Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New chinese TT frame
Quote | Reply

I think this one has been debated somewhat in other threads, but here is actually pics of the frame and seatpost. I have seen some shots earlier, but without the different seatposts. It looks like you could cover most st angles with these.
What do you think of it? The price isn't really intimidating (580 dollars on ebay, marginally lower from the manufacturer/trading company). To me it looks like they've tried to mimic the new Merida with a tad Cervelo in it.

Last edited by: Peddaswe: Dec 21, 09 0:05
Quote Reply
Re: New chinese TT frame [Peddaswe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it looks to have some Transition characteristics also. I wonder if those seatposts will fit a Transition. I know some people were having trouble trying to get a straight post and Specialized listed them at some outrageous price.

Quote | Reply
It looks really beautiful.
Quote Reply
Re: New chinese TT frame [jyeager] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
It looks really beautiful.
I thought the bare carbon look of this one was pretty good

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well considering the seller has zero feedback, that would scare me more than buying a knockoff carbon frame.

A year or so ago, there was a lot of talk on weightweenies about very cheap Ritchey WCS forks (I think), that were breaking. My understanding was that the forks being sold on eBay were being made in the same facility but did not pass quality control and some employee was grabbing them to put on Ebay. Tough to know whether this kind of thing is happening in this situation too.

If I were you, I'd buy an aluminum P3 (like this one) and not worry about it.

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: New chinese TT frame [jeremyb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sure, the seller has zero feedback, but the frame is available at some other places as well if the potential buyer wants one. Most often nude carbon, but painted in some cases also. I'm not saying I'm going to buy one of these, but it would of course be interesting if someone did get one and gave us some sort of verdict.

FWIW I believe these frames often comes with some sort of one or two year warranty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A warranty is only good if you can actually cash it in.

In Reply To:
FWIW I believe these frames often comes with some sort of one or two year warranty.
Quote Reply
Re: New chinese TT frame [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A warranty is only good if you can actually cash it in.

In Reply To:

Exactly, and IF the seller is selling bikes stolen from the scrap heap, would you trust that he'd give you a warranty? Maybe its totally legit, but maybe its not.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Of course, and for that reason it would be equally interesting if someone actually tested the customer service/warranties. It's no secret that high priced brands often have good customer service. I wouldn't expect the same customer service if I'd buy a $300 frame as if I would when I buy a $2000 frame.

From the scrapheap or not, this frame is just another open mold produced en masse. But we have seen other dittos which actually have been quite good and good value for money.
Quote Reply
Re: New chinese TT frame [bermudabill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
it looks to have some Transition characteristics also. I wonder if those seatposts will fit a Transition. I know some people were having trouble trying to get a straight post and Specialized listed them at some outrageous price.

And if/when that seatpost snaps during a ride, what would you do? When you buy a Transition post, you aren't paying just for the materials of the seatpost. You are paying for the warranty, the R&D, and the advanced differences in manufacturing. Like I wonder if those posts have an internal rib to stiffen them laterally (like the real Transition post), since a very tall, but very narrow post without one, might be a bit risky. The Transition post is a LOT of carbon. They are REALLY long, plus they are aero (meaning more material is required vs say a 27.2 round post). If you compare them with any other well made carbon post on a $/g basis for example, they wouldn't seem so expensive. But carbon fiber - especially good quality stuff - is expensive. And those posts require a lot of it. Plus they are actually not as simply a part as they might appear.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
A year or so ago, there was a lot of talk on weightweenies about very cheap Ritchey WCS forks (I think), that were breaking. My understanding was that the forks being sold on eBay were being made in the same facility but did not pass quality control and some employee was grabbing them to put on Ebay.

Are you sure about that? I may be thinking of a completely different incident, but two or three years ago several hundred "Ritchey WCS forks" were sold very cheap on ebay. A rep from Ritchey made it known through weightweenies that the manufacturer had made some forks for Ritchey, but then Ritchey had gone with someone else. Only later did the same rep claim the issue with the first manufacturer had been quality control (after forum members suggested that Ritchey had simply found someone cheaper). And even then he wouldn't give any indication of the nature of the problem. Oddly enough, I never read about any of those forks breaking. (Several forum members pointed that out at the time.) The incident didn't exactly endear me to Ritchey. And I'm still using my bootleg fork.
Quote Reply
Re: New chinese TT frame [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well this guy's fake developed a crack.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boy it does look nice....but who is going to risk the dough to buy from a guy who has no feedback/sales. If it was AL might consider but being its Carbon, no way.....
Quote Reply
Re: New chinese TT frame [paulthejogger70] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
looks like the new planet x tt frame...
Quote Reply
Re: New chinese TT frame [studodd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is that the frame with the hidden brakes?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dig it. Both for price and lack of decals/logos. Don't advertise for anyone unless they're paying you to do it.

Keep us posted on how it works out for you. We bargain shoppers need someone to lead the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

No doubt the rear half looks like a Transition, but the headtube sure doesnt.

Front looks like an Orbea Ordu

Last edited by: jeremyb: Dec 21, 09 12:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.tritalk.co.uk/...183b0a36f8b70928eeba

I think it does look a lot like the new Planet X TT
Quote Reply
Re: New chinese TT frame [djciii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
close, but not the same mold. Head tube isnt as pointy on the PX:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
True. The following links shows the difference between the two.
The one discussed above, here in black:
http://www.greatkeen.com.cn/...arbon_handlebar.html

The new PX, here in the Bailey-shape:
http://www.bailey-bikes.com/...reemartin-time-trial

Didn't manage to insert these pics. Sorry for that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually this is not the new PX frame either! This design is from carbontec
http://www.tritalk.co.uk/...der=asc&start=15 but it is very similar to the PX.
Quote Reply
Re: New chinese TT frame [studodd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually...I'm pretty sure this is the new PX frame. I've sent a few e-mails back and forth to them. The above linked frame will be available in the smaller size and not the two larger sizes until April or so. They will be able to get in in gloss and possibly unfinished carbon as well. In the tritalk thread, the initial PX leaks showed an unfinished carbon frame that I thought looked pretty cool. Would love to see that in a large and I would love to get this frame unfinished in the proper size, but I'm not sure I can wait that long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now its in black and $20 cheaper

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...s.aspx?ModelID=46779

looks a bit like this one.
Last edited by: The_Swede: Dec 24, 09 5:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just recieved this frame from a guy that is importing them for his own bike line (www.boydbikes.com). The seat tube is different from the Transition. At the time they only had the curved seat post but Boyd has the straight one on order for me. The bike is being built and should be ready next week. I'll post some pics once it's done. BTW Boyd has been great to deal with and he has a good relationship with the manufacturer!
Quote Reply

Prev Next