Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New bike advice. P3 vs PR 5 vs canyon
Quote | Reply
I’ve been doing internet research for months on my new purchase and have narrowed it down to these three options:

1. 2017 Cervelo P3 with SRAM eTap for $5050
2. 2018 Quintana Roo PR Five with Di2 for $4815 (price after 10% discount QR is offering for usat members)
3. 2018 Canyon Speedmax 8.0 Di for $5000

I am going with electronic shifting, and am looking at the ultegra Di2 versions except for the SRAM eTap on the P3.

I know this is all subjective, but would appreciate your opinions.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice. P3 vs PR 5 vs canyon [Thestevebrandon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
all very good bikes.

BUT which one fits you best? This is really the critical question.

.....only other point would be resale in the future - I think the depreciation on a Cervelo will most likely be less than on QR or Canyon.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice. P3 vs PR 5 vs canyon [cgrubb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point. I forgot to mention that I have seen a bike fitter who has confirmed all three will work for me. I am 6’6”, so I wanted to make sure before I dropped this much money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
....then I would go Cervelo - simply because sometime in the future inevitably you will want to sell it - maybe in one year, maybe 5 years - I think Cervelos are way easier to sell secondhand than a QR or Canyon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What wheels do you have?

If the bikes are equipped in a similar manner to what I can online (at similar price points) you get serious race wheels with Canyon, slightly lower budget race wheels with the QR and training wheels with the Cervelo.

If you already have race wheels or will be buying a disc I would be tempted towards the Cervelo. If you don't have wheels and/or haven't budgeted for them I would go with the Canyon.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice. P3 vs PR 5 vs canyon [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All fantastic options and you probably cannot go wrong with any of them if they all fit you properly.
For me personally, I prefer Di2 over eTap on a TT bike, although each to their own on that front.
I have a real soft spot for the Canyon and the QR, but realistically the time benefits between these three bikes is likely to be pretty small, so I would be looking at after-sales support in your area, ease of servicing and packing/unpacking.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice. P3 vs PR 5 vs canyon [pbnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pbnz wrote:
For me personally, I prefer Di2 over eTap on a TT bike, although each to their own on that front.

Why Di2 over eTap -- like what are the particular advantages of one system over another specifically for TT? I'm in a similar position to OP, and presumably I'm not thread jacking as OP specified different drive trains so it's clearly an important consideratio.

OP -- I'm personally leaning to the Canyon, since the inclusion of race wheels clearly makes it to the best value for money. Even if you have your own wheels, you could sell the DT Swiss (or your old wheels) for likley $1-2K which makes the Canyon 20% cheaper. My sense is that all 3 bikes fit similarly, ride similarly, and aren't far apart in ability to hold speed.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice. P3 vs PR 5 vs canyon [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
pbnz wrote:

Why Di2 over eTap -- like what are the particular advantages of one system over another specifically for TT? I'm in a similar position to OP, and presumably I'm not thread jacking as OP specified different drive trains so it's clearly an important consideratio.

OP -- I'm personally leaning to the Canyon, since the inclusion of race wheels clearly makes it to the best value for money. Even if you have your own wheels, you could sell the DT Swiss (or your old wheels) for likley $1-2K which makes the Canyon 20% cheaper. My sense is that all 3 bikes fit similarly, ride similarly, and aren't far apart in ability to hold speed.

Love my SLX 8.0!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went from a 2015 P2 to a Canyon CF 8 Di2 (the same one you mentioned).

1) I sold my P2 for $1500 vs $2800 purchase price. I guess thats not so bad , Not sure resale will be for a Canyon but look wise I get a lot of compliments on the Canyon.

2) If you decide to get the QR or Cervelo and want race wheels I am selling the DT Swiss wheels that came with my bike (I run HED Jet 6/9 and prefer a metal brake track). PM Me and we can work out a deal.

3) Value/price-wise the Canyon was a clear winner for me, I had considered the Felt IA10 ($5k) but given the fact that you get race wheels with the Canyon made it a no brainer.

4) It's tough getting support on the Canyon considering its a direct to consumer bike. I had small things that needed adjustment and had to take them to a LBS who always frowned when they saw my bike.

Thestevebrandon wrote:
I’ve been doing internet research for months on my new purchase and have narrowed it down to these three options:

1. 2017 Cervelo P3 with SRAM eTap for $5050
2. 2018 Quintana Roo PR Five with Di2 for $4815 (price after 10% discount QR is offering for usat members)
3. 2018 Canyon Speedmax 8.0 Di for $5000

I am going with electronic shifting, and am looking at the ultegra Di2 versions except for the SRAM eTap on the P3.

I know this is all subjective, but would appreciate your opinions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

None of the above.

A 2008 P3 will cost you $400-$600 for the frame. And you get a real BB -- no Presshit.

You can build it up with EtapDi2 and a good set of aero bars for another $2000. Voila. I just saved you $3000. Now you can spend that on a good Hed Jet+ disk and Jet+9 front wheel. It will be faster than any of the above and you won't have BB troubles.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 6'4. Love my Canyon
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice. P3 vs PR 5 vs canyon [jens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jens wrote:
None of the above.

A 2008 P3 will cost you $400-$600 for the frame. And you get a real BB -- no Presshit.

You can build it up with EtapDi2 and a good set of aero bars for another $2000. Voila. I just saved you $3000. Now you can spend that on a good Hed Jet+ disk and Jet+9 front wheel. It will be faster than any of the above and you won't have BB troubles.

I thought the chainstay on the 08 P3 was too short for Etap. I don’t think it’s on their list of approved bike. I have an 08 P3 and would love Di2. Wish there was someone in my area that would install it internally.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice. P3 vs PR 5 vs canyon [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
I thought the chainstay on the 08 P3 was too short for Etap. I don’t think it’s on their list of approved bike. I have an 08 P3 and would love Di2. Wish there was someone in my area that would install it internally.

It works great on my P3. Caveat: I have a 1X setup with Etap wifli and 11-32 in the rear.

My latest book: "Out of the Melting Pot, Into the Fire" is on sale on Amazon and at other online and local booksellers
Quote Reply
Re: New bike advice. P3 vs PR 5 vs canyon [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's looking at the CF 8.0, not the SLX ;)

He could setup that CF 8.0 with the PD front bottle and PD stem and make it super clean. And throw the TriRig front brake on there and it will be quick and less of a headache to wrench on than the SLX.

The CF 8.0 at $5k w/ DT Swiss wheels is a great value, don't think he would be disappointed with it.

Someone else mentioned Cervelo holding better resale value....That is true as of now, but hard to know how Canyon will do on the used market, I would say they will hold value really well considering the demand is still very high. And either way at this guy being 6'6" being able to sell a bike of that size is never going to be easy..............

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply