Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [mike@wahoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike can't wait!, I was planning making the commitment to go Computrainer this fall/winter and live with the problems, but the Kickr seems to solve the biggest pain points for me.

I hope you don't meet too many delays, because you now have at least 1 customer holding out getting a Computrainer to get the Kickr.
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

kuddos for what sounds like an awsome product. I've read this tread and Rainmaker's review, but not sure if I've missed it - but what kind of resistance is the trainer? I know the Lemond is wind-resistant, which is why it's relatively noisy. But what about the Kickr - is it fluid?

Best regards
Søren
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [AndrewMarvel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's got an electric magnetic brake. I think the proper term is electro induction braking, but I'm not sure.

It doesn't feel like a regular mag trainer because of two reasons:

1) they can be smart about when to apply braking and when not to.

2) they have a large fly wheel

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [mike@wahoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most importantly: Will it be available in Europe?
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [eigner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes - it will be available in Europe. Probably at same time as US.

Mike, as far as simulating gradient, I'm sure the resistance goes a long way, but does one also have to use risers on the front wheel (and if so, is there any exception to using them w/ the Kickr)?
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [Trippertim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have already begun to modify our RaceMyGhost app to fully utilise what this trainer will bring to indoor training. It will mean the rider can set up a very specific training program including intervals and climbs and then race there previous best, worst and average rides.
This trainer is the best innovation cycling has seen for a long time and the open API makes the potential endless.

Euan

RaceMyGhost.com
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [dockt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The KICKR is designed to have the front wheel on the floor. The rear height can be adjusted to use a 24" wheel up to a 29er. If you want to create your own gradient, in theory you can use any combination of rear wheel adjustments and front wheel risers. That is up to you but not what is intended....

What about Australia/Asia?!

----------------------------------------------------------
2011 Cannondale Slice
Eat. Sleep. Swim. Bike. Run. Win
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks great, Mike.

Just to make sure we are thinking about this right, it has two modes, a slope mode and an erg mode.

The slope mode is almost like a regular trainer, but has some adjustability for the resistance curve. This is why it needs a cassette and the ability to change gears. You choose your own resistance and cadence by how you ride/shift.

The erg mode will match the resistance to a pre-determined wattage. Here there is really no need for the cassette or ability to shift. If you want to spin at a higher cadence for a given power output, just pedal faster, the resistance will decrease accordingly. Could even run it as a single speed and have exactly the same experience.

Correct?

Again, this looks fantastic. If it is as good as it looks, I will be buying one when they are available.

Thanks again
Andy
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if the folks at RacerMate realize that they're still selling (Betamax) VCRs?

The writing's on the wall: Betamax, VHS, Kodak, Blockbuster, Computrainer.....

king of the road says you move too slow
KING OF THE ROAD SAYS YOU MOVE TOO SLOW
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [ttocsmi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttocsmi wrote:
I wonder if the folks at RacerMate realize that they're still selling (Betamax) VCRs?

Extremely doubtful that RM will see the writing on the wall quite yet. Their entire marketing approach is to focus on the results of athletes who use CompuTrainers rather than on the product itself. As long as pros and sponsored athletes continue to win races, I think they’ll continue to cling to illusion that all is well and consumers will be swayed by some tertiary pro winning a 70.3 halfway across the world rather than by an objective comparison of products.

Even so, I don’t think they’re going anywhere in the near future, I think they’ll survive for a while by catering to an ever-diminishing base of luddites. Not sure if that will sustain them indefinitely, but definitely will impact their bottom line.
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
ttocsmi wrote:

Extremely doubtful that RM will see the writing on the wall quite yet. Their entire marketing approach is to focus on the results of athletes who use CompuTrainers rather than on the product itself. As long as pros and sponsored athletes continue to win races, I think they’ll continue to cling to illusion that all is well and consumers will be swayed by some tertiary pro winning a 70.3 halfway across the world rather than by an objective comparison of products.

Even so, I don’t think they’re going anywhere in the near future, I think they’ll survive for a while by catering to an ever-diminishing base of luddites. Not sure if that will sustain them indefinitely, but definitely will impact their bottom line.

What a joke. Show me where the RM stuff does not work? The SW folks comments are dumb. For a lot of us we just use the power stuff, I do not need any of the fancy tools. I just ride with a small subset of training
intervals. Boring is boring. I just put the work in and the equipment just works. Now, when using a trainer a lot, the Velotron was worth every penny I had to pay for it. The thing just works.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

What a joke. Show me where the RM stuff does not work? The SW folks comments are dumb. For a lot of us we just use the power stuff, I do not need any of the fancy tools. I just ride with a small subset of training
intervals. Boring is boring. I just put the work in and the equipment just works. Now, when using a trainer a lot, the Velotron was worth every penny I had to pay for it. The thing just works.

It’s not an issue of something working or not working, everything ‘works’. It’s an issue of people having different opinions of how they want their products to work and the features that are important to them.

Clearly, you represent a segment of the market who is satisfied with the current offerings. There are definitely others in your camp, but you don’t represent everyone. You speak from the perspective of your specific needs and wants in relation to your specific product, the Velotron.

What I don’t quite understand however is the tone you are taking in response to this. No one is calling you dumb for owning a RM product, many of us do. However, on the contrary, you are calling others dumb for not sharing your exact sentiments for what you want in a trainer?

I don’t quite understand how it is a personal offense to you that others might want to buy a trainer that works differently than your own, or use it differently than you would use it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

It’s not an issue of something working or not working, everything ‘works’. It’s an issue of people having different opinions of how they want their products to work and the features that are important to them.

Clearly, you represent a segment of the market who is satisfied with the current offerings. There are definitely others in your camp, but you don’t represent everyone. You speak from the perspective of your specific needs and wants in relation to your specific product, the Velotron.

What I don’t quite understand however is the tone you are taking in response to this. No one is calling you dumb for owning a RM product, many of us do. However, on the contrary, you are calling others dumb for not sharing your exact sentiments for what you want in a trainer?

I don’t quite understand how it is a personal offense to you that others might want to buy a trainer that works differently than your own, or use it differently than you would use it?

I am responding to the posts that say the RM products are a joke. I agree let the market decide. My opinion is their products are great. Perfect nope. Current bleeding edge technology? Nope.
Works for some of us? Yep.

It just gets old the folks who just attack it seems everything. If you do not like RM products, great, buy something else.

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough. For the record, I don’t think RM’s products are without merit. They still are very effective training tools, and it’s pretty safe to say they can do everything you really need to do on a trainer.

By that same argument, I could say though that the P2K is everything you really need in a triathlon bike. The difference between the two however is that the last 10 years of bike development has yielded plenty of examples of products that do the same basic thing as the P2K, but do it lighter, faster, stiffer, etc. Independently, both still are great products, but it is only through comparison to its competition that one can still be sold as a flagship product and the other relegated to the past.

And it is that competition, or more aptly, the lack thereof, in the ergo trainer market that has brought us to present.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tgarson wrote:
Fair enough. For the record, I don’t think RM’s products are without merit. They still are very effective training tools, and it’s pretty safe to say they can do everything you really need to do on a trainer.

By that same argument, I could say though that the P2K is everything you really need in a triathlon bike. The difference between the two however is that the last 10 years of bike development has yielded plenty of examples of products that do the same basic thing as the P2K, but do it lighter, faster, stiffer, etc. Independently, both still are great products, but it is only through comparison to its competition that one can still be sold as a flagship product and the other relegated to the past.

And it is that competition, or more aptly, the lack thereof, in the ergo trainer market that has brought us to present.

I agree. I cannot tell you how many years I have heard of a new product coming out that was going to put RM out of business. It may happen some day, but in the mean time, my trainer kicks my butt.
Even though bikes cost more money, and look cooler, etc., has it really made folks faster? If this was true, the Pro's would be going under 8 hours at IMH. Look at the bikes Dave Scott and Mark Allen
rode compared to today's stuff. They would still kick most pro's butts riding those bikes against todays bikes. It is all about the engine.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
tgarson wrote:

I agree. I cannot tell you how many years I have heard of a new product coming out that was going to put RM out of business. It may happen some day, but in the mean time, my trainer kicks my butt.
Even though bikes cost more money, and look cooler, etc., has it really made folks faster? If this was true, the Pro's would be going under 8 hours at IMH. Look at the bikes Dave Scott and Mark Allen
rode compared to today's stuff. They would still kick most pro's butts riding those bikes ( and drafting the media van) against todays bikes. It is all about the engine.

FIFY.

Oh, and apparently you missed the part about how, just last year, due to a HUGE improvement in his bike split (which coincidentally occurred once he got an actual, FAST bike, and also finally used an aero helmet), Crowie set a new course record.

We don't want little things like facts to get in the way of your opinions.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [AndyPeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Andy,

There are four modes available to developers. The names may change and generally they will remain under the covers to be utilized by Apps.

Standalone: If you plug it in without a head unit, it will use a pre-loaded power curve that simulates an outdoor ride. Power is exponential with velocity. This mode can be adjusted with a head unit by setting the level, 1-9. Default is level 1.
Manual Brake Mode: You can set the brake power from 0 to 100%, 0 represents off and 16384 full on.
Erg Mode: Set the power to a known wattage. This can be changed as often as you like from the App for pre-programmed workouts.
Sim Mode: This mode allows you to set the coefficient of rolling resistance, coefficient of Wind resistance(including frontal area and air density), and grade. This allows the developer flexibility to simulate slopes, drafting, different road surfaces, getting in and out of aero position, etc.

thanks,

Chip@Wahoo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was pricing info released at Eurobike? I have had a look around but can't find anything.

Hopefully you will make this available in Europe before we are all forced indoors to do our training.

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, it's not exactly what he is saying in his book...
in 2010, he was just not focus, that's it. And just came back and train harder. it's not only about his material!
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
callidus wrote:
Was pricing info released at Eurobike? I have had a look around but can't find anything.

Hopefully you will make this available in Europe before we are all forced indoors to do our training.

Nope, it's in this thread in a few spots that pricing and availability will be announced at Interbike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks - I must have read Eurobike instead of Interbike....

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interbike is here....when can we expect pricing?
Quote Reply
Re: New electronic trainer at Eurobike - Wahoo Kickr [ffmedic84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
available on January 1 at $999 according to dcrainmaker.com.
Quote Reply

Prev Next