Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New drafting rule at Kona
Quote | Reply
From Insidetri.com:
"a change in anti-drafting regulations for the pros resulted in a huge buzz. USA Triathlon head official Charlie Crawford announced that after nearly a decade of petitioning, the World Triathlon Corporation approved his request to institute the stagger rule used in many North American short-distance non-drafting triathlons.
Essentially, the pros will no longer be required to stay in a line on the right side of the road unless passing. Instead, pros will be required to stay two meters to the right or left of the nearest bike in front of them -- positioned in a staggered lineup on the road. They will not be required to remain 10 meters behind the bike in front as long as they are in staggered position.
"Under these new rules, two pro riders can theoretically ride next to one another for the whole ride, as long as they are two meters apart," says Crawford. "One of the better things about this rule is that the pro women will no longer have to drop back 10 meters and pull back in line every time they get passed by an age-group man. Pro women can ride the whole way to the left side of the road, as long as they maintain a staggered position." "

I think this is a mistake, particularly at Kona. It will allow people working together a lot of relief from crosswinds at the expense of those out front on their own. The fact that the rule requires 6 feet rather than 2 or something like that makes it better but I still think its a problem. I can also imagine enforcement problems with asking officials and racers accostomed to the 10 meter rule to go to the new rule on short notice. I'd be curious to hear what others think.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Re: New drafting rule at Kona [Rich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that the pro women are put at a disadvantage by overly ego-threatened male AG'ers...it's a shame that a male AG'er could pass a pro woman and make her back off the pace a bit to keep from getting a penalty.

However, you have a good point about working together in a crosswind...since staggering is the correct way to "draft" in a crosswind. Maybe they should go up to 3 meters in a stagger. Maybe they should make the drafting penalty much higher so that nobody would want to be caught drafting at all...15 minutes instead of 3 for the first offense.

This still leaves the pro women with the original problem, though. Maybe any male AGer that passes a pro woman is required to continue to lengthen his lead on her, or be forced to wear a pink Afro-style wig the remainder of the race...or something like that. Or be forced to wear a big sign that says, "I made a pass on that woman, but I couldn't keep it up" ;)

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Last edited by: yaquicarbo: Oct 17, 03 16:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I can also imagine enforcement problems with asking officials and racers accostomed to the 10 meter rule to go to the new rule on short notice."

is it short notice? i've known about it for some time, tho i don't remember where i first heard about it. but then we're dealing with pros, so i don't guess i'm surprised that none of them have heard about it.

i don't think it'll really make any difference, except it'll be easier for the pro women, who get sucked up in the age-group men packs and get penalties they don't deserve. the tough part is parsing the rules so as to apply AG rules to the men in those packs, and pro rules to the women in them. i still think the biggest problem in kona is in letting the AG men have WAY too much rope when mixing with pro women.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New drafting rule at Kona [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that rule is big BULLSHIT!!!!
can't think of anything more stupid...
a strong cross wind...and one of those on the
same line is put at a BIG advantage...

I can't believe that they came up with such a rule...
they might as well say yes to drafting now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the rule change is simply an attempt to correct the problems that the current draft rules create. Unfortunately, it also seems to negate the drafting rule restriction.

WTC needs to decide whether or not to accept the limitations and problems that the no-drafting rules creates. It's seems their attempt to create a fairness like "drafting" race has (again) only complicated the drafting issue and (in fact) inadvertantly diluted the no-drafting rule.

It seems the rules about drafting may fall into a black or white categories and leaves no room for being "almost pregnant". Either you allow drafting or you don't. This new variation of the rule may be simply be seen by some as a modified form of drafting. Perhaps that is what fairness is all about - defining equality in terms of some being more equal than others.

No matter which side of the drafting issue you may side on... the new drafting rule didn't make the issue simplier, less confusing or easier to enforce.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: New drafting rule at Kona [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the stagger rule is nothing new [except at kona] it is in force at every "Pro Rules" race in the US. I would think most of the pros will be quite at home with it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: New drafting rule at Kona [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Moya wrote: "No matter which side of the drafting issue you may side on... "

Of course, I'll be on the leeward side ;)

Seriously, they need to do something about the men AGer's mixing with the pro women...a pro woman got penalized last year for too quickly re-passing an overexuberant male AGer. She broke the rules and is responsible, so her penalty was warranted, but, the infraction may have been primarily caused by the male AGer's inability to maintain the pace he used to pass her initially. That's not fair.

As far as how much notice would be sufficient, all I'd need is 10-15 seconds to digest that new position policy, and I'd be set to race or to officiate....it ain't rocket science.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: New drafting rule at Kona [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
However, you have a good point about working together in a crosswind...since staggering is the correct way to "draft" in a crosswind. Maybe they should go up to 3 meters in a stagger.

Sad things happen when tri-organizers try to re-design cycling rules.

As you (and the others above) have pointed out a "stagger" (i.e., an echelon) is drafting in a cross-wind situation -- in fact, it's far more efficient than actual wheelsucking.

Anyone who's watched any race in Belgium, Holland or northern France in the past 110 years would have known this -- as would anyone who's watched geese migrate. :-)
Quote Reply