Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite?
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this question today. Something fun to think about on a very serious day in the U.S.

I voted for run. I explored the world on my bicycle before I started to run for distance and miss the water if I'm out of it for more than a week, but there is no way to play that is more fun for me than a trail run or exploring a city on two feet. The need to run fast is an elemental need for me. I don't have the same deep need to swim or bike fast. If I could run as much as I wanted without getting injured, I don't know if I'd be a triathlete.

I'm not surprised that B has taken a strong early lead in the voting here.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Nov 6, 18 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 months ago I would have said the same thing, but i started to deal with a labrum tear in my shoulder that severely limited my time in the pool. I didn't realize how much i would miss being in the pool or my open water swim sessions. I've been sidelined a few times w/ foot issues, and never missed running as much as I missed being out of the pool. Was actually a surprised that I felt that way.
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run, it's easy, shoes on and out the door. About any weather will work. (I'm in Michigan).
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [mdtrihard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love bikes. All things bikes.

I run on occasion. The time out the door for me isn't much longer if the maintenance is done properly otherwise on the rigs. Everything has drink/nutrition, shoes, clothes, some kind of GPS device.

It takes a minute to pump tires.

I like it because on a run I'm only ever going to see a very localized part of my area. Connecting neighborhoods and greenway. On the bike, anywhere within 30 miles one way is possible.

However, I do appreciate having some run workouts to balance things out and feel/see different things at different speeds. You can't focus as long on your environment clipping along at 25mph versus running.

I can appreciate that. It is simpler also, but people DO get into rotating shoes and all sorts of head lamps and sock pairings and other doo-dads that can make it almost as complex as biking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Thanks for posting this question today. Something fun to think about on a very serious day in the U.S.

I voted for run. I explored the world on my bicycle before I started to run for distance and miss the water if I'm out of it for more than a week, but there is no way to play that is more fun for me than a trail run or exploring a city on two feet. The need to run fast is an elemental need for me. I don't have the same deep need to swim or bike fast. If I could run as much as I wanted without getting injured, I don't know if I'd be a triathlete.

I'm not surprised that B has taken a strong early lead in the voting here.

[pink] I'm surprised that swimming isn't getting more love [/pink]

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Running for me...by a longshot.

Running is the ultimate battle versus self in my opinion. It's one foot in front of the other, no worrying about flats, aero helmets, rolling resistance or any of that.

I do enjoy biking, the man connected with machine aspect, and I really enjoy tinkering with bikes but I would gladly give up biking for running if I had to choose.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cycling, but I'm best at running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, the % vote for each (at time of writing) is about equal to the % of an IM race you'll spend doing them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I chose swimming. First kid born when I was 30 second at 34. Between 30 and 45 I just did swimming as I felt I only had time for one thing.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I'm the contrarian. I love the swim. I love swimming. Swimming is such a mental relief for me - getting in the pool dissolves stress and in a tri, the swim allows me to center and feel good coming out to start the rest of my day which always goes down hill from there. :)

The run is my least favorite (but to be fair, repeated orthopedic issues and surgery makes running less fun).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love running, but running does not love me. The injury bug has been unkind to me. Choosing running would be like choosing a girl who doesn’t appreciate me.

Swimming has been very kind to me, but moving the needle is a mystery that feels impossible to solve. I’ve been stuck at the front of the B lane for what seems like forever. But, I do have a home there for as long as I want it. Choosing swimming would be like choosing the girl next door.

The bike is like a funnel that returns everything I put into it. It has become a strength purely because my ceiling is a function of my commitment. But the constant threat of assault by motorists basically eliminates the freedom my bike once provided. Choosing the bike would be like choosing a girl with a dragon tattoo.

How can I pick just one?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Started off as a runner at 15. At 21 got into triathlon in a BIG way. No real formal swim/bike training prior to that. For the next 16 years it was S/B/R for me - liked swimming the least of the three - and REALLY learned to love cycling. Walked away from triathlon pretty much cold-turkey at 37 and went back to running for a few years. No swimming, bike commuting to/from work. A bad back ended the running at about 43 and since then it's been all cycling!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love a long swim on a saturday morning to start my day

I love a summer bikeride in the countryside when I can see the sun-rise

I love a long run before a thanksgiving feast

I don't love pounding out SBR workouts just to pound out SBR workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But I like them ALL! Its like choosing between my children.

Swim because its the most challenging.

Running because I was a pretty decent runner of various sorts in high-school. Heck we had to run a 36m 10km just to make the varsity soccer team.

Biking for the ability to cover so much ground and see the sights and sounds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't really have an answer to this question. I like all three equally, all for different reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
I love running, but running does not love me. The injury bug has been unkind to me. Choosing running would be like choosing a girl who doesn’t appreciate me.

Swimming has been very kind to me, but moving the needle is a mystery that feels impossible to solve. I’ve been stuck at the front of the B lane for what seems like forever. But, I do have a home there for as long as I want it. Choosing swimming would be like choosing the girl next door.

The bike is like a funnel that returns everything I put into it. It has become a strength purely because my ceiling is a function of my commitment. But the constant threat of assault by motorists basically eliminates the freedom my bike once provided. Choosing the bike would be like choosing a girl with a dragon tattoo.

How can I pick just one?

Scott

hahaha

that is my favorite answer, by far!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I voted for bike. I love the speed, distance, solo and group rides! I was a swimmer through high school, got burned out but am starting to enjoy it a little again. Was never a good runner but I do enjoy an occasional trail run.
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
... Choosing the bike would be like choosing a girl with a dragon tattoo.

How can I pick just one?

Scott

I'm a moth to a flame....I already chose the dragon. What's life without a little (or a lot) of excitement?
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Nov 6, 18 13:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Run by far for me
I even like running in the freaking Rain!

Bike/Swim isn't something I can "turn my brain off" and just relax doing
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dtoce wrote:
GreatScott wrote:

How can I pick just one?

Scott

hahaha

that is my favorite answer, by far!

I concur. Thankfully, I can still feel the freedom on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swimming all the way!!! Going on 58 years old, it's the only thing I'm still getting better at. With running and cycling, I was as good as I will ever be, a long long time ago.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running. So much easier to get the training in. Can do it in all weather and right from your doorstop. It's efficient timewise and can probably train half as much to get similar results within the sport itself.

My wife is due to give birth to our first in Feb, and I will just be running for the most part until I decide to come back to tris, which might not be for a while.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is why I'm a triathlete: When I'm out running, the run is my favorite. But then when I'm riding, I think "I really, really like biking". And when I'm swimming (especially in the ocean) I think, "wow, isn't it amazing that I can swim--its almost like flying!" So I love and appreciate each of them, when I'm doing them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's funny - I'm constantly bemoaning how much I 'hate' swimming, and only do it because i have to for triathlon.

But then when you ask me about which segment of a triathlon matters the most to me, it's ALWAYS the swim for me! My bike and run almost always come in at the expected level which I'm happy with, but the swim makes all the difference in my results in the past 5 years (fortunately in a good way.) And if you wanted me to sum up triathlon for me, it would literally be 'swimming.' Anyone can bike/run (badly). Not everyone can swim the distance, even badly.
Quote Reply
Re: New poll question - Is S, B or R your favorite? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More people like the bike than running, a bit suprised by that.
For me it has a lot to do with ease, nothing is easier than just tying your shoes and get going, running is pure. For biking you have to either setup the bike or get dressed out of the door etc.
Also i feel like in hectic parts of my life, lets say when i one day get kids, i will not have time for all of it, but it is easy to find time for a jog etc.
Quote Reply

Prev Next