Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to tubeless: how long should I expect tires to hold “riding pressure”?
Quote | Reply
Tubeless newbie here. Using Enve 4.5 AR rims, Enve 29 tires, orange seal sealant. I pumped them up to 65 psi 3 days ago and now they’re probably at like 30 psi. Is this normal with tubeless? Don’t hear any leaking or anything.
Quote Reply
Re: New to tubeless: how long should I expect tires to hold “riding pressure”? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ridden the bike? I lose maybe 5psi a week with Continental GP5000 tyres. And how much sealant did you use?
Quote Reply
Re: New to tubeless: how long should I expect tires to hold “riding pressure”? [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
been tubeless for 5 or 6 years now.

have a pump ready almost every ride.
I just got the new cadex w the cadex tires... and they are better. But after a couple days even they are down 15-20psi

quite typical to check at least once every 5-7 days. If I happen to ride very consistently they seem to hold a bit better. I did a 75 mile ride two weeks ago and was rushing out the door. Rode on 50-52psi with no issues. (couldnt really feel the difference)

daved

http://www.theundergroundcoach.com
Quote Reply
Re: New to tubeless: how long should I expect tires to hold “riding pressure”? [mikemelbrooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Have you ridden the bike? I lose maybe 5psi a week with Continental GP5000 tyres. And how much sealant did you use?

I haven’t not ridden the bike. It’s a new bike being delivered in the next few weeks. I used 55cc of orange Seale per tire. Enve rim tape. Both tires held pressure with no sealant for a few hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

how often do you have to replace the sealant? i ask because when they lose all their pressure, i would think that means the sealant would dry (maybe that's not true)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since the bike is being delivered in a few weeks, how do you know that the tires held pressure with no sealant for a few hours?
Quote Reply
Re: New to tubeless: how long should I expect tires to hold “riding pressure”? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Since the bike is being delivered in a few weeks, how do you know that the tires held pressure with no sealant for a few hours?

Because I bought the wheels separately.
Quote Reply
Re: New to tubeless: how long should I expect tires to hold “riding pressure”? [buzz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just added sealant 3 days ago. New setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t be too concerned yet if the wheels haven’t been ridden. Nothing distributes the sealant around the bead as well as actually riding.

One thing to check if it continues to lose a lot of air pressure would be valve stem tightness, both the stem and the core.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know we all get lazy but you should really inspect the tires and check the pressure prior to each ride. You never know what you might have picked up and a few minutes spent checking your equipment before the ride could save you grief. That said, my tubeless 25C Conti’s hold pressure 2-3 days, my tubeless Schwalbi’s on the gravel bike are good for about a week and my tubeless Maaxis on the mountain bike hold pressure 3-4 days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
triguy86 wrote:
I just added sealant 3 days ago. New setup.

IME riding the wheels seems to help seat the tires in addition to distributing the sealant as mentioned above. It also helps to hold wheels with axles vertical and flip outside edges up and down a few times, rotating the wheel and repeating at something like 1/4 of diameter. This will get the sealant and particles distributed around the bead seats. Check your tubeless valve nut tightness after inflation too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seems to vary from wheel to wheel. I've checked with my LBS mechanics and this mirrors their experience. 2 of my bikes are tubeless -- my gravel bike wheels (Stans Grail CB-7 Pro)will hold pressure for weeks without airing up. My mountain bike (Roval Carbon) front wheel holds air for a couple weeks, but the rear wheel needs air every couple days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have five bikes of various types set up tubeless, including one with a set of 4.5ARs and slick Gravelkings. I don't expect a new setup to "settle in" until I've ridden them at least twice. You really need a couple of rides to coat everything in sealant. You also might find you have a small leak at the valve, nothing a quarter turn of the valve nut won't solve. Even after that, some setups leak a bit more air than others due to the porosity of the tire, the pressure of the tire etc. NBD, I'm neurotic about pressure and pump all of my tires to within half a psi of my target before any ride.
Last edited by: hiro11: Apr 8, 21 5:44
Quote Reply
Re: New to tubeless: how long should I expect tires to hold “riding pressure”? [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I also pump up before every ride. Unfortunately I won’t have the bike for another few weeks due to production delays. I think they’re fine tho.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
normal with tubeless and air loss will decrease over time as the sealant seeps into and holes in the tires or bead/rim interaction issues.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I top off my tires before every ride. My tubeless (after the initial few rides) wheels have about the same loss for me as butyl tubes.

I have deceptive speed.........I'm slower than I look!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My tubeless lose about the same or a touch more than butyl and way less than latex. That is to say that I put air in all of my tires regardless every ride.

The first week or two you have new tubeless setup they leak a lot more until all the little voids are filled. Spin them around regularly until they seal well.
Quote Reply