Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New etap on an old Cervelo p2c - how hard/easy to install?
Quote | Reply
I'm about due for a drivetrain upgrade on my Cervelo P2c circa 2009 which hasn't had a crank change since then.

Actually, the REAL reason I want to upgrade the drivetrain is to specifically end the horror show of FD/RD internal cable routing on my Cervelo. Before you experts jump in at how easy internal cable routing is - this Cervelo is NOT so easy. The exit hole for the FD is so tiny that you can't even fit any adapter head of a Park Tool Internal Cable routing magnet kit into it, and you cannot even pass a minimal cable liner through it to lead the wire before you remove it. I've resorted to gluing a strong thread to the wire before I remove it, but even that is hit-or-miss as it comes off half the time.

Was thinking of doing eTap for wireless so I can avoid all the fuss, but am not sure how the battery/blipboxes would work with a bike that was never intended for wireless. Any other part swaps required, like new cockpit?

Di2 obviously is also considered, but I'll likely go with whatever is easier to install.

I also don't really have a preference for 1x vs 2x - I like the simplicity of 1x, and I'm not worried about running out of gears on hills.

Anyone who has advice on what to get, or who has done this upgrade themselves, please chime in!
Last edited by: lightheir: Oct 14, 20 8:54
Quote Reply
Re: New etap on an old Cervelo p2c - how hard/easy to install? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Was thinking of doing eTap for wireless so I can avoid all the fuss, but am not sure how the battery/blipboxes would work with a bike that was never intended for wireless."

Which battery are you referring to?
Quote Reply
Re: New etap on an old Cervelo p2c - how hard/easy to install? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Di2 on my TT bike and eTap on my road bike. My 2¢:

I would install eTap on the Cervelo, since it has PITA cable routing. Fishing Di2 cables would probably be worse than traditional cables.

The blipbox location is a challenge with all TT bikes. Most folks will attach it to the cockpit somewhere, maybe on the underside of a bridge piece or to the stem. Also, you will need to run blip shifters to the brake hoods (optional, but very nice to have). It is not difficult, but one of the downsides of eTap, since it does not offer integrated TT brake lever shifters like Di2.

Everything else about an eTap installation is ridiculously easy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I installed DI2 on a 2009 P2.
I slightly enlarged the front derailleur hole with a dremel.
I drilled the toptube (as per the tririg instructions) to get the wire into the frame.
Happy with the result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I'm about due for a drivetrain upgrade on my Cervelo P2c circa 2009 which hasn't had a crank change since then.

Actually, the REAL reason I want to upgrade the drivetrain is to specifically end the horror show of FD/RD internal cable routing on my Cervelo. Before you experts jump in at how easy internal cable routing is - this Cervelo is NOT so easy. The exit hole for the FD is so tiny that you can't even fit any adapter head of a Park Tool Internal Cable routing magnet kit into it, and you cannot even pass a minimal cable liner through it to lead the wire before you remove it. I've resorted to gluing a strong thread to the wire before I remove it, but even that is hit-or-miss as it comes off half the time.

Was thinking of doing eTap for wireless so I can avoid all the fuss, but am not sure how the battery/blipboxes would work with a bike that was never intended for wireless. Any other part swaps required, like new cockpit?

Di2 obviously is also considered, but I'll likely go with whatever is easier to install.

I also don't really have a preference for 1x vs 2x - I like the simplicity of 1x, and I'm not worried about running out of gears on hills.

Anyone who has advice on what to get, or who has done this upgrade themselves, please chime in!

There's no battery if you are using etap. Etap is perfect for old bikes like this since there are no wires inside the bike itself. Any etap wires woul simply be in the cockpit area. So, get a good cockpit/extensions/bento combination and you can make it very neat, clean and hide it all. If you want to use older 11 speed etap and do a 1x, you could also go 100% wireless and just shift from the blip box-that's what I did on my last setup. I explored various options for mounting the blip box on the extensions if you need some ideas-just let me know. If you want to do 2x or AXS 12 speed, that could work well too--there are many creative ways to hide a blip box, including in a bento. I would also consider checking out the Zipp Vuka Shift AXS 90. I haven't used it but looks like an option worth considering. Dan, or someone else on ST, wrote a front-page article on it if you want to check it out.
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 14, 20 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: New etap on an old Cervelo p2c - how hard/easy to install? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eTap does sound great!

I have no idea which etap to get. I obviously wouldn't need the ones with the road-bike style shifters for my TT bike. If you or anyone else could point me to a link with a groupset for sale or the one you used, would be super helpful.

Does this work?
https://www.westernbikeworks.com/product/sram-red-etap-aero-tt-electronic-groupset

Oh, and if I need any additional parts to make it all work, would be appreciated. I currently run 10-spd, so I think I'd need an 11sp rear cassette to make it work (unless I can use an adapter?) Not sure if I need a crankset upgrade for the front chainring.
Last edited by: lightheir: Oct 14, 20 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
link didn't work. I think everything I'm writing below is accurate!

-For older 11 speed etap 1x all you "need" is (1) RD and (2) blip box if you want to shift directly from blip box (otherwise, need optional blips or clics)

-For older 11 speed etap 2x, you need is (1) RD (2) FD; (3) blip box; (4) blips and/or clics

-For newer AXS 12 speed etap 1x all you "need" is (1) RD; (2) blip box; and (3) blips or clics (you can't shift directly from the new, smaller blip box so you must get clics or blips)

-For newer AXS 12 speed etap 2x you need is (1) RD (2) FD; (3) blip box; (4) blips and/or clics

-For newer AXS 12, the Zipp Vuka AXS Aero shift is another option. If you get this, you don't need a blip box as the extensions have the etap "brains" in there and it communicates directly with derailleurs
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 14, 20 10:09
Quote Reply
Re: New etap on an old Cervelo p2c - how hard/easy to install? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
-For newer AXS 12 speed etap...
The one tweak to the AXS options above is that you will probably need a new rear wheel and a compatible XDR freehub body.
Quote Reply
Re: New etap on an old Cervelo p2c - how hard/easy to install? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good call!
Quote Reply
Re: New etap on an old Cervelo p2c - how hard/easy to install? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
The one tweak to the AXS options above is that you will probably need a new rear wheel and a compatible XDR freehub body.

Goddang cycling gets $$$$ quick. Change one thing, gotta change 'em all.....

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info. I'll have to see whether this is all actually worth it - I'm spending so much with this setup that it may be simplest/easiest to just buy a new TT bikes outright given I suspect it'll cost me personally the entire difference in terms of opportunity cost of my time spent researching/installing/troubleshooting in on my Cervelo p2c.

In the meanwhile, I def still adore my P2c - except for those darn holes! I will likely drill out the FD cabling hole, as it's so tiny.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info. I'll have to see whether this is all actually worth it - I'm spending so much with this setup that it may be simplest/easiest to just buy a new TT bikes outright given I suspect it'll cost me personally the entire difference in terms of opportunity cost of my time spent researching/installing/troubleshooting in on my Cervelo p2c.

In the meanwhile, I def still adore my P2c - except for those darn holes! I will likely drill out the FD cabling hole, as it's so tiny.

Like anything else, it can be. But, doesn’t have to be. They are getting harder to find, but for 1x 11 speed etap, you can buy a blip box and RD for ~$500 and be done. Cheap and not a single wire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:

I have the exact same bike and have the etap axs 1x on it. I have had this set up for 9 months now and it has been flawless so far. I have the blipbox mounted on the carbon bta mount for the xlab torpedo by drilling a small hole in the carbon mount for the screw to mount the etap blipbox. The blipbox sits just in front of and underneath the torpedo bottle and just behind the bike computer.
Quote Reply
Re: New etap on an old Cervelo p2c - how hard/easy to install? [seifufu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@seifufu: I am curious to hear more about your project and setup, as I also want to upgrade my bike with SRAM eTap, but see a lot of challenges compared to 12 speed. I would like to keep my current Rotor 2InPower crankset (5 bolt version) - Their 110x5 1x rings are 11 speed compatible but not 12 speed. Rotor also proposed swapping my crankset to the CX1 spider to center the chainline for use in a 1x system. Next, my rear wheel must be compatible with the XD-R Body if going for SRAM AXS 12 speeds setup. Is there any room for 12 speed cassette in the frame at all? Do you have any any pictures of your bike installed with SRAM eTap AXS? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: New etap on an old Cervelo p2c - how hard/easy to install? [selmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sent you a PM. Basically, once you can fit the sram xdr cassette onto your wheel, it will fit into the frame without issues.
Quote Reply
Re: New etap on an old Cervelo p2c - how hard/easy to install? [seifufu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly,

if you want 12sp AXS you need to figure out if you can fit a XDR freehub on your rear wheel.

Everything else is easy to install and the fact not having to replace worn cables on these frames is priceless.
Quote Reply
Re: New etap on an old Cervelo p2c - how hard/easy to install? [Feehliks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just upgraded my 2013 P2 to eTap 11spd. I got a k edge mount for blip box that replaces the dust cap. Very clean build.

---------------------------------------------------------

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
exxxviii wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:

There are chinese made 12-speed cassettes that fit 11-speed shimano bodies.

like this one.
Quote Reply
Re: New etap on an old Cervelo p2c - how hard/easy to install? [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@jackattack: So you managed to get the old SRAM Red eTap before it was withdraw from the marked and replaced by 12speed AXS.
Quote Reply
Re: New etap on an old Cervelo p2c - how hard/easy to install? [selmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a long story, but I overpayed for a very lightly used 11spd set.

My high limit screw seized on the roadie FD and at the same time my Q factor got adjusted on my crankset during a fitting. . Resulted in over shifts that went from annoying to destroying my quarq when the chain went in between the spider and frame (discussed on a different thread).

I worked like crazy to try and get the screw out and didn’t think it was gonna happen. For some reason I couldn’t find any FD’s available and swapping to AXS was expensive AF.

So I ended up snagging an eTap TT set on eBay with plan to set it up 1x and use FD on roadie.

Pretty much right after that happened I decided I didn’t care about wrecking the old FD and ended up successfully drilling it out and fixing it. Frustratingly, I also saw several FDs pop up.

In the end, I have a good story and a sweet set up. Just way more expensive than it should have been and ultimately not necessary.

"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind and body can achieve; and those who stay will be champions."
Quote Reply
Re: New etap on an old Cervelo p2c - how hard/easy to install? [jackattack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any pics of these old P2/3s with an eTap set up? I'm running a '13 P3 mechanical and that cable routing on the downtube annoys me a little more each day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
selmann wrote:
@jackattack: So you managed to get the old SRAM Red eTap before it was withdraw from the marked and replaced by 12speed AXS.

SRAM isn't pulling 11-speed eTap anytime soon. In fact they just came out with an updated 11-speed eTap RD.

The one exception seems to be the blip box. Which is obviously a huge deal for any TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: New etap on an old Cervelo p2c - how hard/easy to install? [BOPer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: New etap on an old Cervelo p2c - how hard/easy to install? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't' think so, but everyone was completely sold out of eTap 11sp FDs in addition to the blip box. I saw the RD was slightly updated, which makes it all very odd.

Maybe they are just behind on production, but none of the shops had any info at all. I did a quick search just now, and I can't find any in stock still.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice setup !!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That looks super clean! Looks like I’ve found my next upgrade.
Quote Reply

Prev Next