Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to Zwift question .(Older rider )
Quote | Reply
65 years old and ride road only and approximately 5,000km per year at approximately 25km 27km an hour .5ā€™9ā€ and 190lbs .
Just purchased a smart trainer and wanting some advice on a basic training program on Zwift that will help me with fitness for when I can get back on the road in late March/early April .
Or should I just ride in Watopia 3-4 times a week putting in time and getting the km ā€˜s in the legs .
Weakness is climbing (Yes I know I could lose some weight ) so a gradual weekly program to increase my strength climbing would definitely help .
Thx
Last edited by: sward: Jan 23, 21 10:44
Quote Reply
Re: New to Zwift question .(Older rider ) [sward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even riding in Watopia you will get plenty of climbing.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://zwiftinsider.com/route-ride-schedule/

Just try to complete the route list for route achievement badges. Do some on you own or find easy group rides to knock some out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
.....just to keep it simple for fitness sake, Iā€™d suggest doing group rides. These make it mentally easier than riding virtually solo. You can throw in some racing if you want. For those times a group ride doesnā€™t match with your schedule, you can ride with the Pace Partner.....there is always a group following these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just start with the group rides, start with the slower/lower category ones and if they are too easy work your way up from there. I'd stay away from races until you're very familiar with Zwift or really want to bury yourself - they are hard!!

The group rides are great though. Choose one with a LOT of riders (like Tour De Zwift) and you will be riding with a spontaneous pack at your speed for most of the ride, and it's really fun AND motivating. You don't have to hammer it, but for sure, having ridden with that pack for awhile will mean you'll be much less likely to just drop out - you'll see what I mean when you try it.

The "Tour De Zwift" is going on right now, and I'd highly recommend those - there are 500 -1000+ riders at peak times!

And there is AMPLE climbing on Zwift depending on route. We just climbed the Alpe Du Zwift last week - was painfully awesome!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All of the above plus there are two groups that you might want to look into. The first is ZER which stands for Zwift Easy Riders. They have several rides a day at low w/kg. Thereā€™s also an active Zwift Seniors group. Many other groups including HERD which sponsor more relaxed group rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the group rides do not fit your schedule, try riding with the pace partners. These are 4 bots that ride around fixed courses at fairly consistent efforts, from pretty easy to very fast.
Quote Reply
Re: New to Zwift question .(Older rider ) [ThomD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks , that sounds perfect for me . How do I navigate to get to the Pace Partners ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you start Zwift, after you pair your devices, you should have a screen where you can select what route to ride, what workout to do and who(m) to ride with. At the top of the list of available riders is a box that says something like "4 pace partners". Click on that and then select the partner you want to ride with.

When you ride with the partner, you will automatically stay on their route. You do not need to select your route at intersections.
Quote Reply
Re: New to Zwift question .(Older rider ) [ThomD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx ThomD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever way you go, pick the Everest climb as your challenge so you start to earn your Tron bike. Might as well ride the glowing wheels.
Quote Reply