Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New bike, new position. Please critique.
Quote | Reply
OK, so it's been about 3 months since I got the new bike, but I finally got round to taking some shots of it and my position on it. It's not quite as forward as my last bike, which I was riding around 79 degrees, this ones set about 76. The idea was to be a little more relaxed as I'm aiming for my first ironman next March.

I took the photos after this morning's training ride. I didn't realise the aerobars were tilting so far down, normally they're flat, and have been put back after I saw this, I hit a speedbump this morning and must have landed hard on them. I tightened them down a bit further too.

Please feel free to make your comments and suggestions. I'll be taking one or two of the spacers out over the coming weeks, to see how that works for me.

J.

http://www.jkath.com/photos/bike_setup/titanflex1.jpg
http://www.jkath.com/photos/bike_setup/titanflex_position_1.jpg
http://www.jkath.com/photos/bike_setup/titanflex_position_2.jpg
http://www.jkath.com/photos/bike_setup/titanflex_position_3.jpg
http://www.jkath.com/photos/bike_setup/titanflex_position_4.jpg
Quote Reply
Re: New bike, new position. Please critique. [Freeflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: New bike, new position. Please critique. [Double-Avocados] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Feeling guilty and "giving back" something to the Forum? ;-) You have a LONG way to go padwan...

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lose the spacers, all of them.

And take pictures after you've pedalled a bit and are actually at your riding position. These look like poses.

-

Quote Reply
Re: New bike, new position. Please critique. [Double-Avocados] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that, on a Mac so can't do that.

cheers.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike, new position. Please critique. [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, they're posed, I have to trigger the self timer using the remote, so they're going to be a little bit posed to get the leg positions right. However, I'd just come back from a 50k ride about 5 minutes before, I think it's about where my position is, and feels about right compared to where I am during my rides.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's that bulge in your right sock?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, so drop the spacers :-D

Also note that the bike is not leveled, that is why the aerobars didn't feel so tilted down when you were riding.

Do you have the Visiotech aerobars as well? Those are lower and with them you would have a bigger range of positions.

-

Quote Reply
Re: New bike, new position. Please critique. [Turtle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
variety of ankle bands, collected from various places I've travelled.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike, new position. Please critique. [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, the aerobars are profile aerolites. Will consider saving for the visiontechs. The back wheel is only about 3mm off the ground on the trainer, is that what you meant by not levelled?

When riding, what else would you level? The bump was near the end of the ride, so I hadn't been riding with it like that for long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
variety of ankle bands, collected from various places I've travelled.

"ankle bands"... like the one Martha Stewart wore?

;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

While I am loathe to disagree with the SAC, lower is not always better. I went too low last winter and had some terrible rides before I went to a fitter and he raised me up about 3-4 inches. It felt like the lazyboy for a while, but then I found I could stay on the aerobars all day. Slightly less aero, but on the aerobars is better than super-aero if you can't hold the position.

I just wanted to make sure you recieved some conflicting advice. :) This would not be slowtwitch without it.

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice bike, I dig it.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not a posture contest. Allow your back to relax and bend a little bit. You may be a bit stretched out (and that's causing you to reach by lengthening your back unnaturally).
Quote Reply
Re: New bike, new position. Please critique. [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was the idea, the fitter thought a more relaxed position might be better as i worked towards the ironman distances.

I think I'll drop a spacer and see how I feel, take it slowly, one at a time and ride for a while with it.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike, new position. Please critique. [Erik Clark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, been my dream bike for ages, took a long while to save and get it. Very very happy with it indeed.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike, new position. Please critique. [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is my back relaxed. I have a very flat back, each fitter has commented on it. I have shots of me riding somewhere, and they show the same thing.
Quote Reply