Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New bike decision - 2019 Trek Speed concept or 2019 Qr PR5
Quote | Reply
Help, new bike decision - 2019 Trek Speed Concept or 2019 QR PR 5??? Assuming both fit, ride/feel similar and are about the same price... which would you go for???
Quote Reply
Re: New bike decision - 2019 Trek Speed concept or 2019 Qr PR5 [Jaswedd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jaswedd wrote:
Assuming both fit, ride/feel similar and are about the same price...
You should get both, but first get the one that looks better.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike decision - 2019 Trek Speed concept or 2019 Qr PR5 [Jaswedd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would personally get the QR because it’s offered in disc brakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on how badly you want disc brakes. I find zero need for them in a tri bike, but to each their own. I ride a speed concept and I think it’s a superior bike
Quote Reply
Re: New bike decision - 2019 Trek Speed concept or 2019 Qr PR5 [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mind if I ask what wheel set you run with your SC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was t addressed to me, but I run Flo 30 for training and Flo 60/60 Carbon for racing.

I have a SC and love it. I’ve never felt the need for disc brakes. But YMMV I suppose depending where you love and train.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should buy both of these, the two Argons you were on about earlier, ride them all and put the three you least enjoy up on the classifieds.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike came with Bontrager Aeolus comp 5’s. I put a premierbike disc on the back and leave the comp 5 front on
Quote Reply
Re: New bike decision - 2019 Trek Speed concept or 2019 Qr PR5 [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO: disc brake will future proof your investment.... But integrated headset should be faster.

I guess it depend where you train / race and how much you have invested into wheels...

I was debating between Cervelo P5 and QR P6 Disc... decided to go with Cervelo because i could get it at LBS (easier in theory), so far didn't receive my frame and QR will have been easier to deal with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go with the Speed Concept. Great cockpit, arguably the fastest bike on the market, and an all-around great bike. I run Hed Jet Black 4 front, disc rear.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike decision - 2019 Trek Speed concept or 2019 Qr PR5 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t get the Canyon, since it’s the lightest bike and very aerodynamic (wink, wink...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which one makes you want to ride more. Get that one.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: New bike decision - 2019 Trek Speed concept or 2019 Qr PR5 [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Don’t get the Canyon, since it’s the lightest bike and very aerodynamic (wink, wink...)

No experience with Canyon but the warranty experience I had with Trek was nothing short of amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a SC so of course I will say get the Trek..........assuming fit is not an issue the SC is faster and disc breaks are not really needed in a Tri-bike. As Trek said "we didn't make a SC with disc brakes because we couldn't make it faster with them". Also if your braking a lot in a triathlon your doing it wrong.

If you want disc's then get the QR obviously but if your looking for speed and integration get the Trek. If you want to bling it out you can't beat Trek Project 1.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike decision - 2019 Trek Speed concept or 2019 Qr PR5 [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Scottxs wrote:
I...Also if your braking a lot in a triathlon your doing it wrong

unless you are actually training outdoor on your tri bike. Braking may be a little more important then :-)
Quote Reply
Re: New bike decision - 2019 Trek Speed concept or 2019 Qr PR5 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Scottxs wrote:

unless you are actually training outdoor on your tri bike. Braking may be a little more important then :-)

Except that rim brakes work just fine.......

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a SC with Enve 7.8 full-time wheels. Great combination, except wet-weather braking. If you do lots of hilly training / racing or wet-weather, the SC is a great bike. If in the hills or wet weather often, do the disc brakes. Either bike is fast.

Do you travel often and need to fly or pack a bike into a bike bag? That also might make a difference tilting towards the QR.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike decision - 2019 Trek Speed concept or 2019 Qr PR5 [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
marcag wrote:
Scottxs wrote:

Except that rim brakes work just fine.......

Agreed. The braking advantage of disc brakes is as exaggerated at the aero cost of disc brakes.

I run rim brakes and I got rid of carbon wheels because they didn't brake as well, during training, especially when wet.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike decision - 2019 Trek Speed concept or 2019 Qr PR5 [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Hot sports opinion here...

There is nothing extraordinary about the Canyon. The only reason the vast majority purchase it is to "win" retail, although lots of people try to convince themselves otherwise. Otherwise, it's a middle-of-the-pack performer that does nothing specific really well.

The Speed Concept is a superior bike in pretty much every way, except in the price they charge for Shimano components. The QR is also a superior bike to the Canyon, but the margin is thinner.

I will say though that the Speed Concept does give the Speedmax a run for its money as the most commonly mis-sized bike purchased today.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: May 23, 19 7:07
Quote Reply
Re: New bike decision - 2019 Trek Speed concept or 2019 Qr PR5 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i find that suprising...unless you mean mis-matched in terms of stems and the one piece spacers, then i could see many running into trouble. But actual bike size shouldnt be much an issue i would have thought?
Canyon, on the other hand. Is it the trend to size down on them? my friend just got one, rode a large shiv all his life, over 6 foot, rides a medium canyon...a generic size 54 or medium bike for folk like myself at 178cm, would be riding a size small canyon more than likely.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike decision - 2019 Trek Speed concept or 2019 Qr PR5 [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
i find that suprising...unless you mean mis-matched in terms of stems and the one piece spacers, then i could see many running into trouble. But actual bike size shouldnt be much an issue i would have thought?
Canyon, on the other hand. Is it the trend to size down on them? my friend just got one, rode a large shiv all his life, over 6 foot, rides a medium canyon...a generic size 54 or medium bike for folk like myself at 178cm, would be riding a size small canyon more than likely.
Trend? The trend is that people are buying Canyons that are too small quite frequently. That and nobody at Canyon seems to have a clue about proper crank length for a triathlon bike (I've seen small Canyons ship with 175s). Pretty much the entire European continent - at least inside the offices of bike companies - has zero understanding of crank length and its relation to performance and bike fit.

With the SC, there's really no way to divorce the bike size and cockpit selection given the effort required to change the cockpit. If you understand that the average Trek dealer thinks standing over the top tube is an effective way to determine bike size and that virtually zero Trek dealers have and use a fit bike, then you begin to understand why nearly every SC you see (under the average triathlete) has a High-Near cockpit. If you have a High-Near cockpit, the odds are significantly better than you have a bad bike fit and are on the wrong configuration than they are that things are set up appropriately.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: May 23, 19 7:23
Quote Reply
Re: New bike decision - 2019 Trek Speed concept or 2019 Qr PR5 [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was making this exact decision last year, and went QR because of the standard steerer tube interface and non-integrated brakes. I REALLY liked the SC, and it the integration is so slick, but the ease of living with the QR was just too strong of a pull. I know frame-wise I'm likely giving up a couple of watts, but I can live with it, and knowing I can make smart component/ hydration choices to narrow that gap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just sells itself with this picture. Wish I had one instead of my shiv.

2019 T-Rex Tri Series
Quote Reply
Re: New bike decision - 2019 Trek Speed concept or 2019 Qr PR5 [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the Speed Concept is better than the QR and the QR is better than the Canyon? Do you have any quantifiable data to support those statements? I’m sure Canyon Jay might have a different perspective. I do know that the Canyon is the lightest of the three bikes with the QR being second and the Speed Concept being third. I would think aerodynamics are pretty comparable across the board for all three.

trentnix wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
Hot sports opinion here...

There is nothing extraordinary about the Canyon. The only reason the vast majority purchase it is to "win" retail, although lots of people try to convince themselves otherwise. Otherwise, it's a middle-of-the-pack performer that does nothing specific really well.

The Speed Concept is a superior bike in pretty much every way, except in the price they charge for Shimano components. The QR is also a superior bike to the Canyon, but the margin is thinner.

I will say though that the Speed Concept does give the Speedmax a run for its money as the most commonly mis-sized bike purchased today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

Has anyone done an aero comparison with the Canyon for us to say it's fast?
Quote Reply

Prev Next