Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New paper on Low Carb High Fat diet and its effect on endurance exercise
Quote | Reply
Thought a few of you would be interested by this:
Adaptation to Low Carbohydrate High Fat (LCFH) diet is rapid but impairs endurance exercise metabolism and performance despite enhanced glycogen availability

Basically, LCHF improves your capacity at burning fat as fuel, but impairs your ability to access carbohydrates (your high octane fuel)

Disclaimer:
-I did not read the article in detail
-I'm not the author
-I'm a biologist but I do not know this field so I can't comment on the quality of this publication

Quote Reply
Re: New paper on Low Carb High Fat diet and its effect on endurance exercise [Team7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting...

I have been interested with the method of “endureIQ” and Dan Plews and started reading into it last night to see if it would work for me being plant based.

Anyone tried or have much experience with this method? Goods and bads?

Cheers,
Neil.
Quote Reply
Re: New paper on Low Carb High Fat diet and its effect on endurance exercise [irvs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From as much as I have read Dan Plews' investigations on the matter of LCHF diet for endurance athletes - one thing came quite clear that it is quite difficult to work it out for plant-based diets. It is easier if you are vegetarian (almost perfect), but when it's plant-based - then there are difficulties, as we do not get access to "clean" protein, without carbohydrates.

http://www.triflections.com
https://www.instagram.com/triflections/
Quote Reply
Re: New paper on Low Carb High Fat diet and its effect on endurance exercise [Team7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing this, I will probably purchase the paper and have a deeper look, but from what you shared:

- TeamSky seems to be right on timing the carbs depending on the workouts. According to their nutritionist, we also lost the ability to access that fast fuel if one sticks to LCHF/Keto for too long. I often use `24h keto` windows with my athletes, during the season to maintain fat oxidation capabilities gained in an offseason off `exclusive low carb`. There are also higher carb days.

- The author has worked with/for Gatorade and seems to continue to promote a higher carb choice for athletes. I find a tad suspicious, however I hope this study may inspire her to develop an `optimal` menu planning depending on the season and type of training, as now even as with a sugar water backer she has found some benefits in LCHF

My personal opinion is that shorter and longer bouts of LCHF is ideal if balanced with `carb refeeds` around more glycolytic sessions in the season. Age groupers may also benefit more than high performance athletes as it may likely improve their body composition and potentially some healh markers. FWIW, Ive been exclusive Keto for the last 7 years due to health issues (Type 1 diabetes).

Vinnie

--
Vinnie Santana, Multisport Coach
http://www.ironguides.net
* * * Your best is our business. * * *
Quote Reply
Re: New paper on Low Carb High Fat diet and its effect on endurance exercise [vinnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://sci-hub.tw/...org/10.1113/JP280221

Try the link above to read for free.
Quote Reply
Re: New paper on Low Carb High Fat diet and its effect on endurance exercise [irvs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
irvs wrote:
Interesting...

I have been interested with the method of “endureIQ” and Dan Plews and started reading into it last night to see if it would work for me being plant based.

Anyone tried or have much experience with this method? Goods and bads?

Cheers,
Neil.

I highly recommend this plan for men in the M45-49 AG...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duh. Eating low carb means your body won't have carbs to burn. Don't need to test this in a lab. I eat a normal diet these days (had to get away from dogma and "rules" form eating). Sometimes I fuel my rides, sometimes I ride fasted. I can do either. I think it's about the training more so than the diet.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5
Quote Reply
Re: New paper on Low Carb High Fat diet and its effect on endurance exercise [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is your understanding of a normal diet? Just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: New paper on Low Carb High Fat diet and its effect on endurance exercise [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
I think it's about the training more so than the diet.

What is?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Team7 wrote:
I'm a biologist but I do not know this field so I can't comment on the quality of this publication

The primary author has done more research around LCHF diets than probably any 2 researchers combined, at least that I can think of.
I can remember reading a study from her as far back as 1994 or 1995 regarding LCHF diets. Somewhere between 1993 to 1995 I was a subject in a study in which she was a researcher regarding LCHF diets and performance.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: New paper on Low Carb High Fat diet and its effect on endurance exercise [Kurinkuji] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah being vegan I couldnt do low carb high fat even if I wanted to. I certainly understand the appeal of being fat adapted but I have no issues with digesting food during endurance. Not that i eat a whole meal obviously but dried fruit is one of my favorite mid run/bike fuels. Carbs and electrolytes all in one (depending on the fruit) plus it's almost always cheaper than Gu
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boobooaboo wrote:
Duh. Eating low carb means your body won't have carbs to burn. Don't need to test this in a lab. I eat a normal diet these days (had to get away from dogma and "rules" form eating). Sometimes I fuel my rides, sometimes I ride fasted. I can do either. I think it's about the training more so than the diet.

I also do a mix of fasted (mainly z1-3) and fuelled (anything at sweetspot or higher, or long z2-3 rides) workouts. Seems to be a good compromise. I'm not at all sure that's considered a "normal diet" though.
Quote Reply