tri bike market has moved on from rim brakes. People will still ride rim brake bikes, because they already own them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the answer is “it depends”.

I ride inside mostly and almost never in the rain because rain in Texas almost always means lightning. I also like to be able to swap wheels between Tri and road bike. And, rim brake combined with HED black braking surface provides plenty of stopping power when needed. So, my decision to stick with rim was fairly easy. But, if you are the type to only upgrade every 20 years, now would probably be a good time to transition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a 2020 model Giant Defy with disc brakes. Comfortable for long rides and faster than it's rider. My tri bike is a rim brake bike but for daily riding, I am glad I bought a disc brake bike.
Quote Reply