Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to Zwift: Power Pedals and Kinetic Road Machine Versus Kickr
Quote | Reply
Hi all - This has probably been discussed but I couldn't find it in a search. I'm looking to get onto Zwift. I currently have a dumb trainer (kinetic road machine) and assioma power pedals. It gets me on Zwift and it seems to work find. What more does a smart trainer bring to the game? Is it worth the upgrade?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: New to Zwift: Power Pedals and Kinetic Road Machine Versus Kickr [Alex M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alex M wrote:
Hi all - This has probably been discussed but I couldn't find it in a search. I'm looking to get onto Zwift. I currently have a dumb trainer (kinetic road machine) and assioma power pedals. It gets me on Zwift and it seems to work find. What more does a smart trainer bring to the game? Is it worth the upgrade?

You can do just fine with what you have. A smart trainer brings more realistic feel. Vs. shifting to get the right resistance on a dumb trainer. The resistance changes according to the slope, etc.

Or in training you can use erg mode to automatically set the power level, which can be nice.

Whether it's worth it depends on what you want out of Zwift.
Quote Reply
Re: New to Zwift: Power Pedals and Kinetic Road Machine Versus Kickr [Alex M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could spend ~$400 and buy a kinetic power control unit which would replace the flywheel unit on your existing unit and allow the game to control any workouts via erg mode. This wouldn’t provide the road feel that the wahoo and neo units do though.
Quote Reply
Re: New to Zwift: Power Pedals and Kinetic Road Machine Versus Kickr [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's tough to say if it's worth it to you.
But I will share my experience. I have had a power meter on my bike for years, so like you I was resistant to plunk down a healthy chunk of change on a smart/direct drive trainer, I finely got one last December, and to me it has been worth every penny and then some, before getting in more then 90 minutes on the trainer would be a real battle, now I routinely get in 2.5 hour trainer rides without even blinking or feeling like it's a challenge, the road feel and the engagement of the varying terrain really makes the time go by, and this isn't even getting into the erg mode that trail has mentioned.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: New to Zwift: Power Pedals and Kinetic Road Machine Versus Kickr [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You make a persuasive case for the smart trainer. I do 75% of my rides on the trainer. I'm all for a better experience. I found a great deal on a used Kickr core and I pick it up tomorrow. I've been debating on whether to keep it or sell it for a little bit more and make a few bucks. I'll give it a spin and give it a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Smart trainer has been a game changer for me, the ability to feel the hills makes riding and racing much more immersive. Also not having to deal with trainer tires and the constant tire pressure monitoring is a relief, my only regret is that I did not invest in the smart trainer sooner.
Quote Reply
Re: New to Zwift: Power Pedals and Kinetic Road Machine Versus Kickr [swimbikerun66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started Zwift 4 years ago with a Fluid2 trainer. After about 6 months I move to a smart trainer. Dropped my Gym membership to pay it off. It was the best move I made. Extra money from Gym membership has been put into my home gym and automation (voice used to turn on lights, computer, tv, music, etc.). Now all I do is issue the command, put on my shoes and start riding.

Back to trainer. You don't know what you are missing. Smart trainer is a game changer. Gives a realistic ride and immersive experience. Definitely recommend it. If you can, I would go to your local LBS if they have a Zwift set up and do a test ride, you will see it immediately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alex M wrote:
You make a persuasive case for the smart trainer. I do 75% of my rides on the trainer. I'm all for a better experience. I found a great deal on a used Kickr core and I pick it up tomorrow. I've been debating on whether to keep it or sell it for a little bit more and make a few bucks. I'll give it a spin and give it a try.

If you have a Core in hand you might as well use/keep it.
Unless you have your eye on one if the more expensive ones.

Quote Reply
Re: New to Zwift: Power Pedals and Kinetic Road Machine Versus Kickr [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Whether it's worth it depends on what you want out of Zwift.

Yup!

If you are just using Zwift to train and maybe do some easier rides "together" with other folks - the set up you have is OK.

If you want to race on Zwift, go on some harder "group" rides, and get a more overall realistic feel for what Zwift can deliver, then a Smart Trainer is the better option. My understanding is the direct drive ones are the best at really matching up with all of the functionality on Zwift. The Wahoo Kicker had been the go-to unit, but EVERYONE has upped their game in the past 2 years.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're planning to hardcore race, you'd actually be better off with a dumb trainer - you can go REALLY fast on the downhills.
But as the other have said - ERG mode really makes it feel road like. If money is the issue, consider getting an on-wheel trainer. I have had a Snap for 3 years... just have to have a trainer wheel with a throwaway tire.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: New to Zwift: Power Pedals and Kinetic Road Machine Versus Kickr [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recently went from a KK road machine to a kickr and there is much to love from ease of connection/set up to quietness (and not shedding tiny bits of tire) to the resistance changes on hills.

The *only* thing I was surprised by (probably because I didn't consider it when switching) is how low the base resistance is -- in regular simulation mode I"m in the big ring all the time and just tried to sprint in a group ride and was out of gear. (I've got a 50t on the bike on the trainer and also tend toward a lower cadence.) If I wanted to race on zwift I'd probably need to put a bigger chainring on the bike.

... so what alex-korr says about the advantage of the dumb trainer is real: there are times when a smart trainer reacts faster, etc., but in downhills and at high speeds a dumb trainer can work to your advantage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Alex M wrote:

I was in the same boat a little while ago when I picked up a first generation Kickr for a solid deal. I’ve kept both, and the kickr is great for intervals below threshold in erg mode (I hate it for anything above threshold). For regular riding, virtual racing, and higher intensity workouts I use both intermittently, with the kickr set at 0-10% so it’s basically a dumb trainer and I don’t have to shift all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: New to Zwift: Power Pedals and Kinetic Road Machine Versus Kickr [quadlt250] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an FYI for those that mentioned not being able to go hard enough on the downhills, do you know about the trainer difficulty setting on Zwift? I think by default it might be set to zero, move it up to 50% or even 100% and I am pretty sure you will get all the resistance you need.

Quote Reply
Re: New to Zwift: Power Pedals and Kinetic Road Machine Versus Kickr [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For downhills it's just the opposite, no?

Mine was set at 50% by default. Raising the setting increases how realistic the feel is. Lower the trainer resistance toward zero so that your trainer doesn't simulate the uphill or downhill as much (i.e., at a lower setting, the trainer does not make it feel so hard going up the hill and will not make it as easy to spin out on the way down)...?
Quote Reply
Re: New to Zwift: Power Pedals and Kinetic Road Machine Versus Kickr [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dand wrote:
Recently went from a KK road machine to a kickr and there is much to love from ease of connection/set up to quietness (and not shedding tiny bits of tire) to the resistance changes on hills.

The *only* thing I was surprised by (probably because I didn't consider it when switching) is how low the base resistance is -- in regular simulation mode I"m in the big ring all the time and just tried to sprint in a group ride and was out of gear. (I've got a 50t on the bike on the trainer and also tend toward a lower cadence.) If I wanted to race on zwift I'd probably need to put a bigger chainring on the bike.

... so what alex-korr says about the advantage of the dumb trainer is real: there are times when a smart trainer reacts faster, etc., but in downhills and at high speeds a dumb trainer can work to your advantage.

Something's not right unless you're capable of sprinting at over 40-45mph on the flats. Even then a 50x11 would still suffice.
Quote Reply
Re: New to Zwift: Power Pedals and Kinetic Road Machine Versus Kickr [kini62] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish that were the case 😎

Seemed like there wasn’t enough resistance once I got to around 1000 watts, but to be fair I may need to work on cadence to get higher. Tried just riding around wattopia today at easy pace and it seemed like I was relatively close gearwise to what I’d use at comparable speeds on the road.
Quote Reply
Re: New to Zwift: Power Pedals and Kinetic Road Machine Versus Kickr [dand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dand wrote:
I wish that were the case 😎

Seemed like there wasn’t enough resistance once I got to around 1000 watts, but to be fair I may need to work on cadence to get higher. Tried just riding around wattopia today at easy pace and it seemed like I was relatively close gearwise to what I’d use at comparable speeds on the road.

Well at 1000 watts you might well be running out of gear if your cadence isn't that high. I wouldn't know, I can get close to that power :-(
Last edited by: kini62: Oct 29, 20 19:14
Quote Reply