Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New eTap 12 speed
Quote | Reply
So it seems that FCC has pulled the cover from the new eTap 12 speed: https://apps.fcc.gov/...ment.html?id=3896093

So for us on tt bike there is a new smaller BlipBox, but unfortunately it loses the possibility to shift directly from it.
Now, apart from the obvious move to 12 speed, it seems also that there is an update also on the electronics, with a new Bluetooth connection which seems to be used to connect to an app called AXS where it is possible to configure shifting pattern(it is called Enahnced Shifting mode).

Only Xdr cassettes it seems(the biggest is 10-33), with also a new DUB road cranckset standard.

For 1x configuration it will be better, because with the 10 cog the range increase substantially: an actual 11-25 with a 52-36 chainring will be equivalent to a 48 chainring with a 10-33 cassette, with no really big jump between each sprocket.

I think I’ll switch to the new one, moving the 11 speed eTap that I have on the road bike where I’m keeping the front derailleur(for now)
Quote Reply
Re: New eTap 12 speed [crazyeng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good catch on the FCC documents. I like the idea of the smaller Blip Box. That was really the only criticism I had of eTap. I guess I am ambivalent about the rest of the upgrades. I have too much invested in 11sp, and rim brakes/Powertaps, to do the 12sp upgrade.

I can see that this probably is the start of the general move to 1x for Tri. Now let's see if frame manufacturers start attaching front derailleur hangers with screws so they can be easily removed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Link not working. I get a not authorized to use.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: New eTap 12 speed [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://fccid.io/...r-Manual-3896093.pdf

Cue the Eminem: “So the FCC wont let me be, or let me be me....”

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get the 10T cog for 1x, but I'm not digging it for a 2x setup. Wonder of the cog spacing will match some of the 12-cog cassettes that fit a standard HG freehub and/or the Campy 12s cassettes.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: New eTap 12 speed [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm will the 12 speed fit on an 11 speed hub or would we need to upgrade wheels etc. ?
Quote Reply
Re: New eTap 12 speed [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From the article above:

'To accommodate that 10T sprocket, SRAM will finally implement on a wide basis the XDr freehub body that was quietly introduced in 2017. XDr is similar to the XD body that SRAM uses for its 12-speed Eagle mountain bike cassettes, but with a 1.8mm-wider format (Eagle’s huge inner sprockets can be cantilevered out over the driveside spoke flange, which isn’t possible with a road-sized cassette). Thankfully, the total body width is shared with other modern freehub standards, so hub compatibility shouldn’t be a big issue.'

So you'll need a new freehub body but should not need new wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: New eTap 12 speed [ollie3856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that this means that the SRAM 12 speed drivetrain parts may not be compatible with Shimano parts. Is this right? if so, seems like a horrible move for SRAM.

At least the new BB will fit most frame shells out there - so that's good.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: New eTap 12 speed [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you mean the cassettes wont be interchangeable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a big fan of the 10t but this will still be of interest to me. I have three TT frames at the moment (I have a problem) but they all can accept the same 24mm crank (Rotor + Power2Max) and I use the same wheels. I like the idea of being able to swap the whole drivetrain by just moving the crank, chain (they basically all have the same chain stay length), rear derailleur, and blip box.
Quote Reply
Re: New eTap 12 speed [BayDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BayDad wrote:
Hmmm will the 12 speed fit on an 11 speed hub or would we need to upgrade wheels etc. ?

I've seen these hub conversions the cassettes install a bit differently it seems. I wonder if a wheel would need to be re-dished after conversion. I would assume so, thus if you're going in a Sram 12 speed, you're really going all in...no switching between Sram/ Shimano wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So is enhanced shifting like synchroshift?
Quote Reply
Re: New eTap 12 speed [ollie3856] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Pretty sure that the wheel might need to be redished.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
for the SRAM cassette they are saying you'll need their freehub body which should fit on most current wheels, for Shimano you'll need whatever body they are using as/when they actually launch road 12 speed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
after I got over the 1x setup idea, i moved past SRAM's 12 speed eTap. for all the hassle this creates I don't think anyone currently riding really "needs" a 12 speed - i sure as hell don't.
Quote Reply
Re: New eTap 12 speed [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
casper3043 wrote:
after I got over the 1x setup idea, i moved past SRAM's 12 speed eTap. for all the hassle this creates I don't think anyone currently riding really "needs" a 12 speed - i sure as hell don't.

Mountain bikers sure love SRAM Eagle. Maybe they don't "need" it (whatever that means). But they like it.
Quote Reply
Re: New eTap 12 speed [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah, point made...wasn't considering MTB's in a triathlon forum.
Quote Reply
Re: New eTap 12 speed [casper3043] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
casper3043 wrote:
yeah, point made...wasn't considering MTB's in a triathlon forum.

I don't think this is really just a triathlon forum anymore. Lot of roadies. There's talk of a Slowtwitch gravel team. Which may include gravel tri, but I certainly don't think is restricted to that. I think the days of a narrow focus on hour+ steady-state sub-FTP power on mostly flat terrain are coming to an end, if they haven't already.
Quote Reply
Re: New eTap 12 speed [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

I don't think this is really just a triathlon forum anymore. Lot of roadies. There's talk of a Slowtwitch gravel team. Which may include gravel tri, but I certainly don't think is restricted to that. I think the days of a narrow focus on hour+ steady-state sub-FTP power on mostly flat terrain are coming to an end, if they haven't already.

Although in the last 20 years we've gone from 3x7 to 1x12 and had to buy 3 (4?) new sets of wheels to cope with all this and every time all the more experienced / stronger cyclists have all said 'we don't need more gears'. I'm just surprised that Shimano, Campy and SRAM haven't come out with a new range that drops the saddle height by 1cm which would appear to solve a lot more people's needs based on this forum over the years....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you guys think the new Blip Box will be compatible with the previous 11sp version? It would make for a great upgrade...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Grabbed the pic of new blip box for your convenience:

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: New eTap 12 speed [duduardoman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duduardoman wrote:
Do you guys think the new Blip Box will be compatible with the previous 11sp version? It would make for a great upgrade...

Yep, I would love to know this as well.
Quote Reply
Re: New eTap 12 speed [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if new blip-box will be compatible with old eTap system.
And hopefully some more new TT stuff (new brake blips / integrated with brakes)
Quote Reply
Re: New eTap 12 speed [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same, would be interesting if Sram forces you to keep everything kosher like Shimano does.
Quote Reply

Prev Next