Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New or used once tires for IM?
Quote | Reply
I've often heard you should use a new pair of tires for a major race. Am I better off using brand new tires for IM or should I use them once before hand to make sure there are no flaws?

I have a new pair of tubulars and was considering using them in a half next weekend. Or, I can use an older pair next weekend and save the new tires for IMC.
Quote Reply
Re: New or used once tires for IM? [Brent F] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always felt that you make such a big investment ( time and money) in an IM that to do it on old tires is silly. I would glue up the new tires, put 25 miles on them and then race on them. Then you have some great training tires for your next race!

This might be the reason I have a box of tubies!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would never take your bike from the shop after a tune-up and just race without taking a test ride. The tires need to be tested as well.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: New or used once tires for IM? [mojozenmaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the analogy. Testing the tires does make sense. My gut was telling me I should do at least one ride on new tires before a race.

The arguement I had heard for racing on "never used" tires was you could pick up a glass spliter. The risks of there being a problem with the way the tire is seated is probably more than the risk of picking up a piece of glass in a test ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad you're using common sense with just broken in tires. I'm always amazed with the s#$%&y conditions of some people's bikes and gear at when they come to Ironman Hawaii. This should be the most important race of the year and they're riding worn out tires, no spare (!), have dirty chains and cogs, loose/absent brakes, frayed cables, cracked goggles, worn out running shoes, you name it.