Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish)
Quote | Reply
The Aergo bars... nice name I guess.

Not quite the custom solution of Speedbar, but the first(?) of what's likely to come. (haven't seen price... being LOOK probably not a ton cheaper than the custom options :D )

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That has the potential to be really comfortable with the added contact area
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Wonder what the point price will be on these

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve never tried a bar with extra contact area so I guess I can’t really comment, but it just doesn’t seem necessary to me. Regardless, this bar just seems to be trying a little too hard to be different. Interested to read more about it, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An article I read a few days ago said it would be ÂŁ1069 (~$1400 US). The carbon bridge with an integrated bottle cage and computer mount is an extra ÂŁ145
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
20 degrees of forearm tilt and 70 degrees of grip angle. That’s a hell of a lot of adjustment to play with.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's interesting how the extension hinges to let you adjust the grip. Makes sense from LOOK though. Not a bad idea.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DISCLAIMER : I work for LOOK.

Morelock, thanks for sharing.

Feel free to ask any questions, I'll try my best to answer !

If that's ok I'll just try to explain below what you can do with AERGO, which like you say does what the custom extensions do... except... they are not custom, very simple to find and very easy to adjust to your exact needs !

1) Pick your base bar, three options : 31.8 clamping with cable routing for "road", 31.8 clampling with stiffer basebar and no cable routing for track, LOOK 796 TT bike specific base bar. All base bars have two brake extensions stack position compare to their center : +/-6,9mm for the 31.8 round base bar, +/-25mm for the 796 base bar.

2) Please note the position of your base bar (up or down) will also define the Min/Max arm pads stack position you will be able to achieve since you can go up to 55mm from your starting stack position on Aergo.
Here are the 4 starting positions :

Last edited by: pyf: May 7, 19 1:48
Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3) Arm pads stack adjustment (if you use UCI legal bridge or optional triathlon bridge they are equal to a 5mm spacer).

4) Arm pads width adjustment (from elbows almost touching each other to "quite wide")

5) Arm pads reach adjustment (free to adjust from -27mm to +27mm... no holes)

6) Extensions tilt position from 0 to 20°, again no preset positions

7) hands grip angle is going to be what you want, no need to swap extensions for a different model, etc.

Last edited by: pyf: May 7, 19 1:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
8) hands grips angle from straight to inside is very adjustable too

9) and of course your elbow to hand grip distance is adjustable, you might need to cut the extensions once, but that still leaves a lot of adjustment (definitely not a final cut to a 1mm adjustement...) if you cut the extension flush with elbow cup you can still increase elbow to hand distance by 20 to 30mm depends on where the cut was made relative to the holes pattern.

10) finally as an accessory for triathletes there is the triathlon bridge, allowing bottle cage mounts in many positions (to allow extraction of bottle front to back or back to front) and install your computer any way you want (I mean it... really !).

I will leave it to users to talk about comfort and aerodynamics... but as a side not on adjustment I would say that having used it with many athletes (including aero testing in Wind Tunnel and on the Velodrome with French Track Team + Denis Chevrot) and also used it myself that after the first installation is done, it is very very fast to test positions. Stack is longer than Monorise options since there are spacers and different bolt lenghts involved, would be lying if I was saying the opposite, BUT, after that, usually your elbow to hand position is already defined and from there you only untighten the two bolts underneath the pad to adjust both reach and tilt so it's super easy to try longer/shorter reach, lower/higher hands, all while keeping elbow-forearm-hand very well supported.

It's also quite a light setup which was not on top of priority list (it's an aero and ergonomic product before everything else) but always good to take considering for example 70.3 World Championship is going to be quite a tough bike course this year !

Sorry I was a bit long, hopefully it will help some and if you have some questions, again, happy to help !
Last edited by: pyf: May 7, 19 10:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to ask about arm pad width, but you covered just about everything there. Great information and that thing is ridiculously adjustable. But if you don't want to use the tri-bridge how does one mount their Garmin?

My YouTubes

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have any drawings showing the cable routing for the 31.8 road version?

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overall I like it. Big range of adjustability.

Two questions
1.) What is the width of the base bar? (Didn't see it but might have missed it)
2.) What kind of support will this have, especially looking a few years down the road? I don't think it's an unfair criticism of LOOK to say that their high end products are very difficult (for the US at least) to source parts for, especially once they are out of production.

Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [LAI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LAI wrote:
I was going to ask about arm pad width, but you covered just about everything there. Great information and that thing is ridiculously adjustable. But if you don't want to use the tri-bridge how does one mount their Garmin?

Fair question !
It's been a big R&D topic to be honest and this is what we have now :
A- Triathlon bridge with computer OK (Garmin / Wahoo / Polar / Bryton).

B- UCI bridge (delivered with all AERGO handlebars) with Garmin or Polar computer mount attached with band around it OK. Position of the computer is a little bit behind what some riders may prefer but at the same time we are talking UCI legal so UCI legal position too which is often "less in front" than triathlete position. We've considered making that bridge a computer mount too, having holes in it from the start but we tried to keep that UCI legal bridge as slick as possible... could change if this is a request we see every time.

C- No bridge at all, for now NOT OK with default parts, so it will take a bit of playing around from the customer (with plates like Alden Carbon for example). I know it's not a perfect answer but we have so many adjustments that we found many solutions that were working 80% of the time (for example using the first set of holes where the extensions leave the arm cups extended area to thread a 2 arms - so that is can articulate to accommodate any toe-in angle... that's a good solution, that excludes the smallest person that have no hole to be seen outside of the extensions...) but not for the last 20% of the configurations, etc. So... still a work in progress to have no triathlon bridge + computer mount quite in the front of the system.
Last edited by: pyf: May 7, 19 11:04
Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There you go :

Electronic

Mechanical

For the brakes housings : inside the stem directly on 796 base bar, at the back of the bar on 31.8 road/TT base bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.) it's on the website, but no problem confirming here ;-) : 400mm center to center.

2.) we are getting better and better in the USA with LOOK USA being very good at supporting the product. A big advantage for this product is that everything is in the box (except for Triathlon bridge which is a separate part) so you get all spacers, all bolts, UCI bridge, etc. But you are right all parts need to be easily available and we are working hard for this to be the case. All the parts below have part numbers and can be ordered if necessary (sorry that doc has parts described in french...).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gotta say, that's a slick looking bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea if the extensions will be available separately?

pyf wrote:
1.) it's on the website, but no problem confirming here ;-) : 400mm center to center.

2.) we are getting better and better in the USA with LOOK USA being very good at supporting the product. A big advantage for this product is that everything is in the box (except for Triathlon bridge which is a separate part) so you get all spacers, all bolts, UCI bridge, etc. But you are right all parts need to be easily available and we are working hard for this to be the case. All the parts below have part numbers and can be ordered if necessary (sorry that doc has parts described in french...).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
it's interesting how the extension hinges to let you adjust the grip.

This is actually a fantastic idea. I wonder why other companies don't do this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So I guess the base bar comes apart so that you can piece it together in any of the up/down configurations you want? Does this have any advantages for travel perhaps?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn’t appear to come apart, but seems to be flip-able. Like the Giant Trinity, BMC TimeMachine, or ENVE SES bad.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
I’ve never tried a bar with extra contact area so I guess I can’t really comment, but it just doesn’t seem necessary to me.

Back around '89, I got a set of arm rests (I think they were Flite Controls?) that were about 6" long, to replace the foam "mountain bike grips" that the original Scott DH bars used as armrests. Those were amazingly comfortable, and the added support made a huge difference. A few years later I switched to Profile bars, and the smaller Profile arm rests were a huge step backwards, but unfortunately those arm rests weren't compatible. I've never tried anything since that gave the same amount of comfort and support...

*Edited to add image

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Last edited by: Warbird: May 7, 19 11:32
Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excited for what this might lead to, from a trickle-down standpoint, in a couple years. $1400 is steep, but in time...?
Quote Reply
Re: New bars from LOOK (adjustable Speedbar'ish) [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely impressed after reading more about these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since your advertisement shows shots in the wind tunnel, what can you share about that experience for the bar?
Quote Reply

Prev Next