Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New race category: non-drafting AG
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone,

This is an idea that has been in my head for quite a while since my return to the sport in 2014. From my last IMWC, back in 2006, I remember that until the Hawi road, the non-drafting rule was hard (not impossible) to comply with because you had to ride below or above your race pace in order to not be left too much behind, or ride too early too hard. In 2006 I think we were about 1800 triathletes on the road. Last year there were 2455. Same bike course.
This scenario has been pretty similar around all IM events through these years.
Then we have the increased suspicious doping use in AG categories to make it more complicated.
So, as probably most of us know, the boom in IM (long distance) events is due to AG athletes who just want the "finisher" medal, not giving too much value to the finisher time. With this scenario, and world-class events taken place during a whole weekend, maybe is not unrealistic to have one day for PROs and this limited non-draft AG (no more rolling start), and the next day every AG else, with "no-rules-apply" & "no official finisher time" but an Official Finisher Medal.
For the PROs nothing changes. For this new AG category, less riders on the road and more referees (maybe even more doping test). And the next day, no referees, no chrono (17h limit time applies), no rules, even no winners just a finisher list, but all the fun. It could be a low-cost IM event with cheaper fees !
What are your thoughts, silly idea or not silly at all? Thank you.

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Re: New race category: non-drafting AG [Dr. Triax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt it'll happen any time soon (if at all) but it's certainly not ridiculous.

Maybe that classification could be made up of those AGers who have put their hands up during registration as self identified potentials for KQ slots (and presumably have some sort of racing record to back up that claim).

Set them off 1 min behind the PROs and a reasonable time before the rolling start, and it could be a success.
Quote Reply
Re: New race category: non-drafting AG [Dr. Triax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A few thoughts:
1) Huge increase in costs splitting events across 2 days. Maybe somewhat offset for the races that sell out immediately by being able to offer more places, but I don't see this working financially for less popular races
2) Racing a Saturday is a real logistical pain for races where you need to travel, register or check your bike in the day before. That's going to put a lot more people off
3) I think you're underestimating the importance not just of the finishers medal, but also the finishing time. Pretty much any time somebody finds out I've done IMs, the next question is "what time did you get?". I'm happy to enter a cheap local sportive/gran fondo which doesn't give official times because it's not the ethos of the event. If I'm paying $$$ for a triathlon I want a finish time, even if I'm nowhere near a podium
Quote Reply